Getting realistic dynamic range

• I'm having trouble getting the Kemper to respond like a real amp. The dynamic range just isn't there. I profiled my fav amp, and the tone is close enough. However, when I start adding pedals it all falls apart. That's a big problem for me since I use a ton of pedals. I rely on a clean-ish AC30/6 and sever stages of gain pedals to achieve my tones. As you stack gain pedals the tone becomes brittle.

The Kemper feels like it has a huge amount of compression post amp. I realize that it's a digital box, and maybe I'm asking too much for response like an actual tube amp. I'm open to suggestions though!

• You might consider using a profile that specifically works well with pedals as opposed to one that is your normal amp. Your choice might also change depending on if you’re using the Kemper with a speaker cab or studio monitors. I’ve been surprised that some of the profiles I’ve passed on with monitors, sound great with a speaker cab.

These profiles go to 11!

• Have you tried profiling the original tone, pedals included? It's common that kemper gets confused if you're adding one distorting stage over another, in my experience, but it may still be worth trying.

Also, how are you comparing the source tone vs the profile? You may profile the source tone, then while in A/B kemper mode, kick in the pedals. Does the profile respond close enough to the pedals compared to the source tone in this scenario?

The bonanza

• You might consider using a profile that specifically works well with pedals as opposed to one that is your normal amp. Your choice might also change depending on if you’re using the Kemper with a speaker cab or studio monitors. I’ve been surprised that some of the profiles I’ve passed on with monitors, sound great with a speaker cab.

I have tested it with studio monitors, but I perform with IEM's.

• Have you tried profiling the original tone, pedals included? It's common that kemper gets confused if you're adding one distorting stage over another, in my experience, but it may still be worth trying.

Also, how are you comparing the source tone vs the profile? You may profile the source tone, then while in A/B kemper mode, kick in the pedals. Does the profile respond close enough to the pedals compared to the source tone in this scenario?

I don't want to profile the drive pedals because that's not how my Vox see my signal chain. My my delays and reverbs need to have the overdrives in front of them too.

• I don't want to profile the drive pedals because that's not how my Vox see my signal chain. My my delays and reverbs need to have the overdrives in front of them too.

Confused....You can profile your Vox without pedals and then with and switch between both ( and repeat for more options). The overdrives with be part of the profile and therefore in front of you delays and reverbs.

Also given the updates on delays and reverbs are now very flexible, I assume you are not using pedals for those..

If you are wedded to your pedals then I think you will remain compromised/miss out of the KPA's real advantages. At present you are just using it as a singular copy of the Vox.

Hope you get it resolved.

• I don't want to profile the drive pedals because that's not how my Vox see my signal chain. My my delays and reverbs need to have the overdrives in front of them too.

OK. But have you compared kemper profile vs amp all with the same monitoring, plus your effects?

The bonanza

• I don't think the Kemper is totally perfect (for example I sometimes think there is a bit of a cocked wah tone with high gain profiles) but lack of dynamics isn't something that I normally associate with my KPA. I find it behaves exactly like the real amp when using picking dynamics or rolling off the volume knob. Admittedly, I don't run any pedals with it at all so that might change it a little.

As others have said already, the volume at which you monitor will make a big difference to how you perceive dynamics. I now run IEM only on stage and love it but would agree with others that it isn't like having a real cab behind you.

With regards to your original question though, are you running physical pedals or the KPA stomp distortion effects? If old school pedals, are you running them in front of the KPA input or in the Loop? I would put them in the Distortion Loop rather than in front of the input.

• Turn your studio monitors up loud to get a similar feel to your amplifier. With them quiet, the dynamic range will appear to be compressed.

You use IEMs live? That is completely different than an amp onstage. Directly compare the sound of your miced amp through the IEMs to the KPA, and you will get a more appropriate comparison.

I have tried both of these. The Kemper is so close to the real thing before I use my pedalboard, but when I start adding pedals I get the differences.

• Thanks for the response. I don't use the Kemper for anything other than a an amp. I have several delays and reverbs that I have used for years. Some of which like the deluxe memory man are highly interactive with the AC30's preamp. I can't hear the same thing happening with the profiler.

• I don't think the Kemper is totally perfect (for example I sometimes think there is a bit of a cocked wah tone with high gain profiles) but lack of dynamics isn't something that I normally associate with my KPA. I find it behaves exactly like the real amp when using picking dynamics or rolling off the volume knob. Admittedly, I don't run any pedals with it at all so that might change it a little.

As others have said already, the volume at which you monitor will make a big difference to how you perceive dynamics. I now run IEM only on stage and love it but would agree with others that it isn't like having a real cab behind you.

With regards to your original question though, are you running physical pedals or the KPA stomp distortion effects? If old school pedals, are you running them in front of the KPA input or in the Loop? I would put them in the Distortion Loop rather than in front of the input.

I have an entire pedalboard going in front of the Kemper. Compressors overdrives distortions modulation delays & reverbs.

Interesting idea for going for a loop. Why would you try that?

• Because It’s specifically designed for taking pedals. Most things in the KPa try to equalise volume and therefore running keep sugnal quality and levels consistent. However, the Distortion Loop is designed to function like traditional amps/pedals in that it responds to gain staging the way stacking pedals would.

Also you can move the loop to any slot you want on a per rig basis. So if you only need to run an OD you can put it in Slot A and still have other Kemper FX after it. However, if you are running Reverb or delay or modulation effects on a particular song you can move the loop to after the Stack and have it running in stereo.

You can switch everything in the loop on and off with a songl button. So if you aren’t using a loop switcher like the PBC or G2 on your board you turn on/off all the pedal you are going to need in advance then engage them all with on click instead of tap dancing to try and get everything on and off at the right time.

• Thanks for the response. I don't use the Kemper for anything other than a an amp. I have several delays and reverbs that I have used for years. Some of which like the deluxe memory man are highly interactive with the AC30's preamp. I can't hear the same thing happening with the profiler.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I don;t understand why you have the KPA instead of an AC30 except for size and weight?
    It feels like you are still just using the same set up.

Whilst I think you will get it working, the true power for me from the KPA is:

To be able to access many amps/sounds

Eliminate most, and in my case, all pedals

Just feels like an over engineered answer, when you had the answer before which you are now trying to recreate.

Apologies, as I've said many times, I'm not a pedal guy and so I don't appreciate the dynamics here of stacking pedals and the unique sounds they bring so please take this in the spirit its meant :)

Is there something I'm missing from what you are after?

• I'd echo the above. If all you're using it for is as an amp you already own, you've basically bought a fleet of new Ferraris, but will only use one you already had.

The profile is *everything*. I've found largely the exact opposite to your experience. I chose a blackface-style amp and it loves my pedals. My delay, reverb and modulation pedals are on the block. Leaving only my beloved dirt pedals.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I'd echo the above. If all you're using it for is as an amp you already own, you've basically bought a fleet of new Ferraris, but will only use one you already had.

The profile is *everything*. I've found largely the exact opposite to your experience. I chose a blackface-style amp and it loves my pedals. My delay, reverb and modulation pedals are on the block. Leaving only my beloved dirt pedals.

Well, he's apparently comparing the source tone directly to the profile he made, how both respond to these pedals. Or do you mean that you profiled a blackface style amp and then compared to the profile as well in similar fashion?

The bonanza

• Also yes, it became super common pretty fast to use other people's profiles. It was part of kemper's plan to have a rig exchange. That said, kemper is still a device many use to profile their own gear, even using kemper exclusively or near exclusively for such a purpose. It then serves as a replacement for amps we already own, when so convenient, while profiles are tailored to particular uses.

I'm just not experienced enough with stacking pedals to know what's to blame in this case. Usually my own profiles respond quite similarly to pedals compared to the source amp tones. But I'm not stacking pedals in the described fashion, and it wouldn't be too surprising if this affects the profiles in ways I haven't experienced. Some audio A/B illustration could possibly help users offer more advice.

The bonanza