New to Kemper

• Hello,

My name is Gary and I just ordered my Kemper non powered rack and remote. Super excited to be getting it soon and start learning everything there is to know about it. I have heard nothing but good things about Kemper and I cant wait to have it in my hands. I have some questions about it, like most newbies and I am hoping that I can get those answers here.

1. I have been using Helix and the AX8 for the last year. My typical set up is 5 patches: 1. Clean 2. Rhythm 3. Rhythm w/ delay 4. Rhythm w/ chorus 5. Solo. I am assuming that I will be able to set up my Kemper and remote the same way?
    2. I no longer own any tube amps. I sold everyone that I owned when I got comfortable with modeling systems. Do I have to an amp to profile or will I be able to build amps off of factory amps (hopefully the Kemper comes with factory installed amps) that are installed in the Kemper or off of the Kemper exchange?
    3. As far as creating tones and dialing in tones, is the Kemper easier to navigate and use than the AX8?
    4. Is there any "must have" Kemper or third party software that I should be aware of?
    5. Can I use the Kemper for recording with my Sonar Platinum?

Sorry if my questions are repetitive and typical of the newbie that is purchasing a Kemper. I am trying to get my head wrapped around this unit as much as possible and these are the things that I haven't really seen on the internet.
    Thank you so much,
    Gary

• Hi Gary,

1) Yes plus a multitude of other options e.g. stomps on and off..really flexible
    2) There are thousands of profiles available free of the rig exchange plus factory ones, plus commercial ones so no issue if you don't have an amp to profile. Its quite a fun process though...
    3) Not used an AX8 but its really simple to use and very easy to change tones. The rig specific tones are all changeable on the front face with the bass, mid, treble, presence controls. Like anything you need to get used to navigation but its very straight forward
    4) Only really the Rig manager. Its probably the Kemper's weakest part is that the software is only really used for organising your "performances" ( the banks of patches) and trying sounds ( much easier to click on each one and try it.
    5) Not sure what that is but if its a regular interface/DAW then yes...

Welcome to the club!

• No problem. I use mine live ( many people just in the studio) and setting up the remote is so easy. I also use morphing as extra sounds..

You can use morphing in a number of ways but basically you can change teh parameters within a rig and change between them eitehr with an expression pedal or by hitting the foot switch.

To better explain, I have my main rhythm sound on foot switch 3, but I have it so that I can add just a touch more gain, treble and volume to make a riff stand out without going to another patch. I just hit switch 3 again and it adds the extra I've dialed in...hit it again and it reverts back to my main Rhythm. I have it set up to change instantly but you can set the time to change as well.

As you can do that with any of the foot switches I have 10 sounds instead of 5 on the one bank. Its marvelous!

Its worth getting an expression pedal or 2....I have one for Volume ( which when off flicks to tuner), one for Wah ( converted crybaby) and one for whammy...I bough the Moog pedals for about £30 each...

• I will be doing the same with mine (using it live). My current patches have effects mixed in, such as clean with chorus, delay and reverb. Will I be able to create patches like this or do I have to set up separate stomps to activate when needed?

• I will be doing the same with mine (using it live). My current patches have effects mixed in, such as clean with chorus, delay and reverb. Will I be able to create patches like this or do I have to set up separate stomps to activate when needed?

Both...you can have say a gain "patch" with chorus switched on so that when you select it its always on, or as a stomp that you switch on at will or as a stomp switched on that you can switch off.

You can have multiple stomps switched on or off at the touch of the patch button and up to 4 effects switch on and off in any combination on the stomp switch. Very versatile and very easy to set up as well..

• Welcome Gary,
    what is your fav amp sound and what kind of guitars do you prefer?

Cheers
    Frank

I am a metal player so I will be looking for a Randall Satan profile, 6505+, Mesa MKII++, Triple Rec. etc.
    I own Ibanez Prestige guitars with either a Dimarzio Dactivator or Evo in bridge and Air Norton in the Neck.

• I am a metal player so I will be looking for a Randall Satan profile, 6505+, Mesa MKII++, Triple Rec. etc.I own Ibanez Prestige guitars with either a Dimarzio Dactivator or Evo in bridge and Air Norton in the Neck.

Ah, so I can recommend to check out "sinmix" profiles or "deadlight studio" profiles and cabs. Before you buy some check out the rig manager for their freebies.