Sounds are often trebly

• Brwosing to many Profiles I realised that most of the profiles are far too trebly for me. I have this on HEadphones, on IOn Ear and out of the Box (there with Cabinet switched off).

Often it sounds harsh to my ears. Is there any powerfull vintage sound without sparkling highs for download? Like e.g. the one used on the first two ZZ Top LPs or like Walter Trout sounds.

• I have the same impression, stuehrenberg64. Turning treble and/or presence knob to the left is no good solution imho. Try a Wah Low Pass post stack (X or Mod slot) with Manual around 8.5, Peak around 1.0 and Mix at 100%. Also I found out, that it depends a lot on the pickup. I play a Music Man Luke II with an EMG 85 in the bridge position. I often dial in a Studio EQ in X or Mod slot with -18 dB at 21.000 Hz. Helps a lot and works (for me) even better than the Low Pass.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

Also I found out, that it depends a lot on the pickup

+1
    And I would say that if some rigs are too trebly, some others are too dark...But, wait : it depends on the guitar I'm using ...Too dark with my LP may be OK with my Telecaster...
    Just like in real life with real amps : there is no setting that fits every guitar in the world...
    So you have to tweak the profile according to the guitar you want to play with.

• +1
    And I would say that if some rigs are too trebly, some others are too dark...But, wait : it depends on the guitar I'm using ...Too dark with my LP may be OK with my Telecaster...
    Just like in real life with real amps : there is no setting that fits every guitar in the world...

+1

[quote]Also I found out, that it depends a lot on the pickup

+1 :thumbup: ..and it depends IMHO also on monitors you use and on which volume you play.. for instance, I have KRK VXT4 at home and EV ZXA1 in rehearsal room, at home I play on very low volume (because of neighbours :D) and in the rehearsal room I play very loud.. and the same profiles sound different :)

• The process of making a profile has a number of variables ... The pickup/guitar during fine tuning being one ... but I wonder whether you've tried any of the commercial rigs in comparison? I haven't tried a whole lot of the free ones, but in the recording process a poor mic, position, room etc can affect the profile quite a bit.

Using the Kemper on a daily basis though, the last thing I'd describe it as is trebly :/

• The process of making a profile has a number of variables ... The pickup/guitar during fine tuning being one ... but I wonder whether you've tried any of the commercial rigs in comparison? I haven't tried a whole lot of the free ones, but in the recording process a poor mic, position, room etc can affect the profile quite a bit.

Using the Kemper on a daily basis though, the last thing I'd describe it as is trebly :/

I'd have to agree. 9 out of 10 free profiles I'll need to dime the treble and presence to get rid of the blanket over cab effect, ie. those profiles get deleted immediately.

About half of the commercial ones are the same way.

• Treble knob- turn it to the left. Problem solved. That will be $49.99. LOL

Joking aside, in reality a lot of us do go spend cash on profiles in anticipation of having the intended sound right out of the box. Some profiles are really picky about what we can add or remove in the tone stack and still keep the intended amp characteristics, so it is ideal to have a starting sound that is close as possible. Sometimes it seems that even after 5-10 minutes of playing and tweaking our ears have a hard time remembering what sound we were trying to achieve, so it can take a few rounds of tweaking to get it just right.

I once had an idea to make a global numbering system you would add to the profile name that would tell the user things like which mic/mic-pos/guitar/speaker/pickup/ was used when profiling and give the user a general idea of what the profile would sound good with. I already see a lot of this with a few profiling but there are just so many variables that can change the sound, so this is not something to make things perfect, it is just to narrow down the profile hunting. Even knowing if someone dialed in their dual rec with a strat or a les paul or an extended scale 7 string with actives before profiling will get us on the right track.

I have the same impression, stuehrenberg64. Turning treble and/or presence knob to the left is no good solution imho. Try a Wah Low Pass post stack (X or Mod slot) with Manual around 8.5, Peak around 1.0 and Mix at 100%. Also I found out, that it depends a lot on the pickup. I play a Music Man Luke II with an EMG 85 in the bridge position. I often dial in a Studio EQ in X or Mod slot with -18 dB at 21.000 Hz. Helps a lot and works (for me) even better than the Low Pass.

This seems to be the go to solution using the EQ's as high and low cuts. It really helps take the harshness out of the profiles and makes mixing a bit easier as well as some of the work is already done. I think I'm going to make a conservative EQ setting like that and lock it in globally and see how that works out next time before deleting profiles to prevent getting rid of potential keepers.

• Hmm, I just don't share this experience.

Most of the time the commercial (Andy's and Pete's) and builtin profiles do not require basically any changes to sound good and/or normal. They might not always what I had in mind, but I do not see a tendency at all to sound trebly.

I am playing a Telecaster with Dimarzio True Velvet & Chopper pickups and a PRS Studio. Listening via either Beyerdynamics T90 headphones or a Yamaha DXR12 FRFR speaker - for the latter I only reduce the bass in the outlut eq section a tad.

Suggestion - why don't we all upload a sound sample of a commonly available profile that has this issue and compare ?

• I agree that I have to turn the treble and presence way way down in order to get sounds that I like. I cannot say whether it is the kemper or my monitor as I play through FRFR which was a change for me. I have a feeling that any FRFR is going to sound trebly compared to going through a guitar cab. If you can believe it, not only do I turn down the treble on my monitor but I also have to turn down treble and presence about half way on the kemper master output eq.

• I agree that I have to turn the treble and presence way way down in order to get sounds that I like. I cannot say whether it is the kemper or my monitor as I play through FRFR which was a change for me. I have a feeling that any FRFR is going to sound trebly compared to going through a guitar cab. If you can believe it, not only do I turn down the treble on my monitor but I also have to turn down treble and presence about half way on the kemper master output eq.

I often play along my favorite albums. I feed through the auxiliary input on the Kemper and the guitar sound (using a Fender profile) as well as the recording comes through the same Yamaha DXR12 FRFR speaker. To me the guitar sound is very much on par with the recording.

Furthermore my actual Fender tube amplifier / combo sounds very similar - that's comparing it with going through the Fender guitar cabinet - interestingly I had to reduced the treble knob to a 10am position on the Fender tube amp to not sound so trebly ;)

• That's a good point. When I listen to the Kemper against recorded albums or when I hear an amp on its own on YouTube, more often than not I dont think the Kemper is too trebly.

I can see where the extra treble comes from FRFR as the mic'd profile speaker would have had a more limited frequency range that would not have produced some of those highs when dialing in the intended tone. As a side project I would like to see someone dial in the profiled amp tone using their ear on a FRFR speaker instead of the mic'd cabinet and one dialed using the cabinet to see how the profiles would change. This would give a general idea of how much highs are hidden in a guitar speaker by not being completely full range. My guess is probably not much as most people compare the played back profile with the original amp and are happy with that sound before releasing the profile into the wild. The main thing to take from that is there would still be some extra high or presence somewhere present on the FRFR that could be dialed out before profiling. How much of an impact it would make on the final profile and be more precise "out of the box" is what would make this experiment interesting.

Using a guitar/speaker that is similar to what the user who downloads the profile may have an even larger effect than dialing in the amp as well. These are just random ideas of ways to find that little something that is extra or missing that could be done by the person profiling to reduce profile tweaking after.

That's a good point. When I listen to the Kemper against recorded albums or when I hear an amp on its own on YouTube, more often than not I dont think the Kemper is too trebly.

I don't think that was meant as a generalization about the Kemper as we will all have witnessed profiles that sound excellent from the get go. There are just to many variables that can make a profile work or not for any two given set ups or expectations. It just seems that the discomfort in the highs seems to be among the most complained feedbacks about profiles that seems to be present. If there is a way to track down this source instead of changing guitars or dialing in the profile, it will make things easier down the road.

Myself, I like the recorded or "CD in the room" more than amp in the room. When a profile demo on soundcloud sounds way off from what I am getting out of FRFR at home though, it makes me question if I have things set up right at home sometimes.

• I was just joking with you. I wasn't being mean. Seriously, I do agree that the guitar you are using makes all the difference in the world. Just because a profile was made to sound great with one particular guitar doesn't mean it will even be close to sounding good with a different guitar. That's not even taking account for all of the other variables such as pickup differences, string differences, and individual player touch/dynamics. You could even dial in a nice tube amp with a particular guitar and then hand it off to other players and it could sound very different! YMMV

• To the OP's original question.
    Try going into the amps adjustment and turn down the clarity. It rolls off the highs without any real adverse affect on the tone of the amp.

Worked for me on a couple profiles and it's a quick easy fix.

Good luck.

• An old topic, but with great conclusions!

Allow me disgress this topic a little and talk about the big picture.

The internet is full of threads that people do not get used to the sound of the Profiler. But this is also true for all digital guitar amps.
    Many search for the amp-in-the-room sound. But is this the true sound? Have you ever heard your guitar hero playing amp-in-the-room? I guess not, as you needed a personal invitation to his house to hear him noodling on his amp without a microphone. Everything else is mic'ed. The recordings as well as the live concerts. That is the real sound that the world and you know, and it is listened through linear speakers. If you say, those speakers are not completely linear: it is true! The whole world is listening music through approximately linear speakers such as stereos, car radios, headphones, PA's. All musicians rely on these speakers: singers, drummers, guitarists etc. By this definition, there is no dedicated linear speaker (FRFR) that is perfect for guitarists while others fit better for other instruments.

About the sound of the profiles:
    Let me speak for all factory profiles but this also true for many commercial and shared profiles.
    These profiles are made by professionals, with great experience in sound and recording in general. The profiles and rigs are made by dozens of people or teams that were not related ro each other. They reflect the whole bandwidth of taste and culture.
    The factory profiles have been judged and chosen by a team of pro guitarists. Some are bright, and some are more dull. Some work better with this guitar, some work better with others. That's the nature of guitar sounds.

Most profiles have a 'regular' bass responce and more to sound pleasant. In a recording mixdown, bass frequencies of the amp should be cut, for less musical interference with the bass and drums.

I am sure that the profiles that are available represent in whole an average frequency responce of guitar sounds created and recorded in the past decades. Your CD collection will also represent a good average frequency responce in a whole. This might be proven by the fact, that there is no recommendations for special stereos or headphone for different styles of music. If you are aware of such recommendations, they often go towards more base responce or so. But this is against the linearity rule.

The profiles work great in a context of music, as some of you state in this thread. When being played alone without a band or not embedded in music, they might appear differently, maybe unbalanced, or too dry. Many commercial rigs come with a nice reverb, by that reason.

If you feel that the profiles do not match your expectations, do not blame the makers of the profiles or the profilers technique. Every single profile has at least one user that created it, liked it and stored it. Reflect your own expectatons. Be aware, that you might playi the profiles in a different context, where they might not work as expected.

Play through different speakers, just as a try, not just your headphones, since headphones are rarely the best reference.
    Use the Space effect when you play the Profiler through your headphones. The Space effext creates some natural reflection and diffusion, that is missing in the headphone sound. It will render the pure amp signal into a stereo signal, even if stereo effects are present.

Now to the topic: if you find that the profiles need some equalization, go for it! Id you feel the profiles are too bright when you play stand-alone, feel free to cut it down by a lowpass filter. Do whatever is required to have the best listening enjoyment. However, be aware that by those tweaks you have probably moved the sound away from a state-of-the-art recording sound. This is no problem, if you are aware of that.

Edited once, last by ckemper ().

• I like a lot this CK post, very important statement and suggestions.

This is what I did for most of the profiles: if I found it too much dull or bright for any type of guitar I delete it, otherwise I tweak just a little to match my taste but without loosing the character of the profile itself. And I can say that the majority of the professional profiles made by Kemper team or commercial ones, or made from some users in the forum are very usable, it only depends on where they will be mixed in...