Becoming acquainted with the Kemper Profiler pt. 1

• Hello everyone, I'm getting annoyed with multiple pedal shuffling and am considering a Kemper but want to be certain I won't be sacrificing much in the gamut of my sounds. Specifically, I have the usual delay, distortion, compression and wah pedals and am looking to reduce the herd. Ideally, I will end up with only my Behringer FCB1010 and a Profiler :)

Here's how you guys can help: I will present my individual pedals with its parameters and you will define the equivalent function on the Kemper. I've noted the rather substantial manual and would like to avoid reading it if I can so forgive me in advance if I make a fool of myself with obvious questions. I'll be presenting my pedals in the order of their frequency in my chain and since I want the discussion to be comprehensive, I'll be doing only one type of pedal per thread. This thread will be delays and modulators. First up:

Digitech Timebender
    I figured I'd start with this one since it has lots of complexity (possibly more than it needs) but it does make lots of the other pedals unnecessary. There are four straight delay types (channels: Digital, Analog, Moving Head Tape, Variable Speed Tape), three dynamic delay types (channels: Dynamic Digital, Dynamic Analog, Dynamic Repeats) and three processed types (channels: Time Warp, Reverse, Envelope). It also has a looper channel but we'll ignore that for now since it's arguably not a tone related function. If the Kemper has direct equivalents of these, how do I get at them?

• You will find most of if not all and indeed more .. in the kempers delay section ...without knowing the digitech it’s hard to give direct comparisons ...but digital,analog and tape plus reverse and more much much more are available in one or more slots (pre or post..) in the Kemper

• millstudios
    Thanks for stepping in to help. Okay, so I will be completely describing the Digitech, along with all the other functions of the pedals in this category. All I need is the corresponding function in the Kemper so I can range in my sound. To be clear, are you stating with assurance that the delay types I identified above are present in the Kemper? If they aren't named identically, how is the corresponding function for each named and called in? If you, or anyone else needs a further explanation/description of each of those delay types, just ask. I expect this could become a reference thread for anyone looking to trade in their pedals for a single unit modeler by showing exactly where and how they match.

Please explain to me how the Kemper does pre and post processing or if you can't, what you meant by getting it "pre or post".

• Your best bet is going to be just going into the shop like everyone else and trying it for yourself. Or watching YouTube videos about the relevant effects section.

Most people that own a kemper have come from exactly the same situation as you, but did their own research.

You would be unwise to sell your gear based on the opinions of some forum members anyway :P

I went into a music shop to try it first, and I liked it but didn't have enough time to fully get into it. I'll need months.

So what I'm doing is buying a Kemper and then comparing it to my existing rig. Whichever one I like more, I will keep, and sell the other.

You could try something similar.

• The upgraded delay options from a few firmware updates back made it possible for me to no longer need any external delay units (I was using an Eventide H9). Can the Kemper do everything that the Eventide can regarding delays? No, but it does a good enough job that the convenience of staying all "in the box" outshines the minute advantages that the H9 brought.

• Frodebro
    Thanks for distilling the point of my exercise here. I'm ready to sacrifice some of the 'on the fringe' sounds for the convenience of a one box solution but I'd like to have an understanding of where those fringes are likely to be.

paults
    I'm hoping that isn't the case. I expect that someone here should be able to translate the functions of my pedals to the Kemper. For example, the Kemper describes seven reverb types (single, dual, two tap, serial two tap, quad, legacy and rhythm delay), Of these; single, two tap, serial two tap, quad and rhythm are available as patterns on the Timebender. Additionally, these patterns can be used in conjunction with any of the Timebender channels described above. Each delay type on the Kemper seems to be a specific selection but anyone feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken in that assumption. What kind of sound is the Kemper "Legacy" delay? What is meant by a "Dual Delay"? How does the Kemper achieve the variable tape delay characteristics available on the Timebender?

PulseFour
    Given the testimonies here that many are still discovering how to do things on the Kemper years after getting it and the steep learning curve evident in the manual, I think going into a shop and sitting with it a while won't tell me as much as getting answers to direct questions. We're not talking about a painless purchase for most of us so some solid investigation seems appropriate.

Edited 2 times, last by gmaslin ().

• millstudios
    No, I had not seen that video. Thanks, it was very helpful. Okay, so much was explained, here is what I've understood:
    The low and high cut with the wow and flutter functions will allow me to explore the tape emulations I'm so fond of on the Digitech. I was happy to see many of the same combinations on the Kemper that I get on the Timebender. Kemper does it by defining the patterns as the delay type and adding the effects to those where Digitech commits you to their predefined function as the "type of delay", gives you a tone knob to tweak the reverb and allows you to overlay a pattern on those. The Kemper method seems more logical to me. The swell and smear functions are direct controls on the Kemper. Conversely, the Timebender forces you to choose the pattern, turn the repeat knob into the upper region and mess with the mix knob to get the right swell. You have to do some calculations to get smear but because the Timebender gives you pitch voicing and millisecond precision, it's doable. It seems like the "Legacy" type on the Kemper is spring reverb. This type of reverb is a pain to get right on the Timebender. If the "Legacy" type is a good oscillating analog reverb, it would be one more plus over the Digitech. One last note, the Timebender repeat knob in the normal range acts like surfaces and the distance is defined by the delay range (10-5000ms). Questions:

Are the observations/conclusions I made above correct?
    What is the minimum and maximum range of delay on the Kemper?
    What setting do you guys use to get a huge, canyon like, expanse of sound?

Edited once, last by gmaslin ().

• The KPA will more than satisfy your needs for delay I would suspect. I mean I sold all of my $700 Strymons and the likes type of stomps and kept only what the KPA doesn't have or lacks for me personally. Kept my Strymon Flint, my Cantrell wah (even though an expression pedal works too), and a Klon OD. Might have to get the Digitech Freq-out. 8o

• I am new to the Kemper. What is there about the Strymon Flint that you would feel you need it with the Kemper? And are there reasons why you would keep the Flint and not a Timeline or Mobius (other than cost)? I am trying to make a similar decision. Thanks

• I am new to the Kemper. What is there about the Strymon Flint that you would feel you need it with the Kemper? And are there reasons why you would keep the Flint and not a Timeline or Mobius (other than cost)? I am trying to make a similar decision. Thanks

The Flint gives you a different flavour of Reverb that's not in the Kemper. But as far as Tremolo, even if the Flint one sounds amazing, the Kemper can get you there.

• lk_bill
    The Big Sky was going to be the next box examined in this thread. Since it has much in common with the Flint, I'd like to examine the specifics that might prevent the Kemper from matching its "flavour". Please define flavor in terms of sound size, attack and decay.

808illest
    These kind of blanket assurances without any substantive details don't further the efforts of this thread. I'm sorry to point out your specific post to do this but it is a perfect example of exactly what I don't want to see more of in this thread. I posed questions in this thread that remain unanswered; is there any reason why you couldn't have shared your experience with the Kemper to answer them instead of fluffing it?

jm345kem
    I'm with you, I'd like specific descriptions for evidence and reasons to do things.

• I do not think you will get a definitive answer here. We can help with what the parameters mean ( although they are all in the manual) but this will not be a 1-1 correlation with your current effects.

Your question is can I ditch the pedals ? Some people, despite the Kemper having a wealth of capability still use outboard pedals. I absolutely do not because I don;t think they are needed. Some people prefer Digitech whammy and crybaby to built in Kemper effects, I don't. So its very subjective...

Also note arguably the Kemper's weakest point compared to AxeFx and Helix is effects, but the Kemper has the edge on amp sounds ( I am totally generalizing here) but its by no means a restriction for me.

My advice, do some basic research on the actual functions, suffice to say that most effects have masses of parameters, but with regards to sound, you'll need to try it. The Kemper certainly in my view need nothing it terms of distortion and gain effects so your amp sounds are top notch.

If you can afford it, prefer the remote to the FCB1010...

• V8guitar
    I don't share your cynicism about getting specifics. I suspect that there are pros using the Kemper that can provide them. Whether they show up in this thread is another matter :)

Some of the questions I've asked, like the Kemper settings to obtain a huge sound, don't require great technical acumen so I'm surprised they haven't been answered. I haven't looked at other modelers yet so Kemper and its users have a chance to put me in their camp but so far, I'm not convinced. Cabinet modeling is very sophisticated and it adds a huge level of complexity to the process of finding the right sound. You can't do it well without a strong technical foundation. I use an accurate amp and cabinet combo (powered speakers) and screw around with the input signal via multiple boxes. To the extent that I can't bend the input signal to match the cabinet resonances, the amp/cabinet models become more important in the process of finding the right sound. This is yet another reason to become familiar with the technical parameters of the Kemper.

• Kemper and its users have a chance to put me in their camp but so far, I'm not convinced.

I don't think anyone here is really that concerned about whether you buy a Kemper or not man. It's not like we get a share of the profits.
    If you want to buy one then cool. If not, I don't really care and I don't think others do either, why would they?
    You're kind of asking a lot, it takes a lot of time to go through every single delay and find the exact parameters for you to make you happy. And it sounds like this is only part 1 and there are many more parts to come.

If you're really curious, just buy one, and sell it if you aren't happy. Too easy.

• I don't think anyone here is really that concerned about whether you buy a Kemper or not man. It's not like we get a share of the profits.
    If you want to buy one then cool. If not, I don't really care and I don't think others do either, why would they?
    You're kind of asking a lot, it takes a lot of time to go through every single delay and find the exact parameters for you to make you happy. And it sounds like this is only part 1 and there are many more parts to come.

If you're really curious, just buy one, and sell it if you aren't happy. Too easy.

Actually a lot of members would probably like to help but for me, I don't own or never used the pedals your requesting comparisons on. It's like buying a car, test drive it, period. Everyone has an opinion but yours is the only one the matters. To many box stores have 30 day return policies not to try it out. Get it, try it, ask questions when your tweaking, if you don't like return it..... Nothing lost. Try another modeler. We're here to help, but your ears and tastes are your own. Good luck and all the best with your quest.

• Zapman
    You're missing the point of my questions. You don't need to drive someone else's car to know its horsepower rating, top speed and chassis configuration. The repeat function may be named differently but it still does the same thing; ditto for the other functions. I really don't see why getting the information I asked about has taken as long as it has. Why should you and others encourage me to go through the hassle of buying and returning when there is a pool of resources with first hand experience of the unit in question?

• I will present my individual pedals with its parameters and you will define the equivalent function on the Kemper.

I've noted the rather substantial manual and would like to avoid reading it if I can

that's not how this forum works.
    If you want to learn about a device, read the manual, but you'll get only so much information out of it without the device in front of you.
    After all what's most important is how the Profiler sounds - and this is where it excels.

But you can't seriously suggest that forum members do the work for you, while at the same time you can't be bothered with a little reading?

The Profiler's delays where updated a while ago and now are some of the most advanced, musical and simply awesome delay effects anywhere. There is a certain complexity, yes, but I suggest reading the Delay chapter of the manual to give you an idea.

Also refer to these delay demonstration videos https://www.kemper-amps.com/video
    (scroll down, click 'more')