Any plans for a Kemper 2 amp?

• "Also I'd like a redesign of the case/buttons, because I don't really care for the look of the product. That's one of the reasons why I decided to try out an Axe-FX, because I think that is a well designed looking product. The Kemper looks more toyish and lesser quality in terms of looks compared to the Axe-FX. Kemper should get outside help in designing their 2nd version whenever that gets released."

You don't seem like a potential customer, you seem more like a person that came here to ask Kemper to completely change everything about their product to suite your specific needs. That's impossible.

No, I asked if there was a redesign coming out or coming out in the near future i.e. Mark II. The answer was "no". So I made a suggestion for in case at some point in the future they decide to do a redesign.

Years ago I was deciding between Kemper and Axe-FX. Went with Axe-FX at the time. Years later I was looking around again and went to check out the Kemper and noticed they still had the same model as before. So thought I'd see when a revision would be coming out that I could check out. But looks like that isn't happening.

• We users need to know that no gear can please everyone, it's all a compromise.
    By the looks of it, it looks like Kemper gains in popularity all the time. (pun intended)
    Here is a link with hundreds of bands and studios using the kemper on albums and live.
    Lots of videos and songs to listen to and practical user advice worth reading.
    http://www.wikpa.org/Various_stuff

Also don't forget about confirmation bias, "we only see what we want to see".
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
    I think you have missed that a lot of users over the years on forums comment how cool the kemper sci-fi retro look is, and it's a practical design. Some don't like it but plenty do. I like it much more than most gear that is just generic looking.

• Years ago I was deciding between Kemper and Axe-FX. Went with Axe-FX at the time. Years later I was looking around again and went to check out the Kemper and noticed they still had the same model as before.

you make it sound like this happened a long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away...)
    the Profiler hasn't been around for that long, really.

In this time an additional, darker color scheme was made available, as well as a rack unit and units with poweramps - that's a pretty good track record for a product that hasn't been around for that long.

regardsless of your concerns, you might want to demo one at one point - especially if you have tube amps you like :)

• I think it might be time to put this thread to bed. There's no point trying to convince someone of the merits of an audio product, if they're more concerned with how it looks than sounds. Crazy! Goodnight and good luck!

Would you like Kemper to sell more amps? If you do, then you should listen to what I'm saying.

Why? Because you know better than the people who researched, developed, marketed, and currently support this product? Wow, you must be so much smarter than they are!

...' The reality is there are a lot of people out there deciding between the Kemper and Axe-FX for example. Some go with Axe-FX just for looks alone as you can't really play these in the store to try out. So that's a lost sale for Kemper.

Teenagers think like this. Not serious musicians. The latter is the KPA target audience.

... Of all the amps and gear out there. Kemper seems to be the most polarizing with regards to it's design. There's a lot of people out there who don't even take the Kemper seriously because it looks more like a toy. Fact is you'll buy it no matter I presume. But if Kemper redesigned it and made it a bad ass looking amp, they'll get more sales.

Professionals, or those looking for professional sounding gear don't care about such superficial things. You might be the exception, but I've never met anyone serious about tone who made their choice based on such childish criteria.

... And the USB flash thing would be pretty annoying. Lot of complaints on this.

Source? Is the occasional use of a USB stick so overwhelming for you?

I remember the first Axe-FX with it's constant FW upgrades. That device needed upgrades because it definitely shipped too early. And you had to use some MIDI device between the Axe and your computer for the upgrade. Took hours sometimes to accomplish this feat. THAT was a product that needed redesign, which it got in the AXE II.

... I'd have to go grab the USB flash out of the drawer and connect it to the computer. Drag and drop the files. Pull out the Kemper and flip it around. Connect the USB flash. Then flip the Kemper back around to do the update or whatever buttons you push to do that. Then pull the USB flash out and put it back in the drawer. Then push the Kemper back into it's place.

Wow, that sounds so tiring! Do you need to take a nap?

...Why bother with all of that if I could just leave a USB cable connected to it, and just connect it up to the computer and not mess with all that USB flash nonsense? That should have been fixed in an update or something, but I'm guessing it's a hardware limitation.

You're making a huge (and incorrect, imo) assumption here. I like that you aren't tied to a computer, as you would be in your scenario. What's easier to take to rehearsal - a computer or a flash drive? I'd much rather carry a flash drive to the Kemper to make updates instead of a computer.

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy

When you turn the knob on KPA, you wake up the captured souls of tube amps living inside.

• I think it might be time to put this thread to bed. There's no point trying to convince someone of the merits of an audio product, if they're more concerned with how it looks than sounds. Crazy! Goodnight and good luck!

Exactly! OP is missing the point of the KPA, Hello.......THE TONE, who really cares if it's bada** looking it's all about what it sounds like (period) and end of story. IMHO of course :thumbup:

• Update FW from pc? - I believe in the future this may happen with next FW(my guess only). I don't think there is hardware limit for such feature.
    Even better - there is a hidden function to update FW via Internet (WITHOUT PC!!) - via Ethernet port - but it is no working now(maybe in the future). So there are plenty of possibilities in the future.
    For rigs you have Rig Manager.

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. When Jony Ive, who is a highly respected designer, came out with the flat iOS icons, people who could hardly write their name had all kinds of opinions. As the owner of both, on the rare occasion that anybody cares enough to even ask about my gear it is probably split evenly between both units. I'd be curious to see something you've designed and would be happy to provide critical feedback here for you! JK. Speaking personally I do think the criticism about the USB for updates, a software editor and to a lesser degree the audio interface are valid. The only real design issue I ever had was covering the screen with the rating system (again just my opinion) and took a long my time to get it changed but was gratifying that they did listen and made the necessary changes. And the poor iOS support of this forum! What a pain to type!

• In my book a "critique" generally involves some kind of experience of the subject.

Anyone who would suggest that an update is necessary has clearly (and in this instance admitted to) never tried one out.

Do it right, do it once!

• I also imagine this scenario - you go to the studio which is own KPA - you profile your own AMP - - and get your tone onto the USB .
    Then you go to home - put the pen an you can play your new profiled amp - without PC.

The main problem which OP don't understand - KPA is like PC running KA OS. (and you can save on electricity :D)

• a USB audio interface wouldn't make much sense in a professional product. people already have their audio
    interfaces (that they chose for a reason) and it's pretty much impossible to reliably run more than audio interface at the same time

I don't understand this point of view at all. In my ears this sounds like "The present Hardware cannot do this" or "We just don't want to step this field".

Yes, Studio-Owners and the ones who often record other signals than Guitar and Bass would likely not use this feature. They would not use it but they would not have any disadvantage if it exists.
    And what about all the other Kemper-users?
    Look at all the Threads discussing which interface to use or whether xlr, tra or spdif is the way to go.
    Many users buy an interface only cause Kemper has none. Many are just guitarists/bassists and don't need to record signals that shouldn't be processed with the KPA.

Recording with multiple Interfaces at the SAME time is a problem. But if you only use one interface at a time this is also possible. I'm sure this is ok for many out there.

You developed a digital product that should convince the (often very konservative and critical to digital Peamps) Studio Owners and Guitarists to leave their loved Tube-Amps behind. Amps the already got. And it works. 'Cause it is an incredible product.
    U also put in FX. Why? The Profiler cannot reproduce their sound 1:1 cause they cannot be profiled. many Users already got their FX before. And they chose them for a reason too. But it is great u did, cause this makes the KPS so versatile.
    U put in Ground-Lift buttons. Why? Each Studio should own good DI-Boxes. But it makes this thing Versatile.

As far as I can see:
    Reasons to implement an Audio Interface:

-no one needs to buy interface only for Kemper.
    -makes setup small and easy, u don't need a place for interface and cabels conntected to Kemper.
    -no signal losses.
    -latop and kpa. all u need to record-, even on vacation

Reasons to NOT implement an Audio Interface:

Some users would not use it.

• Hi to all.
    I'd had a question: really someone think that the AXE is better looking than the KPA? 8|

i've never tryed the AXE, so I don't know how it sounds.
    however i'm in love with the sound of my KPA, i like its look too.
    i think is a mix of vintage and modern and overall, i like the practicality of the knobs.
    All my needed controls in fews centimeters. <3
    I've never used a better tool in 25 years of music.

When i saw the AXE I thought it looks like a big gameboy and when i saw all that little buttons I thought 'how much time does it takes to set this? :/

'furthermore: i guess that buying a KPA or an AXE for the look is like to
    buy a pair of shoes for their smell... ;)

Edited once, last by Allex ().

• Also I'd like a redesign of the case/buttons, because I don't really care for the look of the product. That's one of the reasons why I decided to try out an Axe-FX, because I think that is a well designed looking product. The Kemper looks more toyish and lesser quality in terms of looks compared to the Axe-FX. Kemper should get outside help in designing their 2nd version whenever that gets released.

I may later on get the Kemper to check it out. Even if it sounds amazing, I'd still think it looks all goofy and should be redesigned when they release Mark II. I think it would help sales if the Kemper not only sounds good, but also looks good as well. There are lots of comments of people not even willing to try the Kemper out just because of how it looks. That's just the reality of it. If redesigning it to look way better increases sales, then it would be a good thing regardless if someone thinks others should buy it without regard to how it looks.

I think if people don`t want to try the Kemper because of its look, they should get what they deserve and stick with the Axe... Sooner or later they`ll get their hands on a Kemper and then they will revise their oppinion!
    For myself, I loved the look at first glance, but was much more interessted in its features.
    And for all who can`t come to terms with the Toasters look, there is a rack version out there!

• Even if they change the KPA design and the way it's updated, you'll still have to take your guitar out of the rack, strap it on, find a pick, plug your guitar into your amp, turn on the amp, select a profile... sigh. What a burden.

Seriously, for someone who never tried one, you are definitely blocked by how it looks rather than how it sounds. As for what it does (profiling tube amps), the KPA delivers and there's no competition out there.

And never compare modelers with the profiler, they're not the same.

• Another thought:
    Since I sold my (then nearly brand new) AxeFx II after hearing the profiler in a side-by-side situation beginning 2012 there have been THREE new incarnations of the Axe II, the Axe II mark II, the XL and the XL+.
    This is insane because this kind of upgrade policy that Cliff Chase has established constantly devaluates existing units.
    Or to put it differently: If I buy an AxeFx II XL+ today, FAS's existing premium flagship, I can be 100% sure that there will be another flagship established in short time, with more or a different kind of RAM or whatever to make it sell.
    And there are Axe owners that are constantly upgrading their units because the FAS's string of arguments has always been the same: the newer or bigger unit sounds better.

Kemper OTOH has established a totally different concept of value and longevity which also shows in their
    Virus synth line where to this day even the first incarnations of the Virus are not considered outdated.

• And no matter how many reincarnations the axe will have, owners will always dispute which one sounds better... But Kemper will stay the same. Don`t that makes you musing???

• Another thought:
    Since I sold my (then nearly brand new) AxeFx II after hearing the profiler in a side-by-side situation beginning 2012 there have been THREE new incarnations of the Axe II, the Axe II mark II, the XL and the XL+.
    This is insane because this kind of upgrade policy that Cliff Chase has established constantly devaluates existing units.
    Or to put it differently: If I buy an AxeFx II XL+ today, FAS's existing premium flagship, I can be 100% sure that there will be another flagship established in short time, with more or a different kind of RAM or whatever to make it sell.
    And there are Axe owners that are constantly upgrading their units because the FAS's string of arguments has always been the same: the newer or bigger unit sounds better.

While there have been three Axe Fx II units the XL+ is a slightly modified unit as some of the parts that were used on the XL were no longer available. There is no change in sound. The XL has additional storage over the II but again, as I understand it, there is no change in the sound. All three are still fully supported. Your argument makes about as much sense as saying that because Kemper released a rack version they have abandoned those who purchased the toaster and that we can expect them to soon release a Kemepr 2. And while you might find an Axe user who has updated to get more space I don't think that any would say that the newer ones sound better because they are bigger. New firmwares now are a different story and a weakness but to their credit they are working on making it sound better and the effects to me are superior in terms of usability and versatility. Love both units though.
    Sorry for the number of edits but I have to keep saving and editing to get this to work with my phone.

Edited 2 times, last by SwAn1 ().

• I will catch this great opportunity to congrat Christoph Kemper who is not falling in this vicious cercle of constantly offering a new, better and (suppose to be) more performant hardware!

I AM SO GLAD FOR THIS! THANKS!!! :thumbup:

In the place of this stupid kind of marketing (which is use by every other consumer products manufacturers these days) you get regular free updates and the very best support of the industry for your hardware that you know you will not have to replace anytime soon! :D

BTW, the Kemper is a lot cooler looking device than the direct competitor which offer hardwares that look exactly the same as the most ordinary rack devices since eigthies... :P

Second BTW, why in the hell do I bother to answer in a thread like this???... :huh: :)