Tuner solutions for live use

• When I'm performing, my role is typically lead singer / front man / guitarist. Because of this, I don't have the luxury of turning my back to the crowd between songs to use the tuner on the Kemper. I'm sure this isn't uncommon.

The thought that comes to mind is running a cable from the alt out to the Boss TU-3 tuner at my feet, which I could just leave engaged in tuning mode. That normally mutes the guitar but since it's not in the input signal chain (I won't be using pedals) that wouldn't matter. I'd just need to select a muted profile when I need to tune. I have a very simple Tech 21 Mongoose MIDI pedal with five buttons, which match the five in a performance. Unless I really needed five distinct sounds in a song, I could make the fifth slot in each a muted profile for consistency - far right hand button is always "mute."

That's a workable approach, but I'm always interested in hearing other solutions. How do you guys configure your tuners for gigs? Especially if you're the guy up front who has to dodge the occasional tequila bottle. :)

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• That's an immensely practical solution!

Given that I tend to jump, kick and spin like a Chihuahua on meth, I suspect TC would bill me for hazardous duty pay. :)

• It seems to me the simplest solution is to plug your guitar into the tuner, and the tuner into the KPA.

I'm also wireless (picture a frantic Chihuahua mummified in an overpowering tangle of guitar cables).

Of course, I could run wireless -> tuner -> input. The upside is that the tuner would then handle the mute functionality, the downside would be another 50 feet or so added to the input signal path. Life is ever the exercise in trade offs.

• My singer got so fed up with it that he got a guitar with an Evertune bridge. If you play outside, the temperature can just change leaving the guitar quite sharp. Alternatively, the clips are great these days and even work with background noise for me.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• Can you not run a tuner out of the direct out? Does engaging the tuner on the kemper mute it?

KPA Unpowered Rack, Kemper Remote, Headrush FRFR108s, BC Rich Mockingbird(s), and a nasty attitude.

• I owned a 70s Strat in the 80s and I swear the neck must have been made out of balsa wood. If you even looked at it wrong the pitch would shift.

Set up for an indoor gig in NY one winter, tuned up, did sound check, tuned again, went to dinner. Came back, kicked off the first song and the guitar was in perfect tune. Exactly one step sharp. Or flat. I forget, I've slept since then.

Of course, stupid me for not checking ("but geez, I tuned again before I put the guitar down!"), but I don't miss that guitar at all.

• The remote is overkill for my needs (PC only) so it's not worth the significant difference in price for this application. The Mongoose does PC same as the FCB1010, and I don't need controller pedals. While the remote has a built in tuner, I'm not sure how the Behringer brings anything new to the party in that regard, but I may have missed something.

Also, the Mongoose was chosen because it's tiny and the storage capacity of my car is limited.

• k- this is why I was asking if the direct out muted during tuning. If it does NOT - while the rest of the kemper still DOES, then the easy thing to do would be to put a tuner on the floor... one cable to it from the kemper direct out, then use a footswitch - even a wired one - to toggle the tuner feature or just mute the kemper.

That way, you're still (a) wireless, (b) it doesn't complicate your input path and (c) still gives you that tuning feature.

KPA Unpowered Rack, Kemper Remote, Headrush FRFR108s, BC Rich Mockingbird(s), and a nasty attitude.

• k- this is why I was asking if the direct out muted during tuning. If it does NOT - while the rest of the kemper still DOES, then the easy thing to do would be to put a tuner on the floor... one cable to it from the kemper direct out, then use a footswitch - even a wired one - to toggle the tuner feature or just mute the kemper.

That way, you're still (a) wireless, (b) it doesn't complicate your input path and (c) still gives you that tuning feature.

I somehow missed your previous post. That's similar to what I'm considering doing but I didn't know there was a footswitch that would toggle the tuner feature. And your thoughts about muting outputs is also worth knowing for sure. Time for more RTFM! :)

• Yeah - you can configure a footswitch to engage the tuner - a simple momentary (like the boss style) footswitch will do the trick. Get a dual and you can also configure tap tempo.

• Erm, why are you not using the remote or FCB1010 ? Solves all of this....did I miss something

TBH I had the Polytune Clip before I bought the Kemper/remote. And I should check again, but I think the last time I compared the two, my remote was a few cents flat.

• k- I just tried it. With my wireless plugged into the rear input, I took a line out from the direct out to my tuner pedal. Hitting the tuner on the kemper mutes the signal. So you'll need to use a volume/expression pedal instead and drop the output on the kemper if you want to mute the signal...

I didn't try the second way mind you, but just thought I'd chime in.

• The remote is overkill for my needs (PC only) so it's not worth the significant difference in price for this application. The Mongoose does PC same as the FCB1010, and I don't need controller pedals. While the remote has a built in tuner, I'm not sure how the Behringer brings anything new to the party in that regard, but I may have missed something.

Also, the Mongoose was chosen because it's tiny and the storage capacity of my car is limited.

Ahh OK.

The FCB1010 with the unochip displays the tuner hence why its different.

• I love the FCB but I think the tuner functionality is its weak spot. That display is just not designed for fast tuning.

Just checked and I am surprised that I cannot find a MIDI CC to mute the output of the Kemper. So what is the standard way of interrupting the output from a foot switch? Lock the X stomp configured for external pedal and not plugging anything in?

We have a Polytune pedal and love it but it may be too much wiring. The clip-on version mentioned earlier may be the simplest solution if you are wireless.