Posts by pippopluto

I don't think adding W7 compatibility to even be an option: I am certain the code would need to be different, and you have to draw a borderline somewhere in terms of back-compatibility, since supporting both Win 7 and 10 means a lot more effort for a developer.

IME, W10 is quite stable; many of its annoyances can be killed anyway through small third-part utilities (just google for them).

As a matter of fact, I've found much less tuning tricks for W10 than the ones available for W7, which tells me something in terms of how much the system needs to be optimised in comparison with the other one :)

a cheaper stomp box kemper without profiling option just sounds would be ideal

This has been debated several times. There's basically no hw part/circuit that could be omitted should they design a "player only" unit, so you would basically not save a dime :)

Early adopters got the device relatively cheap but they helped Kemper earn the funds to continue development of this platform. Later adopters had to pay slightly more because they got more features right out of the box

I like this poetic vision of yours... but reality is that the price increased because demand/offer went higher. And it has increased at least 2-3 times in the years, IIRC :)

So is the sonic quality and feel of the amp sounds so high that improvement is almost impossible ? Then I will check it out at least

Well, CK has stated that one day there will "unavoidably" be a KPA II. But is there really a need for buying the ultimate possible device? I think you should try one and just see if you like it. If you do, it will certainly be sounding as well - or better - in 10 years thanks to fw updates, so you are not really going to lose your money, are you? ;)

I would like to give this old thread a litte push cause i keep running into problems with digital clipping in fx chains. It would also be a nice addition to the editor.

For example, i have a (very) clean profile, no clipping audible at all. Input LED stays green all the time, profile output is set to 0 db, profiler output is set to -10 db. To get a little volume boost here and there i added a "Pure Booster" with boost set to +3 db to the X-slot (post stack that is). When i turn on the Pure Booster i get audible clipping. For a simple signal chain like this you get along somehow but when you use many fx its not a simple task to keep levels right.

Metering would really help to solve such problems.

I don't think there's any chance we can clip the KPA in the digital domain. There are 32bit, floating point calculations going, as far as I know we have headroom for hundreds of decibels.

If the output LED doesn't clip, you are clipping the input of the analog device after the KPA, IMO. This, or you have a hw- or fw-related issue.

Well, distortion/gain is perhaps one of the easiest things to tweak on the KPA. For those who do not like the idea, there are thousands of profiles with a different native gain... and then there are profiles with pedals embedded, and then we can add gain-related stomps into any rig.

For overly bright rigs, chances are they have been created for darkish PUs... Definition is a great parameter for fine tuning this aspect IMO, and in both directions.

you can try to lower the distortion sens setting

This equals lowering the Gain in a sort of "global" way, and if lowering the Gain knob didn't help achieving what he wanted, DS won't do either.

I really think that the clean and distortion settings cause more confusion and problems than being helpful.

Mhhh... I don't agree. Like anything on Earth it's a matter of understanding what they do before touching them.

In short: CS is both a sensitivity input setting (set it so that our guitar barely makes the Input LED orange, or lower) and a control that determines how loud cleans are Vs. distorted sounds. See above for DS.

As simple as than, nothing less or more :)

Anyway, it's all in the Reference manual!

HTH

I must have read you wrong, what I had got was that you believe CS can't be saved.
    Source can't, of course.

As for me, I may use different guitars so saving presets makes sense, except for the - for me - incredible flaw we are discussing.

:)

I think the point is that step is not necessary, why go through the extra steps if you don't need to?

Well, it's better if a new user understands well, I believe :)
    By saying what he suggests is "not completely correct" w/o specifying it's not wrong either, he may get the impression he's following some incorrect procedure.

OTOH, (re)linking the knob to Main volume might be something you may want to do at times (I use several couples of active cabs, and at times I prefer to be able to tweak the volume through the knob for progressive adjustments ).

Basically, my impression - with a newby POV in mind - was that the notion that what jarabuandi had described was not wrong might have not been stressed enough.
    Nothing wrong in being complete ad accurate :)

Im a bit confused on what the request is?

It relates to the fact that you can only (un) lock CS, DS and NG together. So if you have a preset for your guitar with optimised CS and DS, you can't set the NG per rig (when you find a profile with a very noisy (distorting) amp) unless you waste an fx slot for adding a further NG.
    so the request is to move NG outside the Input section, so that it can be set independently from the Locked Input on a rig-per-rig basis.

I cant set up a preset that includes my input routing including CS levels for reamping

You can't? Is it any different than saving any Input preset?

You did a much better job than me explaining some of the challenges some might face, but I just wanted to clarify I agree with you that it would work there on the "Amp" page too. I personally think the best place for it would be on the "Rig" page. So it would get saved to a rig, which is basically a profile.. It could be in the "amp" settings sure, in my head a noise gate is part of a rig but amps don't usually have one built into them, so that's really the only reason why I suggested/think it should be under "Rig" and not "Amp". Semantics :P

:D

Don't get me wrong Preacher, I do believe it would do for a great treat in the Rig section :)
    After all, that specific amp is not an "amp object" :) But, should we save the Amp section as a preset, since that typically is the worst source of noise in the rig, it would make sense if it carried its own NG setting with itself.

Hope this makes sense :)

Sure studio ready profiles sound great, but sometimes I need a tone but the amp is profiled with the wrong cab to that desired tone.
    So, IR are the way to go.

Are you aware you can use any cabinet from any rig with whatever other rig? This makes for millions of combinations, and those are already in native Kemper format.
    Note you can save any cabinet as a preset and load it as such. And there are packs floating around (one legendary one would be Till's Cabs, it made generations of Kemper users grow adult :p

I strongly share the OP's concerns!

The most noisy part of a rig is a distorted amp. The practical consequence of this is that, if you use several rigs with the same (quite) guitar, if you want to set NG differently per rig (because only some of them are very noisy) you have to resave each rig and unlock the Input section, which defeats the purpose of creating Input presets for different guitars (mainly in order to differentlyset CS and DS ).

IME (40 years of playing electric), a noisy amp/setting is much more frequent than a noisy guitar.
    This imply that it would make much sense to let NG be set per rig (in order to "heal" noisy profiles) and have the player add a NG stomp if they are using a noisy guitar (which BTW should be fixed by itself... as has been discussed on this board many times (both explicitly and implicitly), it doesn't make sense to add a feature on the KPA destined to fix something whose cause lies elsewhere (the same goes for "creative" requests for electronic drums, metronomes or the like).

Sure, one could add a NG stomp when using noisy amps, but it's perhaps redundant to point out that the Profiler is the device that allows to use the least number of effects in its price range, and sometimes it's just impossible to devote a slot to a NG.

Burkhard : I play in several cover bands. I own one (electric) guitar only, with which I play every kind of songs. TBH, it's hard for me to believe I am in a minority.

Anyway, in order to optimise CS and DS (regardless of how many guitars I use) I should nevertheless save 100 rigs one by one (I usually use 1 performance (1-5 rigs) per song; sometimes I can use the same rig for two songs, rarely the same whole performance).

So here follows the scenario many players find themselves in:

• you optimise your Input for a given guitar;
    • you are hence stuck with a given NG setting;
    • if you tweak NG in order to fix a noisy profile, the tweak gets locked itself;
    • if you don't lock Input, each rig will carry its own settings and mess with your CS and DS settings;
    • consequently, with the current logistics there's no way to have a locked Input and fix a very noisy rig/amp w/o having to sacrifice a slot for an additional NG (which will anyway sound differently from the one in the Input, as we know).

What I don't share with the OP is the idea that adding NG to the Amp section would not be a good idea: on the contrary, for all the above it seems to be by far the best placement for this control, because you'd be able to optimise it depending on the profile's intrinsic noise.

Hope this clarifies!

Since you think the unit was used, it might be a good idea to perform a System reset in order to even out any mess previous user(s) might have caused.

Before doing that, perform a backup and send it to Support along with the screen pic. This might help Kemper find a potential bug.

Enjoy your new unit :)

Yep, this feature is definitely missing.
    Should I have to choose, I would pretty much prefer having it in the Cabinet section.
    If there are venue-related issues let the soundguy deal with them. As for me, IME the most critical issues come from the need to tweak a rig's final tone in order to have it cut the mix... and L/H-cutting the cab equals cutting the mic'ed sound, exactly like we used to do in the old times of mic'ed cabinets on stage.
    :)