Questions from a Newb on the verge of purchasing a Kemper Profiler

• Hi Everyone,
    A recent joiner here looking to get a few questions answered before making the leap into this wonderful profiler. Please understand I'm a newb to most equipment so forgive me if these questions or my comments sound fundamental to the more experienced folk here.

My understanding of the Kemper is that the unit effectively "diagnoses" (for lack of a better term) real amps throughout history and around the world, mic'd up in a particular way, and takes a digital snapshot based off that process such that the unit can reproduce the given sound for the user. I also understand that Kemper's approach is quite different than the approach used by the Fractal, Line 6, and other firms in the space where the latter try to create digital amps from scratch, effectively.

From virtually every source I've researched (and one from an in-person conversation I had recently with a rather well-known Youtube reviewer), the tone produced by Kemper is recommended as the most "organic", "authentic", "like the real thing", etc. This also seems to be confirmed to my ears through the many YouTube videos I've seen comparing the various products. I like this aspect as I don't prefer a very processed sound.

Now, I've got a few questions in terms of which unit to purchase and some of my thinking around it.

1) First, I live in a flat and thus space is somewhat limited. Is there any advantage to the rack mounted version over the toaster version? Seems to me that perhaps the toaster version would be more suitable due to a smaller footprint? Is this the choice of most apartment dwellers?

2) As to colour, do most prefer the black version to the white? Is one easier to read in low light relative to the other?

3) As to the powered vs unpowered version, is it true that there are good solutions (like, for example, the Camplifier amp module) that can be added on later if necessary? I watched a video on the Camplifier site and they say 600W is a bit overkill and money can be saved with a third party option along with other benefits.

4) What "tweaking" can be done with the profiles? Is there sufficient flexibility to go a bit outside the given profiles (whether stock in the unit or purchased 3rd party) to get solid unique tones? For example, I might like The Edge's sound on a particular song, but I don't necessarily want to BE The Edge on one of my own songs if you know what I mean.

5) How many guitars can be run through the unit at a given time? One? any more than one? If so, how?

6) For studio work, how is the unit configured to work with MacBook Pro and DAW? What do some of you use to record? and for live work, what type of setup is needed...Just a mixer and an FRFR? Again, I have no experience performing live but want to perform in the near future.

Again, apologies for these newb questions. I don't know anyone personally that has this unit so I can't really experience it first hand. I have been in a couple of stores that sell the unit, but I don't like the pressured environment of a store to consider all the possibilities and the purchase. I'm pretty set on Kemper, but I just need to understand a bit more about it. Thank you all.

IG

• The profiles can be tweaked in multiple ways, like a real amp and more. You can raise or lower the definition, clarity and pick attack, sag, EQ, plus compression, add effect etc. Many profiles sound great with minor changes or none at all. Your guitars and taste may be different from those of the profiler. Still, the Kemper is more like an amp than other digital devices, so you need not be an expert in computer stuff. Not at all. If you are a bedroom player probably an unpowered toaster is the way to go. Headphones, studio monitors and/or some active cab of your choice may be all you need.

Never too old for rock'n'roll

• As for recording, any interface with line in inputs will suffice. You can also record via coaxial spdif to cut out a conversion stage and keep everything in the digital domain, but keep in mind that you'll be limited to sample rates of 44.1 kHz in your DAW and the Kemper has to be set to clock master. The analogue outputs in my experience sound just as good as through spdif, so I would just use what is best for your workflow.

Theoretically, you can run two guitars through the Profiler at once, though one will have to use a Loop Stomp and the Return as input. Using the parallel path options, you can get two different sounds on both guitars, though only one can use the Amp section in that scenario, as opposed to running them both through the Amp section at the same time without the parallel path switched on. It isn't actually designed for this though, so whether it is usable or not to you depends on the application and getting to know the unit properly.

I have an Ambrosi ATM-70 third-party power amp in the rear of my toaster. They're unfortunately discontinued now, but I found it more flexible and less worrying than the 600 Watt amp in my Power Rack (which I eventually ended up selling due to the toaster fulfilling all duties), as it's rated at 60 Watts, has two outputs for running two cabs at once, and can safely deal with 4 ohm loads without having to second-guess volume.

• V8,
    Thanks for your thorough replied on each of my questions! Funny for me, there's something about the white that I like (?).. it looks a bit "retro futuristic" as I've heard it termed by someone else. When I first saw it in white, I thought, "Hmm, that looks interesting..Like something from a Flash Gordon movie from the 30's maybe." Anyway, I agree the black looks more "rock and roll". Giving this some thought. Again, thanks for your response. Very helpful. I'm glad to hear the unit is quite tweak-able.

Cheers,
    IG

• It's fair to say that lots of people , even guitar players have not seen or heard a Kemper, and when they come to my studio and see my White toaster they invariably say WTF is that !....it's so cool !

No Gain - No Pain.... :D

• It's fair to say that lots of people , even guitar players have not seen or heard a Kemper, and when they come to my studio and see my White toaster they invariably say WTF is that !....it's so cool !

Ha! Yes, that's kind of what I'm hoping for! I do think the toaster looks so incredibly cool...like it comes from from some alien civilization or something. Interesting how the engineers decided on that design. Or maybe the design evolved that way out of some functional/ergonomic necessity. In any case, I think it's super cool. Thanks for your comment.

IG

• Seriously just a persoanl choice on cool. The unit looks different in either. You will not have tweakability concerns plus you have 6500+ profiles to choose from on Rig exchange and countless profiles for sale. For me there is way more than enough variation on both amps and effects, as well as config options and extension pedals...AND dead easy to use!

• Hey, what's 3,500 profiles between friends. : ) But seriously, I don't think I'll have any problems whatsoever finding tones that I like. In addition to my own stuff, I've always wanted to dial in certain songs that have certain tones (for example, Gilmour (Comfortably Numb), Knopfler (Sultans, Bros. in Arms), Page, SRV, Lifeson, and a few others) and I'm sure the Kemper will do the trick.

Thanks again everyone. Your comments confirm my decision to go with a Kemper is the right one for me.

Cheers,
    IG

• Hey, what's 3,500 profiles between friends. : ) But seriously, I don't think I'll have any problems whatsoever finding tones that I like. In addition to my own stuff, I've always wanted to dial in certain songs that have certain tones (for example, Gilmour (Comfortably Numb), Knopfler (Sultans, Bros. in Arms), Page, SRV, Lifeson, and a few others) and I'm sure the Kemper will do the trick.

Thanks again everyone. Your comments confirm my decision to go with a Kemper is the right one for me.

Cheers,
    IG

I have been a hardcore gear nerd and tone tweaker forever. Take it from me, about 4.5 months in, it’s mind blowing. I feel like I have just now reached the point where I have maximized my core tone and it just keeps getting better and better.

Don’t get me wrong, it was absolutely amazing from the start, but my live show is just top notch now. Every rig in every performance is dialed specifically per part. If I’m playing a shreddy solo in one song, I can get the clarity to cut and have note separation, if there is a slow solo break, I can have sustain and singing lead tone with tons of beautiful reverb and tape delay. All of this with ONE switch press. I would have spent twice as much on my pedal board alone to get where I am now, and I was really close to doing it. Adding midi and custom wiring, etc. Now, I have the Kemper remote and an expression pedal and I’m done. I’m in love.

• I have been a hardcore gear nerd and tone tweaker forever. Take it from me, about 4.5 months in, it’s mind blowing. I feel like I have just now reached the point where I have maximized my core tone and it just keeps getting better and better.
    Don’t get me wrong, it was absolutely amazing from the start, but my live show is just top notch now. Every rig in every performance is dialed specifically per part. If I’m playing a shreddy solo in one song, I can get the clarity to cut and have note separation, if there is a slow solo break, I can have sustain and singing lead tone with tons of beautiful reverb and tape delay. All of this with ONE switch press. I would have spent twice as much on my pedal board alone to get where I am now, and I was really close to doing it. Adding midi and custom wiring, etc. Now, I have the Kemper remote and an expression pedal and I’m done. I’m in love.

That. Is. Awesome. So glad to hear you've got it all dialed in! Can't wait to get mine. Should arrive in about 8 days or so.

IG

• I have been a hardcore gear nerd and tone tweaker forever. Take it from me, about 4.5 months in, it’s mind blowing. I feel like I have just now reached the point where I have maximized my core tone and it just keeps getting better and better.

Loved this, Sunshine!