Posts by Wheresthedug

Commercial sellers are a nice by-product that never was planned or totally needed for the success of the Profiler. Today every u-tube comedian owning a Kemper Profiler for days (!) wants to sell profiles and make money :D

amen ?

And I think CK never had the goal to rule the world with the Profiler or make the company bigger, just for the sake of growth. He knows for sure what can happen in the market. I am pretty sure Kemper will have an answer. But maybe not, what some expect.

agreed, I am sure it will be very interesting to see what his next revolutionary idea will be ?

the main difference is likely to be that the Kemper headphone out has the Space feature enabled but when you send a signal to your interface and listen through its headphone out you are hearing the signal without Space added. Try going into the output menu of the KPA and enabling the space feature on the main output then compare the two signals again.

Start by assessing whether the volume differences apply to all types of profiles or only between clean and overdriven rigs. If you need to balance the level between different clean rigs or different dirty rigs then use the rig volume or amp volume and resave. However, is all clean rigs are too loud or too quiet relative to all dirty rigs then don’t touch the volumes. Instead, raise or lower clean sense in the input menu. This will act as a global balance. Raising clean sense will make all clean rigs louder relative to dirty rigs. Lowering clean sense will have the opposite effect.

I still totally fail to see how partnering with amp makers is a benefit to anyone except the amp makers.

I have now doubt that a new kick will eventually come to town and will be a big step forward in tech terms. And you are probably also correct that it won’t be too far down the line either. However, I totally fail to see why being a DRM limited closed ecosystem will be perceived as a benefit. As far as I can see it is just a limitation and an inconvenient annoyance.

the genius of the Kemper is its simplicity, ability to perform amazing sound production with minimal processing power all in an amp like box and user interface.

Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if Kemper already know that a new kid in town will eventually take their market and, rather than trying to evolve the profiler CK just decides to make a totally different product to solve a totally different problem as evolving a Profiler MKii is just too boring for him. He already has form in that respect given the Access Virus synth.

Short answer; you could be right, you could be wrong I really don’t know enough about what goes on under the hood to know if it is technically possible but it seems unlike.

long answer: as ckemper and Burkhard are fond of saying “what problem would it solve?” The difficulty I would foresee is how to morph between two amp blocks that need to occupy the same slot simultaneously in order to morph smoothly between them. I don’t believe this is currently possible with the hardware (but who knows except the developers). Therefore, if you can’t morph the amp blocks all that would be possible would be to morph between the FX in each rig. However, in the vast majority of cases I would think that could be achieved with the current morph features within the same rig slot.

Am I missing something? Or is that bear going to be heading my way ?

Wonder what is so "special design" about a tube screamer that Kempers don't like? I know Klons and Timmys get profiled.

i believe its the amount of clean signal that remains below the distortion portion. However, that should also be the case with other TS style clipping circuits.

i have always wondered about the KPA can’t profile multiple gain stages thing. It has often been assumed that it referred to amps which distort both the preamp AND power amp. However, i suspect it might be another “lost n the translation” copywriting issue which actually refers to simultaneous signal paths where clean and distorted run in parallel (like a TS). I wonder if ckemper or Burkhard could throw some light on this for us?

No one seems to be arguing for upgrades to stop, though. You're more than willing to accept the inconvenience because of everything amazing that you get out of the product. So it's not a reason it's an excuse.

i don’t see that as a valid comparison

it is possible to opt out of upgrades by simply not installing them however DRM would be embedded in the system and the rigs and therefore affect everyone using the KPA.

sambrox as Robert Cray said - “give me an hour alone in a bank, tell me a boat full of lawyers just sank......” or the old joke “what do you call a ship full of lawyers at the bottom of the sea? A good start!” Jokes are funny because there is always some truth in them. Litigation typically benefits lawyers more than anyone else.

I predict that morphing between rigs will come.

i predict it won’t ?

seriously though, it don’t think it is possible with the current hardware as it would presumably need the ability to have both slots (therefore two rigs) loaded simultaneously. If the hardware was capable of that there would be nothing to stop dual amp rigs either.

I think the rig X fade only goes up to something like 10ms though. I can't remember the exact number but I seem to recall trying it a long while back a d it wasn't long enough to achieve a noticeable morph.

and all of us who have used free profiles are complicit in this. Even me. and even more so if we don't stand up for what is right.

Once again we need to be specific here. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using free profiles if the creator of the profiles allows this. When uploading a rig to Rig Exchange you specifically grant the ability for others to use it. However, sharing commercial profiles is on breach of EULA and is clearly immoral and illegal.

I haven’t used commercial profiles that I haven’t paid for and won’t do so. In fact another forum member sent me a rig once with effects loaded to help me achieve a specific song tone. When I opened it I noticed that it wasn't a free profile. As the profile now resided on my KPA and I had used it I didn’t feel it was right to continue using it in the knowledge that I hadn’t paid for it. i could have deleted it butI still felt bad having used it. So, I went to the profiler’s webstie and bought the profile. I also notified the user who sent it to me about breaching the creator’s agreement. He was most apologetic as he hadn’t realised the implications of sharing his effect chain on a commercial profile. I am pretty sure that he will not have shared any commercial profiles since.

The problem with DRM is that it is a nuisance for people who wouldn’t break the rules anyway and the people who would break the rules will always manage to find a way to circumvent it. Just look at the number of cracked versions of things like Protools etc that are in circulation.

And please point me in the direction of the system that exists for those who've had their amps profiled without their permission, while you're at it.

Also, no recourse for the little guys, like Suhr, Fortin, etc. People who put years of R&D, insight, cleverness, and love into creating something special, and someone taking and distributing a copy of that thing for free. Because, it's not currently illegal. Immoral, perhaps, but.not illegal.

I think you misunderstand the concept of profiling someone’s amp without their permission. There is no need to have permission to profile an amp any more than there is to make a recording of that amp or to ask permission to use the mic in the process of making the recording. Profiling is capturing the sound not copying the IP that created that sound. Not only is not illegal but it isn’t immoral either. However, distributing profiles themselves without ownership or permission from the owner is both illegal and immoral.

I hear what you are saying but I’m not sure I agree with the request or the conclusion you reach.

The whole Kemper ethos seems to have been built on sharing. It is a very European mentality which Americans often struggle to accept. Not everyone wants to maximise profit over social benefits and community development.

Initially the product was created to profile your own tones and take them on the road or have them available for overdubs at a later date when the original rig had already been stripped down.

The concept of a user community sharing their rigs follows naturally from their.

The rise of the commercial profiler seems to have been a somewhat unexpected by product as far as I can make out.

As Paul mentioned there are literally hundreds of thousands of profiles available already without DRM. These cover almost any amp you could ever think of. Therefore, the need for amp manufacturers to make and sell their own profiles seems negligible. In fact, one of the most underwhelming profile pack I have ever bought was the official DrZ pack. The marketing says that DrZ got fed up hearing profiles of his amps that didn’t sound right and therefore he wanted to make profiles that captured the amps in the way he intended. I am sure they sound great to some people but they aren’t anywhere near my preferred choice. I’m not saying they are bad just pointing out that official profiles from makers aren’t necessarily something of benefit when there are so many great profiles of the same amp already.

On the DRM front, I have a Two Notes Torpedo Reload and Wall of Sound (I don’t use it much since I got the Kemper) and the constant requirement to revalidate licenses is a real pain in the ass. It is probably one of the factors that stops me using it much these days to be honest.

would copying and pasting the stomps block and the effects block to all of the slots in a performance do what you need?

yes. Just like you can on the Toaster and Rack (but not the Stage) but in the RM editor. It seems like a crazy backwards step to have removed the copy and paste block (or save entire blocks as presets) from the editor and Stage.