5.2.0.12879 issues - darn it!

• I was really looking forward to this release with it's advertised 'fix' for the volume links, which WAS affecting my amp and killing my volume on stage rather arbitrarily.

Well I tried it at my St. Patty's Day gig last night... and my volume just faded away quickly in one song to nearly inaudible after 2 sets. I quickly "unlinked" the main volume, which did nothing, and then rebooted, and the volume was back... for a while that is. In all I needed to reboot the KPA 3 times to just make it through the night. Fortunately I had enough keyboard songs to play that we just changed song choices while rebooting, so the audience was none the wiser. I just wished this problem would truly be fixed and just go away for good!! I've never heard of an amp doing this.

Gary ô¿ô

• I was really looking forward to this release with it's advertised 'fix' for the volume links, which WAS affecting my amp and killing my volume on stage rather arbitrarily.

Well I tried it at my St. Patty's Day gig last night... and my volume just faded away quickly in one song to nearly inaudible after 2 sets. I quickly "unlinked" the main volume, which did nothing, and then rebooted, and the volume was back... for a while that is. In all I needed to reboot the KPA 3 times to just make it through the night. Fortunately I had enough keyboard songs to play that we just changed song choices while rebooting, so the audience was none the wiser. I just wished this problem would truly be fixed and just go away for good!! I've never heard of an amp doing this.

Have you checked your rig and main volume knobs? Do the LED indicators on them move by themselves? It could be that a pot is failing. I haven't had this problem with my Kemper yet, touch wood.

• Have you checked your rig and main volume knobs? Do the LED indicators on them move by themselves? It could be that a pot is failing. I haven't had this problem with my Kemper yet, touch wood.

Since these controls on the KPA aren't actual "pots" this would never be the case. They are rotary encoders whose values are read in software by detecting the rotary motion rather than an absolute location of the control. The way these work a failure would not exhibit this type of behavior. This is not to say that a different failure in the encoder detection circuit couldn't cause an issue that would cause the software to react as though the knob had been turned but that is not a failing "pot" per se and is a rather unlikely failure scenario.

• I have never had this happen (knock on wood). Do you use the Remote? Are you connected to a computer via USB?
    Do you use the morphing feature?

Just trying to see what the difference might be with people that have this issue, those that do not.

I really doubt that this has anything to do with volume linking. If that happens, you can check the volumes at the OUTPUT section. If the linking would be responsible, you would see the 'changing' or 'fading' values there, but I don't think that will be the case. There must be a different reason for this.
    If it happens again, please check the OUTPUT section, check the Pedal settings in the SYSTEM menu and contact support.
    Are you using the Remote?

• Thanks guys for all your replies. Nicky, I didn't realize there was already a site for this update, but I will post on there.

For the record I've been having this problem off and on (during gigs naturally) for maybe 3-4 months now, so it not new to this FW upgrade. My support tickets all pointed to a "known bug" and I'm imagining this was supposed to fix it, among other things.

When it happens I DO check the Output section immediately @timo as advised by support. Last night the monitor volume still registered -12dB or so, even when nearly silent, and Master Volume was around 5.0. Raising either of these resulted in no change whatsoever, which is why I rebooted. Then the volume was normal as I said in my post. I hadn't touched anything on the Remote, which I am using, nor changed rigs. Didn't think to check Pedal settings. I must investigate and see if per chance it's only happening on rigs withOUT Wah in them, so that that pedal is controlling volume and dummy me is leaving it heel down - hadn't thought to look at that... I'm not above doing something that stupid I guess. I'll investigate that tomorrow. That would be a simple fix, eh?

But if that's NOT it... hmm... (no time to set it up tonight and play with it).

Thanks again for all of your input.

Gary ô¿ô

• @prsgary - is the output glitch similar to this?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• No, not really @tommyguitar. When mine goes, it goes to nearly silent and stays that way. I can crank the Master Volume knob, play with pedal all I want, but still won't hear anything but faint sound.

I'm considering buying a 2nd powered toaster (especially considering the recent price drop) reasoning that the problem may not to related to any particular setting, but an internal malfunction. Any one have thoughts on that possibility?

Gary ô¿ô

• It's anyone's guess at the moment I reckon, Gaz.

You say it's been manifesting for 3 or 4 months now. Can you remember if it followed a FW upgrade, major Rig cleanout, RM upgrade or some other data-intensive action, or was it something that literally came out of the blue?

• @prsgary In order to analyze this further we need more specific information:

I understand, Master Volume didn't recover normal level. But did it have any impact at all or was it just dysfunctional? Earlier you mentioned that you unlinked MAIN OUPUT from Master Volume. If that is still the case and MAIN OUT is the output you use, Master Volume should have no impact.

What about Main Output Volume? Is Main Output Volume able to recover normal level or is it completely dysfunctional?

I understand as well, you are using an expression pedal configured as "Wah Pedal" and the link "WahPedal to Volume" is activated. If the issue happens, what are the levels of the Wah Pedal and Volume Pedal bars on page Pedal Links in the System Settings?

Is the lower level corresponding to a less responsive input LED? Perhaps the issue evolves at the input? Which input are you using for your guitar? Have you tried ALTERNATIVE IN instead of Front INPUT or vice versa?

Is any Morphing involved? If the issue happens, does the bar reflecting the level of Morphing on the Play Page show up?

Instead of restarting ... have you tried to create an Output Preset of your preferred output configuration and just reloaded that Preset? You could also try to perform an Init Globals in the System Settings and then reload your Output Preset.

Do you experience the issue in both Performance Mode and Browse Mode or in which one?

If you have more information, please open a support ticket, attach a backup of the error situation and information as specific as possible.

• One more question

Burkhard, thank you for your kind attention to my issue. It speaks volumes when a company involves itself as you have in troubleshooting.

All pedal assignments not in use are set to off. Master Volume is linked through Monitor Output in my case, I don't use the Main Output. (I previously had both Main and Monitor Outs linked, but Hans suggested I unlink the one not in use.) When this issue arises, no change on ANY volume knob has any effect whatsoever. The indicator line for Master Volume moves, but no sound comes out if that helps. And yes, i am using the front Input only. It has occurred on both morphed and unmorphed rigs.

As this occurs during stage performances, I don't really have the luxury to check all the system parameters and pedal bar levels. And as I use Performance mode only on stage, I can't say whether it would be the same in Browse. If this recurs in my home studio prior to my next gig I will check all that you suggested, same for an Output Preset, and write as detailed a support ticket as possible.

Thanks again.

Gary ô¿ô

• I ran into a similar issue on a gig on Sunday. Sudden loss of volume (zero) and an unresponsive Volume pedal.

Setup: Pigtronix dual pedal via Planet Waves Stereo cable into Sw/Pedal socket 2 - Mode 1 (Powerhead on latest Beta - I like to live on the edge!)

On the gig I fixed it by unplugging / replugging at the pedal end.

In my studio this morning, I had another go and reproduced the issue by rotating (not removing) the jack at the pedal end. The calibration bar goes to zero and stays there. Further rotations don't reconnect.

I’ve held the jack still while rotating the cable, to test for a dodgy cable but that doesn’t do it.

Additionally by plugging the Planet waves cable into a short adapter cable (Stereo line socket to right angled jack - cheap stuff - Maplin) and then rotating the the right angled jack in the pedal socket - no problem at all. Similarly, rotating the Waves jack in the line socket - no problem.

I have run similar tests on two other cable with no problems.

So, all eyes turn to the Planet Waves cable but this tests as AOK with a cable tester. I don’t know if it is one of their ‘directional’ cables i.e. shield connected at only one end so I did reverse it for the tests but no difference was noted.

All very odd (and long winded)!

My solution - try / use other cables - there is a difference. (Capacitance?)