M Britt Kemper Profiles

• I just wanted to jump in and add my two cents here. I've been using the KPA for a little over a year now,both live and to record. This is my first post on this forum. Tonight I purchased and and installed Michael's Pack 2 and I am absolutely blown away.Every profile is just amazing. So far I've just been listening through a very good set of headphones. I've been playing through a Yamaha DXR 10 for live work.but it's at our drummer's house.where we rehearse.
    Tomorrow night is practice.so I'l,get to hear these awesome profiles through the DXR then. I have way more profiles,both factory,and purchased than I really need. After just a couple hours of playing Michaels Pack 2 tonight I am seriously thinking of deleting 8o% -90% of everything else stored on my KPA. I really don't need much else and it would make the KPA a little (or a lot) more manageable for live use. The profiles in Pack 2 sound so damn good that I'll probably end up getting the others too. My band plays a lot of original music and covers as well. I've played an Eric Johnson Strat,a strat I put together with Warmoth body and neck and Seymour Duncan lipstick tube pickups and a
    Gibson Les Paul with Sheptone pickups so far tonight and every one of them sounded fantastic with these profiles. If you're trying to decide whether to purchase these profiles,stop thinking about and just do it. I promise you that you won't regret it.

Nice first post Jboogie! Welcome to the forum! You're experience is almost exactly as mine was with these rigs :thumbup:

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• hey !
    Just bought the Duble pack and I think is absolutely brilliant... I just love it ! thank you Michael for your great work.
    Just a quick question: I was trying out the profile Dumble ODS F7 -the first in the demos section on your web - and I see that you use the volume in your guitar to make it break ...
    How do you have the clean sense and distort sense in your Kemper?
    because when I roll the volume down in my guitar I get a different effect ... maybe is that?

Also in your demos they have more "personality" than when I play the. - I do have great guitars, cables, pedals, etc- on top of amazing playing, any other tricks?
    Thanks indeed.
    Ale

• jboogie13 - Thanks so much for the positive feedback! Let me know how it works out in rehearsal as well.

sonopibe - Thank you as well. I'm glad you're liking the Dumble pack. Regarding the Dumble ODS F7, I have my clean sense and distortion sense set at 0.0 dB. The Anderson guitar I use for the recordings is a Cobra (les paul scale) with 3 Duncan Antiquity P90's. Anderson does put a resistor/capacitor on the volume pot so it doesn't lose high end when you turn the volume down. I don't know if that would cause the different sound when turning the volume knob down, but it's definitely possible. When I record the clips for the site, I don't do any eq-ing or dynamics in ProTools, just straight into the interface (Propellerhead Balance) and all I do is set the record level. I re-store the rig after recording clip and that is what I put in the package. I can't think of any other tricks other than just different players. Other guitarists may not sound the same as me and it may have to do with how hard/soft I pick? I'm not sure. I use a heavy pick but I don't pluck that hard most of the time. I feel it yields more dynamics and I can pick harder for effect. I do know that Anderson is a pretty special guitar. I've been trying to get a backup for it and it's hard to find one that sounds as good, even with similar pickups.

And on a different note, I was in the studio with Lonestar yesterday recording some new tracks. I've done spec and demo project recording at home since I've had the KPA but I haven't done a full-on session using it at a big studio until yesterday. We tracked at the historic Oceanway Studio in Nashville and I brought in both the Kemper and a few heads and cabs so I could have options in case the KPA wasn't knocking the socks off of the engineer. I got there a little early and checked levels and sounds a bit and the engineer thought they were comparable enough to try the Kemper so when we cut the first song, I used my Vox AC30 B3 profile and I thought it sounded great. When we listened back in the control on the best take, it sounded awesome. I ended up using the KPA on all four songs, 2 with the Vox rig, 1 with the Dumble Cln and 1 with my 72 Marshall Tim profile. We track with a second guitar player (big league studio player) and he was extremely impressed by the tones I was getting and saying he needs to get a Kemper. I was a little nervous going in because the KPA is still kinda new to Nashville and wasn't sure how readily accepted it was going to be, but I think it turned out great and I'm glad that the tones stood up in that environment. I'm going to be doing the guitar overdubs and solos with it at home as well. It sure simplified things and I moved all that other heavy gear for nothing. Ha.

• I was a little nervous going in because the KPA is still kinda new to Nashville and wasn't sure how readily accepted it was going to be, but I think it turned out great and I'm glad that the tones stood up in that environment.

Hey, who's surprised? If it sounds great, it sounds great! :thumbup:

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Hi Michael,

I just have to say thank you for profiles. I bought pack 1&2 and used them in the studio and on many different PA-Systems live. At first I found them to a little to dull (I´m useing med output humbuckers) judgeing through my Yamaha Studio Monitors. But the louder I turn them, especially on a PA, the more I understood Fletcher. And Munson. :D

Sounds weired, but your profiles taught me, how much treble and presence I can dial out and still have a cuting sound when getting loud!!!

• You gotta totally respect that. Using your own profiles. Awesome!

The thing is, the Kemper should save studio time, and hence money. And since when won't a recording engineer NOT like trying something different, right? It doesn't surprise me that a professional session player knows tone wherever it comes from. Its his JOB to know the tools of the trade. He's got the ears.

It should be Kemper's new motto "Hearing is Believing!" haha

• Michael, many thanks for your replay ...
    I guess it has to do with the guitar and the guitar player then ... :)
    I also play with a guitar with a capacitor to not loose high freq. content when the volume is down but I guess you just play better than me :)
    I'm gonna be checking out the anderson guitars as well... I also have to roll off the bass in every profile ...
    Anyways, thanks for the answer and the great work.
    Cheers

Ale

jboogie13 - Thanks so much for the positive feedback! Let me know how it works out in rehearsal as well.

sonopibe - Thank you as well. I'm glad you're liking the Dumble pack. Regarding the Dumble ODS F7, I have my clean sense and distortion sense set at 0.0 dB. The Anderson guitar I use for the recordings is a Cobra (les paul scale) with 3 Duncan Antiquity P90's. Anderson does put a resistor/capacitor on the volume pot so it doesn't lose high end when you turn the volume down. I don't know if that would cause the different sound when turning the volume knob down, but it's definitely possible. When I record the clips for the site, I don't do any eq-ing or dynamics in ProTools, just straight into the interface (Propellerhead Balance) and all I do is set the record level. I re-store the rig after recording clip and that is what I put in the package. I can't think of any other tricks other than just different players. Other guitarists may not sound the same as me and it may have to do with how hard/soft I pick? I'm not sure. I use a heavy pick but I don't pluck that hard most of the time. I feel it yields more dynamics and I can pick harder for effect. I do know that Anderson is a pretty special guitar. I've been trying to get a backup for it and it's hard to find one that sounds as good, even with similar pickups.

And on a different note, I was in the studio with Lonestar yesterday recording some new tracks. I've done spec and demo project recording at home since I've had the KPA but I haven't done a full-on session using it at a big studio until yesterday. We tracked at the historic Oceanway Studio in Nashville and I brought in both the Kemper and a few heads and cabs so I could have options in case the KPA wasn't knocking the socks off of the engineer. I got there a little early and checked levels and sounds a bit and the engineer thought they were comparable enough to try the Kemper so when we cut the first song, I used my Vox AC30 B3 profile and I thought it sounded great. When we listened back in the control on the best take, it sounded awesome. I ended up using the KPA on all four songs, 2 with the Vox rig, 1 with the Dumble Cln and 1 with my 72 Marshall Tim profile. We track with a second guitar player (big league studio player) and he was extremely impressed by the tones I was getting and saying he needs to get a Kemper. I was a little nervous going in because the KPA is still kinda new to Nashville and wasn't sure how readily accepted it was going to be, but I think it turned out great and I'm glad that the tones stood up in that environment. I'm going to be doing the guitar overdubs and solos with it at home as well. It sure simplified things and I moved all that other heavy gear for nothing. Ha.

• awesome profiles! the first ones that translate well to my guitar cab (powered toaster) - the first ones that don't sound like there is an curtain before the cab. - why are these profiles so damn good?

could you please give an profiling tutorial? (or at least an video how you set up your profiling sessions?)

love them! thank you mr. britt.

• Today I played some of Michael's Profiles through the Ambrosi poweramp into a 4X12.

We were in a big music store, so I would look around to make sure we weren't interrupting a conversation or a salesman speaking to customer, etc, then I would turn the poweramp up to 10 for a few seconds and let the guitarist play a few riffs. :)
    I'll tell you what, when you hear the M.Britt Profiles at that volume they are as sweet as honey, high notes on your E and B strings are thick and fat, no icepicky treble nastiness.

Best way to play the M.Britt Profiles is loud and then even louder...you won't adjust one EQ knob.

• flitzefinger, controll, and guitartone - Thanks and I'm glad your liking the tones. I have to look into the Ambrosi power amp since my Kemper is unpowered. It's always tough to fine tune profiles before I put them out because they do sound different depending on the volume and what I'm monitoring on. That's what takes the most time. I try to get them sounding good on every platform but I do find that my "on the job" testing during sound checks (when we're working) is most valuable. On our in-ear monitors, if something is too bright it's pretty painful, which is probably a similar experience to hearing electric guitar out of p.a. cabinets with 2" horns blaring. Years ago, I listened back to a live mix and my guitar sounded thin and not so good, so I've made it a point since then to make my guitar sound nice and clear but never bright or harsh. If I err, it's usually on the warm side and that just sounds more even to me as the volume gets louder. I hear the lows, the mids, and the highs are still present without tearing heads off. It's always a matter of personal taste and some people really like more high end, but that's why the treble and presence knobs are there. ;)

Thanks again for the continued support!! As always, let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Mike

• And on to far more important matters ... When will we see your next pack?!?

Working on it and have a couple more amps to profile next week. It should be out in 2-4 weeks I'm guessing, barring unforeseen problems, etc. I'm planning on just the usual studio type profiles at this point. Most of these were done before the newest firmware. The new firmware release will have some of my merged profiles, but I'm focusing on the studio types right now as that is what I'm still bonding with and what I had begun profiling. Perhaps I'll do some merged ones at a later date for the d.i. aficionados.

• Hey Michael, I've jammed the heck out your Dumble and of course my favs from 1&2 (which are hard to pick but they are the only ones on my machine) I can't tell you how much happiness you've brought to my ear holes as well as band mates and sound techs here in sunny SWFL...thanks for another thick sweet warm pack of joy!! We credit you every time someone comments about killer tones in the mix...Funny though one person somewhat dismayed...Heard the Wife mutter when passing my studio door.... "more Michael Britt profiles??? Let him know he owes me a beer or 12 by now for losing my Husband" LMAO I told her, yeah... I'll tell him ha!! Thanks man!!

• Hey Michael, I've jammed the heck out your Dumble and of course my favs from 1&2 (which are hard to pick but they are the only ones on my machine) I can't tell you how much happiness you've brought to my ear holes as well as band mates and sound techs here in sunny SWFL...thanks for another thick sweet warm pack of joy!! We credit you every time someone comments about killer tones in the mix...Funny though one person somewhat dismayed...Heard the Wife mutter when passing my studio door.... "more Michael Britt profiles??? Let him know he owes me a beer or 12 by now for losing my Husband" LMAO I told her, yeah... I'll tell him ha!! Thanks man!!

Please tell the wife I'm sorry and I'll pony up the beer when we get down to FL! Ha.

And the JED amp is a cool amp that a friend of mine has that is similar to an 18w Marshall (2061 type) but it has a crisper, spankier feel. Really sounds good with a Tele.