Posts by Wheresthedug

Again, if this is the case, then how is it that it only happens when plugged into the Kemper and not when plugged into any other processor, amp, mixer, etc/? It's not intermittent. I'm sitting here going back and forth right now. Plugged into the amp, everything is great. Plugged into my computer interface, great. Back to the amp, great. Into the Kemper, gated and distorted (unless I turn the volume down). Back to the amp, great....

OK, at least that test does confirm it isn’t an intermittent connection fault. You need to raise a support ticket with Kemper to find out what is going on in your case.

I use the Boss FV-500 H (I guess the guys above mean this). There's also a Boss FV 500 L and this one is very similar to the 500 H but this is a low impedance pedal, making it ideal for instruments with active pu.

My 500H is working better than a Dunlop Cry Baby: no use of an adapter. Only a stereo cable in input exp. and in the profiler in Pedal input and off you go.... (of course after choosing wah in fx section..)

I think mine is actually the FV500 L but it doesn’t make any difference when using it as an expression pedal. The impedance only matters if using it as a traditional volume pedal. I image the L would be a good choice for using as a volume pedal in the FX Loop of a traditional amp too.

In short, no the KPA will not perform the way you described. Personally I think that is a good thing but not everyone agrees.

The KPA captures a snapshot of the amp (usually including a speaker and microphone and sometimes with pedals though much less frequently) at a specific set of settings. You can tweak this snapshot but it is more like editing in photoshop than actually changing the physical object photographed.

On the other hand, modellers like AxeFX and Helix (plus plugins) aim to recreate the actual signal path of the base amp. In this instance you can control all of the individual parameters of the base amp and they should respond exactly like the real amp would. However, the reality is only as good as the programmer’s ability/technology/ear/etc. I previously used GR5 and have tried the Neural Plugins and don’t feel any of them get nearly as close to the real amp sound and feel as the KPA does.

The Kemper method of taking a snapshot tends to provide the most natural sound and feel to my ears. As most amps tend to have a very limited sweetspot of useable settings I prefer the Kemper approach and don’t miss the ability to pretend I actually have the real amp in front of me when tweaking virtual knobs.

Something else to consider:

While the Mission Engineering EP-1 is very nice for wah effects as is mechanically mimics a Cry Baby, I prefer a Dunlop DVP3 for volume control as it offers a wider mechanical range. So, it's not necessarily a "one model fits all" situation.

That is exactly my findings too. i use the EP-1 for wah and an FV500 for everything else.

2. The monitor output shouldn't be affected though. That doesn't sound right.

while that is true in theory I think I remember Burkhard saying that the way cab driver works it is impossible to fully disable it so there is always an effect on the monitor output. I think it is because cab driver only estimates what portion of the sound is amp and what portion is speaker but I could be wrong.

that doesn’t work for the Stage as the space constraints of the pedal board size meant they replaced the XLR with a TRS socket.

I personally do use it for intonation and I think it works just fine, but the common feeling by our fellow netizens is that it is best to use a good strobe tuner for that application....I don't get it, nor am I an expert, but I do know enough about human nature to appreciate that it's difficult to change folks minds on certain things, tuners for intonation being one ;)

i use the Kemper tuner in Strobe mode all the time and can’t imagine going back to a bubble style.

something i found too- as a guitarist, you don’t need the ultra highs and lows if the primary sound in your iem mix is your guitar. If anything, it’s nice having less bottom end “polluting” your iem when there can often be enough ambient LF on stage.

That’s what I found too. I like the Shure SE425 for that reason. They are really clear and detailed in the mids where the guitar sits which makes it easy to hear myself in the mix

I have used these several times at a gig where they are provided by the venue. They sound almost good if you get memory foam cushions for them. With the stock rubber ones, I could not get enough lows and mids for the guitar to sound right.

Has anyone directly compared the 215s to the KZ? I only play a few IEM gigs per year, but, I am interested in the KZ if they sound remarkably better.

I haven’t tried the KZ but have SE215 and SE425. I struggled with the bottom end on both with regular generic inserts. However, I had a pair of Snugs custom molded covers made and it totally transformed them in mich the same way as I am sure Bryan experienced when switching to the 64 Audios.

for preamp saturation style effects, eithre try the 'Grit' parameter in the delays, or put the delay before the STACK (Eddie did it) :)

I know both of those options but I’m thinking more of a simple pre amp type control within the effect rather than tie up an extra effect where people want to use the saturation effect but with delays/flanging after the stack. As you know some people used to use the Echoplex turned off just for the pre amp. I’m only thinking aloud on this one as it’s not something I really need but I think I can see where the OP is coming from.

I don’t use Bandhelper pr anything like that but I will say that SetList modes was ne pf the things I really liked about the RJM Mastermind series midi controllers and their editor software. In general the simplicity of the Remote means that I very rarely plug in RJM any more but I do miss SetLists.

I must confess I haven’t tried a Deco or even listened to many demos but have just looked at the Strymon website for some info.

It looks to me as if the KPA delays can already do most of that. However, I presume that the Deco’s secret sauce lies in the “always on” tape delay pre amp saturation effect. Maybe just adding an extra pre amp saturation control to the existing delays would be enough. Or, maybe ckemper could tell us how he would go about achieving those effects with the existing delay engines. I am always amazed at how he manages to create/replicate sounds in ingenious ways - presumably comes from his synth background.