Transpose semitones

• I actually find that LOTS of recordings donplay back exactly at A440. Mainly things from the 70s and 80s like AC(DC or even Steely Dan are typically close to 1/4 tone flat. Maybe the tuned flat but more likely the discrepancy crept in transfering between analog reel to reel tape machines.

I can’t personally see any need for a less than semi tone transpose for live use or studio use but can see the benefit of quickly retuning to a track for play along practice and transcribing parts. However, I avoid having to retune the guitar to each track by using a simple playback app with a tuning festure. I use Transcribe! By Seventh String which makes practice a breeze including tuning, slow down, loop section etc. For me something like that is much more useful and valuable than using the Kemper to retune to the track. Also, unless playing relatively loud the background dissonance from the acoustic noise of the strings along with the Kemper sound drives me mad.

• I think it is mostly down to Varispeed rather than any mechanical discrepancies. Tweaking the tempo to sit it 'in the pocket' (very likely with Steely Dan) as well as fixing dodgy tuning etc.
    Interesting thread here: http://repforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=15651.0

I’m not cnvinced re Steely Dan as whole albums are 19 cents flat :)

• actually find that LOTS of recordings donplay back exactly at A440. Mainly things from the 70s and 80s like AC(DC or even Steely Dan are typically close to 1/4 tone flat. Maybe the tuned flat but more likely the discrepancy crept in transfering between analog reel to reel tape machines.

I agree at home for rehearsal it is necessary to adopt tuning. Special with vintage songs

But I think it's better to use Riffstation (as I do), audacity or a DAW etc. I never would tune the guitar itself to a song.

For livesituation with a band I see no applikation yet, exept for example sometime half or whole tone below E to help the singer or get the special deeper sound for Hendrix..

Edited once, last by Sharry ().

• I agree at home for rehearsal it is necessary to adopt tuning. Special with vintage songs
    But I think it's better to use Riffstation (as I do), audacity or a DAW etc. I never would tune the guitar itself to a song.

For livesituation with a band I see no applikation yet, exept sometime half or whole tone below E to help the singer or get the special deeper sound for Hendrix..

I agree. That’s my point. I use Transcribe! Instead of Riff Station but its the same process.

• Thank you all. This is EXACTLY what I had intended. When I play with my band, it is always in standard tuning. As we are a classic rock cover band, there are several tunes we play which were recorded in not standard tunings. Jenny, Jenny by Tommy Tutone or Highway to Hell are other examples.

Practicing these at home in prep for band rehearsals is key for me ans I always play along with the original song. It’s a royal pain to figure out the “micro-detune”. This could be really handy for this ¼ step detunes.

Peace out,

JP (Pierre) Moatti

• I would suggest just using something with a tuning feature for playback rather than waiting for Kemper to implement this as an update.

I use Transcribe! https://www.seventhstring.com/

Others use Riff Station https://pro.riffstation.com/ or Amazing Slow Downer https://www.ronimusic.com/ etc.

These all achieve exactly what you need for very little money but also offer lots of other features that are amazingly helpful for practicing. Some are desktop only others are desktop ot phone/tablet.

• I use Capo, but it does not allow for music which has DRM protection. Does Riff Station allow for this?

Peace out,

JP (Pierre) Moatti

• Most of the songs that are tuned cents out are not on purpose.

Its usually due to people tuning to each other by ear - this was stated by Killing joke when asked why there tuning was not 440 or somewhere in the recording process...hence why its more common on older records. Very few people do it on purpose as a 1/4 tone is not real;ly enough to make something sound heavier or accommodate a singers range..

Personally to get round it I re-tune my guitar. You have to find the pitch anyway, so I do that on my guitar and learn the song, then play in the band to the closest..