If money weren't a factor Rjm mastermind gt or the remote ???

• If money really isn't the issue, then get both. The remote is great and makes for a quick small and powerful package. However, the RJM is an absolute monster and the choice if you want a lot of control. The editing (computer or on unit) of the MMGT is quite easy and ultimately you can flash it for different rigs with a USB stick if needed. I've actually got the MMGT controlling several rigs for studio work at the same time.

I can grab either setup depending on the need.

If you can only get one then follow this:

- You are a control freak or just need it = RJM
    - You don't need control of everything or just don't want to mess with it = REMOTE

I like the remote, but I keep running into little things that you cannot do with it that I can easily do with the RJM. I do however, love the ease of use around core functionality of the REMOTE. In the end I use both for different situations.

• Thanks for the input, Perhaps Ill justify both some day in my mind. I do like the control and endless posssibility of RJM. For now, As I stated early in my post money really is somewhat of a consideration but I wanted to take it out of the equation...

• rustolium, How inter-active is the Mastermind with the Kemper. how close to the remote does it work and what kind of connection is neccessary

Its is different. It is really cool with two way communication set up as you can setup IA switches and it displays what effect is there. I have no issues with responsiveness. The MMGT allows you to access stuff you can't with the REMOTE. You can setup control for either browse or performance mode easily.

The he connections I use are the phantom power box that enables two way midi from RJM. I split from there to send midi to other devices so the first in/out midis the MMGT sees is the Kemper.

• I went with the RJM MMGT 22, and here's why:

1. I control 3 external MIDI devices. The Kemper can only control 2. I can do this all perfectly from the MMGT.
    2. Scribble Strips/Displays. I primarily play music for church/worship (and often times I'm covering for multiple musicians), but I also play post-rock/ambient and metal. Right now, on the MMGT, I have close to 60 songs set up, and 80 individual patches. Each song has a different set of tones - some only needing one patch, some needing nearly a dozen. This way, I can see exactly what I have available to me instead of having to remember which slot each song's lead patch is on (if there's one at all). I can also see, quickly, what key I'm in, and hop to non-set-listed songs and presets quickly.
    3. I can set up songs and set lists quickly. The Kemper's software doesn't work well for me for building up performances quickly and easily, particularly with the poor MIDI capability (and even how it breaks when you move around performances). With the MMGT, I set up a set list, tell it what songs I want, and done.
    4. I want to start incorporating some live looping to a higher complexity than what the Kemper can do. I will eventually be incorporating MainStage into my rig via MIDI as well, and I can set that up in any way that works for me.
    4. It looks like a friggen spaceship.

I would say the MMGT isn't perfect. There are some buggy elements, but Ron is very quick to respond, and the MMGT is built like a tank. I love mine. It works very well with the Kemper, though I've had some configuration issues that seem to be isolated to only myself.

That said, if the only device I used was the Kemper, I wouldn't have gone with the MMGT. It's an expensive controller, but for someone with a large number of songs, ever-changing set lists, last minute set changes, and multiple MIDI devices, it's the best out there.

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack

• like you I'm a worship artist so that means covering lots of ground tonally. 60 songs and 80 patches though, wow. I like the concept of having one or two amps supported by many different switchable effects that way I can adapt to different songs. For example I have a clean pushed distorted and lead but also 3 different ambient rigs. Standard swells to a washed out reverb for term picking. Anyway I may end up deciding to sell the remote and go Rjm at some point but I'm really trying to contain all within the profiler without much external gear.

• like you I'm a worship artist so that means covering lots of ground tonally. 60 songs and 80 patches though, wow. I like the concept of having one or two amps supported by many different switchable effects that way I can adapt to different songs. For example I have a clean pushed distorted and lead but also 3 different ambient rigs. Standard swells to a washed out reverb for term picking. Anyway I may end up deciding to sell the remote and go Rjm at some point but I'm really trying to contain all within the profiler without much external gear.

I primarily use about 5 different presets - a Vox AC-30 with practically zero gain, an AC-30 that breaks up slightly with breakup (standard clean), standard clean + boost, standard clean + vibrato, standard clean + flanger. In addition, I sometimes use a DC30 profile for some sounds, an acoustic preset (for either the piezos on my guitar or when playing acoustic gigs), and about a dozen "artist" presets that sound like Satriani, Vai, Eric Johnson, and a few others. The "artist" presets only have a single patch on the RJM, but the others (5 + Matchless + Acoustic), combined with up to 6 combinations of overdrive pedals + the dozen or so presets I use on the BigSky + the dozen or so presets I use on the Timeline... it adds up quickly. Light gain with no delay on one song, but light gain with a 1/4 note delay on the next, and ultra clean w/ a chorale reverb on the next... it adds up.

I don't go for matching the songs we play exactly, or, jeez, I'd be using even more, and probably a second Kemper in the mix, since many worship guitarists have two amps. But I try to capture the feel - listening for the amount of ambience in the reverb, the type of delay being used, the amount of gain that's being pushed - and then how I personally feel on a song.

At this point, I have very little to configure when we do a new song, since all the presets are set up and organized well, I can drop the songs in a new setlist on the RJM, and most of the patches I can reuse. Occasionally, I have to build a new preset, but since I know the base I'll be using is a limited set of options (primarily the Vox profiles), and I know what my overdrives sound like together, and I know what patches I have available on my Strymon stuff, I can create new patches without having to even test them out.

Unfortunately, I want to tweak some of my overdrive settings and positions, so it might mean some rebuilding. But, all in all, I'm liking how it all works together. And having a desktop editor honestly makes it worth every penny.

Plus, with 4.0 coming out sometime before the end of mankind, I might be able to consolidate some of my patches by using my expression pedal - i.e. maybe have the tremolo always available, and control the amount via a backwards sweep.

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack

• I'm currently using the Remote but now considering the Mastermind GT 16, for the following reasons:

• Pedal latency in the Remote has prompted me to add a couple of external pedals already to my setup (wah and envelope filter currently, possibly a whammy next).
    • Remote pedal layout too small, buttons too close together for my clumsy feet.
    • I find Performance mode and the way in which the Remote is configured to work exclusively with this format too restrictive. I need the song/setlist feature available on the GT.
    • I don't like trying to remember which FX I have stored on which Stomp buttons ("Is the purple button in this rig phase or flange?", "Is this green button a long or a short delay or a reverb?", etc.). I want a nice clear label on the button telling me what it does.
  • If there was a way to connect Mastermind GT with just one cable as the Remote, the Mastermind GT would be my choice.

Or even better, if there was a way to use the new Line6 Helix Control with one cable, that would be even better, since Mastermind is ridiculously expensive.

[Blocked Image: http://media.guitarcenter.com/is/image/MMGS7/Helix-Foot-Controller/J23117000000000-00-500x500.jpg]

• If there was a way to connect Mastermind GT with just one cable as the Remote, the Mastermind GT would be my choice.

Or even better, if there was a way to use the new Line6 Helix Control with one cable, that would be even better, since Mastermind is ridiculously expensive.

Pretty sure Mastermind can connect to the KPA with one cable, if you buy RJM's adapter box.

• I'm currently using the Remote but now considering the Mastermind GT 16, for the following reasons:

• Pedal latency in the Remote has prompted me to add a couple of external pedals already to my setup (wah and envelope filter currently, possibly a whammy next).
    • Remote pedal layout too small, buttons too close together for my clumsy feet.
    • I find Performance mode and the way in which the Remote is configured to work exclusively with this format too restrictive. I need the song/setlist feature available on the GT.
    • I don't like trying to remember which FX I have stored on which Stomp buttons ("Is the purple button in this rig phase or flange?", "Is this green button a long or a short delay or a reverb?", etc.). I want a nice clear label on the button telling me what it does.

Thanks for taking time to post. I agree with the last 3. Now own the remote but may still upgrade at some point. After all, I said if money werent a factor.

• That Helix Remote looks awesome, gonna have a look at the protocol :D KempLine v2? Who knows...

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• What I find with all these foot based controlling options is that, if your eyesight is not sound without glasses - and who goes onstage with them on - you won't see Jack of what's written on the LED. My motto " keep it simple" if it means learning what the coloured spots mean, then learn them. It's the same sort if discipline as knowing what reverse delay means...