Super tight metal profiles? Help!!!

• Anybody know any SUPER TIGHT metal profiles?

I've gone thought hundreds of Sinmix Tonehammer and bla bla prfiles and I have yet to find any that sounds like I want.

This is a good example of what I'm talking about. Not a lot of gain but still compressed and sharp enough to every picking flies out.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Heeeelp :|

• ...And have you tried messing with the EQ, amp parameters and cab parameters?

I was going to ask this too, Michael. Good call, mate.

Cederick, have you fully explored the amp parameters, mate? There's much that can be done in terms of modernising and "vintagising" as well as tightening and loosening the sound and feel in this section. I'd suggest diving in and fiddling as there's nothing like immediate, real-world feedback(!) to give you an idea of what you can achieve here.

• Part of the problem is that guitar tones sound very different in a mix than played on their own. I think this band play Peavey XXX's and are not massively down-tuned. Most metal profiles feel the to need to demo in A or B tuning, so hard to compare.

Did you try the Tonehammer Mr Hector profiles? They sound quite different from the rest and have the edgy upper mid range.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• Tightness is largely a function of how a (distorting) guitar preamp reacts to the lows in your guitar pickup signal. There are other factors, but this is the big one. The easiest solution is put a high-pass filter EQ in your signal chain before hitting the preamp. Alternatively, an overdrive pedal with a variable high-pass filter built in will also do the trick (which is pretty much every "Tight" pedal in the amptweaker.com catalog, note.)

The Havok clip you posted is seriously bass-light, BTW. That's the tradeoff - the more you tighten your guitars for punch, the more you need to compensate with a proper blend of bass in the mix to make up for it (and this track doesn't, unfortunately.)

Key guitar pickup frequencies to roll off (in my experience) are those below 95Hz-185Hz, try putting the Studio EQ in the D slot and raising the "Low Cut" while a friend palm-mutes chugs on the lowest string until you get the desired effect. The higher the gain, the more important this setting can be.

-djh

• This sound is defenitly in the kpa in tons of rectifyer profiles. Its a little work to find out what fits best but have have to choose the right cab and the right tweak of an eq.
    As written above, if you didnt find this sound in sinmix or deadlights profiles you do something wrong.
    If i had to create this sound without buying commercial profiles id first have a look on the bunch of free recti rig on rm and on differnt cabs. You can get a bunch of free cab from till schleichers website. He offers a cool free cab pack with many useful ones. Also the free mesa oversize cab deadlight studios on rm has a sharp sound.