Show your latest guitar

• It's an amazing guitar. How long have you had yours? I reach for mine very often.

I had the Horizon red with rosewood fretboard but traded it in for a Frost with maple fretboard. Both lovely guitars but prefer the frost one with its satin finish neck.

The pickups on the Silver sky beat most custom shop Strats in my opinion.

'You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead' - Stan Laurel

• I had the Horizon red with rosewood fretboard but traded it in for a Frost with maple fretboard. Both lovely guitars but prefer the frost one with its satin finish neck.

The pickups on the Silver sky beat most custom shop Strats in my opinion.

Yeah I'd love to try the maple board version! And yup, no need for any other stratty axe anymore.8)

• Well now it's your turn! Pics!

Especially the avatar with P90s! I showed mine in chronological order of acquisition.

I played a 513 once and really liked it! Also thanks for the link to the TRCs.

I never thought the Silver Sky would be as good as it is, especially with a 7.25 radius, but it's deadly.

I have posted about all of these earlier in this thread.

From most recent working back in time.

2008 PRS Santana MD (Multi-Dimensional). Notice the tiny toggle switch,

11521-prs-santana-md-trem-front-landscape-black-1980-jpg

Here's the headstock with the new truss rod cover. The original "MD" looked too utilitarian.

PRS JA-15

It's PRS JA-15. JA stands for Jazz or Paul Jackson Jr. depending on who you ask. I have flatwounds on it.

11113-pasted-from-clipboard-png

Completely hollow, no tone block. carved top.

11114-pasted-from-clipboard-png

Not for a rock stage, but on a moderately loud stage (live drummer - but not crazy loud), this works well and can move into glorious musical feedback. I have replaced the "JA-15" truss rod cover with one like I put on the Santana above.

11115-pasted-from-clipboard-png

PRS SC-J (Single Cut Jumbo). This one is exceedingly difficult to photograph. It's big with its

17-inch lower bout, but it's a slimline (1 7/8" inch at the rim). Solid carved tiger flame maple top and back. I love the Bigsby. I still have the Roland pickup on it from when I played a Roland VG-99. I don't think I've used that since I got the Kemper Profiler.

13982-pasted-from-clipboard-png

Here's a stock photo of the headstock.

Here's the one in my avatar. It's a Private Stock single-cut.

11104-prs-tiger-eye-ps-jpg

Here's the headstock.

The carved eagle on the left was a gift from someone who showed up early at a gig.

Later I pulled out this guitar. It was a wild coincidence because that night was the first time I had played this guitar live. Nobody had seen it prior to that.

11074-pasted-from-clipboard-png

The pickups are PRS Soapbars with ebony covers.

11079-prs-tiger-eye-body-jpg

• The PRS that finally made me join the cult was in fact a 2001 McCarty but it's just a sunburst, not the beautiful wood of yours. I picked it up in a mom & pop guitar store and just couldn't put it down. I'm a life long Strat guy but when I'm going to do a rock thing, it's the McCarty I reach for.

The only thing I wish I could change is the way it comes up to a scooped ridge all the way around the top. I've played Strats for decades and have grown accustomed to laying my arm on that smooth sloped surface. The PRS ridge feels like someone's whacking me with a sharp stick.

Even so, I doubt this one will ever leave the collection. Sustain for days, plays like a dream and sounds incredible. The tailpiece is a bit weathered and I considered replacing it but this is just one of those magic guitars and I'm afraid of changing anything for fear of screwing it up.

Here's the one in my avatar. It's a Private Stock single-cut.

Dude, the woodwork and headstock on that are just stunning.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• It might be time to start showing your latest pedal. You would thing that would be a rare thing with a Kemper but not in my case. I am still determined to complete the ultimate pedal board! (for me). ;)

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• OMG... so beautiful!

That PS is to die for! Love that SCJ as well, and The Santana is classic beauty!

Awesome collection!:love:

• I know what you mean about the "violin" carve edge on your arm, but dayum...

• The only thing I wish I could change is the way it comes up to a scooped ridge all the way around the top. I've played Strats for decades and have grown accustomed to laying my arm on that smooth sloped surface. The PRS ridge feels like someone's whacking me with a sharp stick.

Dude !!! Wtf ? That “scooped ridge” is a recarve and its fundamental to the look of a carved top. It comes from the violin family and really highlights the carve. The PRS recarve is quite extreme but thats what makes the finish shine the way it does. Grow some flab on those arms and you’ll be fine ?

The PRS that finally made me join the cult was in fact a 2001 McCarty but it's just a sunburst, not the beautiful wood of yours. I picked it up in a mom & pop guitar store and just couldn't put it down. I'm a life long Strat guy but when I'm going to do a rock thing, it's the McCarty I reach for.

My first one was also a plain Jane vintage looking and instrument; DGT which is basically a McCarty with a trem and a second volume knob. Doesn’t look anything special (it i a 10 top and the flame is actually quite impressive in the flesh although it doesn’t photograph well), it had a few dings n the finish when I got it at about 5 years old but plays and sounds great.

• I know what you mean about the "violin" carve edge on your arm, but dayum...

Dude !!! Wtf ? That “scooped ridge” is a recarve and its fundamental to the look of a carved top. It comes from the violin family and really highlights the carve. The PRS recarve is quite extreme but thats what makes the finish shine the way it does. Grow some flab on those arms and you’ll be fine ?

You guys are clearly unacquainted with my behavior when a guitar is in my hands and a drummer is pounding out a rock beat. Imagine the squirrel from the movie Ice Age, on meth and one cup of espresso too many, slinging the guitar around like a blunt instrument while twitching randomly from spot to spot. And, you know, occasionally even managing to hit the correct note. Try surviving that kind of stupidity while pounding your arm into what feels like the edge of a ruler and then talk to me about flabby arms. :P

The smooth, gentle curves of a Strat are much more forgiving. Still the same number of wrong notes, mind you, but fewer bruises. Sadly, however, no matter how glorious a Strat sounds doing Strat-y things, even a Frankenstrat sits politely in the corner when the moment calls for a humbucker. There's no substitute in my arsenal for what the PRS gives me. So, I just suck it up, and whine about the bruises.

Alan, your PRS looks great. Mine is very similar but the tone of your burst seems much darker and richer. You also have an extra knob. I'm sure that would only confuse me.

And in case you thought I was exaggerating, this is from last night... :S

Edited 2 times, last by Chris Duncan ().

• WTAF???

• It occurs to me I've never shared pix. Here are the three horsemen. (The fourth is on holiday. It's a union thing.)

First, the accused...

2001 McCarty. Original specs, afraid to screw with something that works as well as it does. Pretty sure there's no blood on it.

Next, the 1983 G&L Skyhawk. I ordered it new from the factory after playing one in a store in 83. That could have been a very stupid thing to do since every guitar has its own soul, but it was absolutely perfect when it arrived. All nicks, cuts and bruises are of my own doing.

Originally it had the Kahler tremelo on it, with a metal bar just above the nut to clamp down the strings. That was an incredibly bad design and made changing a string on a gig an absolute nightmare. You had to get a wrench, remove the bar, and then tune the string a half step or two off so that when the tension was applied it would be in the neighborhood of tunability by the knobs on the bridge. I eventually removed it for a Kahler stop tail piece and put a couple of standard Fender style trees on the headstock. I also put Shaller tuners on it.

The middle pickup is the original single coil pup it came with. Replaced neck and bridge with two different Seymour Duncan (no relation, sadly) side by side (rather than stacked) humbucker pups, a bluesier one for the neck and a hotter one for the bridge. They sound awesome. Above the volume knob you can see a micro toggle switch I put in to let me split the coils. It splits both at once.

Because I'm always the lead singer / front man, I don't have the luxury of screwing around with guitar changes between songs since I'm the guy who's supposed to keep the crowd distracted in the first place. So, this was a Swiss Army Knife approach. Humbuckers for the Eddie type stuff, but still capable of handling Fender Strat-y territory.

It sounds great for rock but like all Frankenstrats, you can still tell that there's a Strat underneath. There's that typical Fender bite and not as much roundness to the tone. However, the G&L was the go to guitar because it has a much heavier body than the Strat. I think it's ash, if I recall. That helped a bit in that area. Plus, you know, if bikers rushed the stage...

Finally, my 89 American Strat. Originally bought in the mid 90s (back when it wasn't so much vintage as just a used guitar) as a backup in case I broke a string on the G&L. It was modified with the exact same pups / splitter, so the only tonal difference was the lighter body, whatever Strats were made out of back then. The pickguard was originally white but that doesn't work for me, so I replaced the pickguard and knobs with black. Also put Shaller tuners on it. It was then a hot swap spare for the G&L.

Even with the coil splitters, it's really not the same as a stock Fender single coil pup. About a year ago, with gigs long a thing of the past, I was pining for a plain old stock Strat. Even considered buying something before I realized that I already had one.

So, I ordered a new pickguard and knobs, lifted the modded one, pups and all, and dropped in the new one, adding back the stock pups it came with and just replacing the caps with black. It is now an absolutely garden variety, nothing special 1989 Fender Strat (Shaller tuners notwithstanding), and I'm delighted to have it in the lineup. Per my philosophy, it gives me something the Frankenstrat doesn't.

I didn't clean them up and polish them for this little dog and pony show, just snapped some pix. I actually do try to take care of them, do the occasional maintenance, etc. but mostly I just play them. And not nearly as often as I should.

Edited 3 times, last by Chris Duncan ().