Techniques for getting great transients/attack?

• How are you guys getting really great transients/articulation with your patches?

A thread came up today on Gearslutz where the suggestion was made that the Kemper's transients were lacking and this was causing a particular poster to feel unhappy with their Kemper purchase suggesting that it was difficult to mix/didn't sound the same in the mix as the original amps and more importantly didn't feel that similar and they felt it was down to these transients, the upshot was they were ready to sell off for a DV Mark and 11R.

Now personally I love my Kemper, but I do sort of get where he's coming from, there is often a softness in the attack when I play back what I've recorded with the Kemper, or even just when playing the kemper as opposed to playing my real tube amps which feel just somehow a little more immediate.

To be clear here in this case we're talking about lead tones like these (his examples) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JshF46VufF8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrB2DkXnC6I

(he claims impossible to get this clear/sitting in the mix with the Kemper)

and finally because he's using a Marshall the guy thought this was closer to his tone)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGCc9KflS6c

So my thoughts are

1 ) Use an amp that's in that fusion/rock vein, so Dual or Triple rec comes immediately to mind.

2 ) Use a treble booster/green scream. Pushes the important upper frequencies that create that fluid and immediate feel as well as primarily make up the transient sound itself.

3 ) Reduce the Clean sense and/or the volume on the guitar itself, to avoid any soft clipping that might be going on and create greater dynamic range/headroom in the Kemper going in.

4 ) Pick an instrument with bright pickups or even single coils for some of these sounds.

5 ) Adjust the playing style to be more aggressive on the pick (digging in) and fretting to slightly detune the notes on initial press, giving them that trademark cat with it's bum sewn up fusion lead legato sound.

6 ) Increase the pick setting on the Amp block from 0 (which I assume is a true bypass of the algorithm, if not then maybe that's the fault) though not too much as it creates an odd overtly even and artificial sounding click at higher settings.

7 ) Make sure to play at loud volume to get natural feedback and the interplay of sound and instrument that helps it feel like the real deal as well as sound on record like something alive.

8 ) Possibly try a Radial Dragster (I experimented using the SPDIF out on my Pod HD in order to use it's input impedance adjustment settings in order to do something similar) to help with the general feel.

9 ) Up the mix parameter in the amp block to bring in a little bit of the clean strings.

Any other suggestions, or tips and tricks for getting great articulate transients both on single notes and in chords?

• Your recommendations are correct. However i would say that the most important aspect is to start with amps that have a great transient translations themselves. This is reflected by the "Definition" parameter inside the a KPA profile. You will see that a lot of boutique amps or hot rodded marshalls have a default definition value of 10 which is a good indicator how this profile will react to your playing.

And the KPA is definitely able to provide great transients and attack which will also result in better right hand dynamics. My Chimera rig pack was specially designed with that aspect in mind. There is also a video by David Chamerlin at the end...

http://www.tillschleicher.com/tills-chimera-profile-pack/

• Hey, yeah, really nice sounding pack by the way! Though on the high gain clips the attack/transient is definitely pretty soft, almost fading in on each note, but that might be due to another thing I forgot that's also kinda important for transients which is :

10 ) Use a thinner pick! (or alternatively use a metal pick can bring out the chime in strings).

• I'm also wondering with the new firmware 2.3 that's about to come out this quarter with it's parallel channel, maybe it'll be possible to accentuate the attack using a compressor and some basic distortion/EQ in the parallel slot.

Which leads to a question about it... do both channels go through the cab/tone stack, or does the second channel totally bypass the whole stack section? I'm hoping you can optionally put it through the cab, so that distortions can be used on the parallel channel without turning into fizz.

• I totally understand the 'softness' in the attack. It took me a while to get used to it.
    Some equate it to latency, but it isn't the same.

I make a High Pass Filter with a Graphic EQ in the Stomp section
    as a work around. It helps a lot.

I also stopped playing my real amps, so there's no A/B-ing going on in
    my head. I've just adapted to the KPA's signature way of feeling.

• Funny how we all have different tastes. I usually have to roll the definition and pick parameter back a bit to tame the transients. Otherwise, the pick attack noise is just too much...'just my taste I guess. :)

• Hey, I just want to say thanks to everyone for chiming in. Some great pointers here.

I am the person mentioned in the OP that was asking on Gearsultz about this. I have an 11R and the DV Mark ordered right now, but if I can get the Kemper to do this, it will be great.

I will try some of these things on Fri. when I have time for tracking in my own studio, booked... LOL

Jim

• Ok, new additions after playing around earlier on this evening.

11 ) Definition and Clarity in the amp block should be considered as tied to the Amp block Compression control (rather than stomp compression). With no compression they will have a nice effect, but it's subtle, raise that compression and you'll be cooking on gas! The difference will become drastically more apparent and you can really sculpt the transient and so called "touch sensitivity" by combining these three controls.

12 ) Adding a little bit of Direct Mix with the amp block will likewise help bring out the transient.

13 ) With the 2.3 firmware set your EQ block to be in front of the amp, in combination with the two previous suggestions (and a slight Pick setting adjustment) you should find yourself in prime Fender territory if you're after that rich plummy tone reminiscent of Hendrix, SRV etc. Having the EQ block in front allows you to sculpt the tone going into the preamp which can really help create those chiming transients that you all know and love.

14 ) When going for a Fender/Country tone don't forget the reverb! Use the Matchbox reverb and tweak it a little with enough of a pre-delay (at least 100ms), without this you will never get that trademark Fender deep bloom, no amount of sag on it's own will achieve that, The pre-delay will also help accentuate the starts of the notes over the rest of the note which becomes more diffused, again helping emphasise those transients.

15 ) Get friendly with the Graphic EQ. It's a little more complex than the one on your Mesa, but the same general rules apply. Adding this to the X slot and raising a little bit of hte treble end can really help push that transient that little bit more, lowering it will reduce in a clean way.

16 ) In conjunction with this don't forget that the Kemper has Ducking parameters in nearly all effects (sadly not sidechained though). You can use an EQ with negative ducking to bring out the treble only at the starts of notes to really exagerate transients.

• And just to demonstrate the huge difference this last lot can make, I did a very quick and messy demo. I took the Vintage pack VSP Fender Vibrochamp profile, and applied 11, 12, 13 and 14, and a little pick definition to it.

Here's the vanilla profile before any changes.

http://www.peranders.com/general/fendervibrovanilla.mp3

Here's the same one after, no additional stomps used.

http://www.peranders.com/general/fendervibroadjusted.mp3

The second one I also cycle through the pickups a little too, which really shows the importance if choosing the right pickup for the job too. Humbuckers tend to just not have the dynamics for aggressive transients (this is a Parker P38, so single coils on neck and middle, humbucker on bridge).

The sound is of course a little different and the second one is a tiny bit louder (but not as much as you might assume, on VU here they come out almost the same!). Most importantly though the feel is radically different after the changes, it's much more immediate and fluid, a springy feel that's more reactive and touchy feely.

• These are really valuable recommendations.

To avoid misunderstandings, let me add that it is always challenging to get good transients from a distorting amp, by definition. A profile is no exception. However, when you profile an amp correctly, the transients will come out in an authentic way.
    I was not able to playback his clip, due to youtube restrictions. Did he use a profile that he took by himself?

Edited once, last by ckemper ().

• my guess is that if you're missing something from the tracks when you play them back,
    you were hearing your guitar strings acoustically while recording.
    Obviously these have a lot of attack.

this can be simulated with the Direct Mix parameter, or since 2.3 even better with the parallel path feature, that lets you EQ the clean DI and mix it with the main signal.