Ability to read more than 1 folder level deep for Rig Manager

• Seems like a small thing but this would allow much better organization methods of collections on the pc and thus allow keeping the profiler a bit lighter. For the local folder on rig exchange it could have the little + or _ expanders.. Something like this then would be possible in the folder rigs/ taf/pack10/MatclessMatcless

• I think he means importing rigs. For instance, if I have my profiles stored like this:

Profiles
    ---AmpFactory
    ---Sinmix
    ---Bass
    etc

I can't just import the Profiles folder - I have to import each folder individually, and then I have to manually create folders in Rig Manager. What the OP wants (I think) would be to import one folder and:

a) Have the profiles in all the subfolders imported as well
    and/or
    b) Have the folder structure imported.

• please elaborate. you can nest folders _and_ those expand using the triangle you're suggesting.

Especially folders left on the local computer. For example, the rigs stored on my computer are in a folder on my desktop as follows. kemper/rigs/taf/kipr files... I drag the rigs folder to rig manager to show them. any kipr files more than one sub folder deep wont be seen so you are not able to use folders to make more subgroups of rigs.

• I can't just import the Profiles folder - I have to import each folder individually,

Well, not exactly. It's just that they end up in the same folder in RM and you lose the structure. But you can definitely import the whole set by dragging just the root folder. See here below...

the rigs stored on my computer are in a folder on my desktop as follows. kemper/rigs/taf/kipr files... I drag the rigs folder to rig manager to show them. any kipr files more than one sub folder deep wont be seen

This is not generally true. I've already reported this, but had no feedback...
    The point is that RM seems unable to import files in batch when their absolute filename is longer than a certain amount. This happens for example when you nest them a lot within a series of folders, which makes the filename longer.

As I wrote elsewhere, I solved this for the current time by moving the root of my rigs structure in the root of the HD where I store them. Also, I named the root just "K", and simplified the folder structure. Then I was able to import the K folder and all its content with just one gesture.
    Win7 64bit here.

HTH

• This is good to know,yet, the initial requests remains valid. Ultimately if we could drag our rigs folder and retain the tree structure of our hard drive this would be an immensely helpful organization tool

• please elaborate. you can nest folders _and_ those expand using the triangle you're suggesting.

In an attempt to fully elaborate, let me give an example. I drag my rigs folder from my pc to rig manager like always. In rig manager under local folder it looks like this.... Rigs is expanded and I see the following folders, the amp factory, Michael Britt, rig busters, my rigs for example. Let's say I expand the amp factory folder, I now see the names of all the amp factory rigs,for example, Jcm 800, evil robot, Matcless 30 and so on. Now if I click or expand evil robot I am able audition all those rigs with that amp. This would make finding rigs easy and auditioning and playing easy when not kept loaded on the kemper

• I am still against RM taking this direction. Recursive Folder searches will slow RM down significantly when you search. You will waste space for empty structures. The perfect example of how it should not be done - imo - is the windows registry.
    Please give the idea of a database a longer thought and try using RM in the way the Kemper team has designed it. It has many advantages if you can let go of treating RM like explorer/finder.

90% of the game is half-mental.

• I am still against RM taking this direction. Recursive Folder searches will slow RM down significantly when you search. You will waste space for empty structures. The perfect example of how it should not be done - imo - is the windows registry.
    Please give the idea of a database a longer thought and try using RM in the way the Kemper team has designed it. It has many advantages if you can let go of treating RM like explorer/finder.

I hear what you are saying, but scrolling down with 30+ folders at almost root level is a pain to navigate just the same. If we could just add one more sublevel that would help a ton.

• Yep, one is supposed to use folders to simplify their searches. If I create a folder for my strato rigs I'll not have to start a research.
    Generally speaking, searches might become longer but I'd start less of them.

Anyway, hope the devs will take note of the bug I've again reported :)

• We definitely do not need any folder level... but a better filter/search mechanism and an additional user filed per rig.
    The folders are really annoying because the search is just applied in one folder.

In the additional filed, you could put the "pack information" like vintage 1
    Just adding the ability to put a filter per column .... you can esily filter to mbritt as author and on vintage 1 ... but you still have the ability to filter on Dumble as amp to serch through all your profiles

So I vote for "no more folders level but a better search"

• I hear what you are saying, but scrolling down with 30+ folders at almost root level is a pain to navigate just the same. If we could just add one more sublevel that would help a ton.

This.. Also , it seems those against this method are opposed to it out of concern for slow searches if my rigs showed up under sub category then the amp name I wouldn't need to search rig manager... Perhaps the kemper team can make the directory structure switchableswitchable

• At the end of the day, I see that we all - regardless whether we support the "foder" approach or the "tag" one - are asking for a "better" implementation. What does it mean?

Both more folders and more tags (namely user-defined ones) have been requested often. We might conclude that, while RM somehow implements both, it doesn't do it in a manner that really gives users power and freedom when mastering their material.

I am "old fashioned" when it comes to file managing, Total Commander having being my user interface for 20 years or more in its various incarnations.
    The power of the folder approach is that the user creates their folders and their structure, hence their own whole data structure.
    On my computer, the same rig is stored under say MBritt, Commercial, Crunch and Strato, so that I always know where to look for when I need something. I, like many, would like to have the possibility to implement such a structure in RM as well.

Not that I'm not willing to learn or use a new approach. Apparently tho, Kemper has failed to realize that a managing method is as much powerful and versatile as much it gives users freedom\power over their data.

IOW, in order for the Tag approach to work for everyone, the user must have the possibility to establish their own tags. Or to create their own folders without limitations.
    I'd say at least two custom tags would be needed, if not an unlimited (or anyway great) number of them.

I feel that most complaints and requests about RM come because of the reasons I've mentioned above.