Compressor / sustainer

• do any of you use the compressor stomp to get extra sustain?

I use to use the tone press and I am struggling to get that extra sustain.

I am currently use the stomp compressor in slot 2.

Cheers

• Hm intuitively you would be hard pressed not to get extra sustain at aggressive settings?

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Depends on what the problem is you are having.

HIGH GAIN WITH GATE

I like to run a GEQ as the first stomp, followed by a noise gate. To kill as much noise as possible before the gate. Then you can run a softer gate and lower threshold sometimes.

Next you can run a compressor to try and counteract the expansion effect of the gate. For sustain you may get better results using the compressor in the AMP section since it will not color the tone.

You can also try to run some things with DUCKING enabled. I wish all distortions/stomps had ducking because that is what you really need. Stomps before the AMP can have large ducking values and after the amp lower ducking values. Ducking is reverse compression so it turns down the effect until your guitar gets quiet. So you can have a booster gradually come as your note is starting to die. You will want to adjust the MIX to a low value so it does not change your tone, just fades in some more signal later.

Ducking may actually be more useful before the gate (but after EQ) depending on your noise levels.

For long singing notes some verb with ducking can be your last resort.

• Hello All,

I came from tube amp to Kemper.

I play heavy rock with lots of gain, due to Strat single coil.

I used a pedalboard, on that pedal board I had the pedals below.

Noise Gate, Wah, Compressor/sustainer, Distortion, Tuner,Buffer, before the amp.

Then, Delay, Reverb, Boost/buff in the loop.

So that's what I tried to replicate with the Kemper Stomps.

So far I have been happy with everything except the sustain I get from the Compressor stomp.

It Compressors but I don't feel the extra sustain, it sort of dies then kicks in, like a little boost.

before I could hit a note and go in sustain easily with my amp, but I am still struggling to get that with the Kemper.

So if you know what I mean and know what can help please let me know?

Plus, I don't have a lot of stomps free, one downside to the Kemper.

I may have to add my Compressor/sustainer to my rig, but then I have to bring a power adaptor.

So far I have used the following stomps.

Gate, Wah, Comp, Dist, (Amp+EQ), EQ, Boost, Delay, Reverb.

I only kick in the gate on lead tones, so my sound doesn't get away from me.

Cheers.

• Obviously, you could get another guitar with humbuckers in it. Then you could do away with the noise gate pedal and probably the Compressor pedal.. You can try adding the soft Compressor post-amp in one of the effects slots for your single coil but be careful on how much you use especially if you have a Compressor or OD/Dist in the stomps section too.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• @everyone

You need to use the SQUISH setting on the stomp comp to get sustain correct?

Gezza

A treble boost before the amp with tone at 2.5, mix around 70% and ducking at around +1 to +2. Should add some extra push when a note is starting to fade. At least that worked good for me when I tested today.

Another thing is the AMP clarity setting. High settings seem to expand the sound a little so you get less hair on the distortion and may also reduce some sustain. Just trying to hit all the possibilities for you.

• So I did a little experiment.

I added my Barber Tone Press before the Kemper.

I tried to play at a loud volume.

Kemper compressor, the notes just fade and then right at the end a little boost, but if fades away.

Tone press just starts to sing on certain notes.

So I would expect the louder I get, the better it will sound.

I know sustain is not for everyone.

But if you build your tone around it, you depend on it on certain parts of a song.

Thanks I will try everyone suggestions.

But so far the real thing is the winner.

Plus, it now frees up a spot, downside I have to plug in a pedal.

You can't have it all, right.

Cheers.

• One of the first things that blew me away by the Kemper was how well it sustained and went into nice feedback when coaxed. I've always been amazed how it responds very dynamically yet has tons of sustain even on clean profiles. I love sustain too and couldn't be happier with the Kemper in that regard. I rarely need a compressor, the way the profiles are presented, never made me feel like they needed one. If I want a clean boost for a clean lead, I'll go for the pure booster that drives the front and gives it gobs of sustain while keeping the sound the same. Since It's before the amp, it pushes the amp into compression the perfect amount automatically. The one knob squeezer/booster!

Most of the time I am having trouble keeping a note going it's usually either my finger's fault or the guitar is fretting out there a teeny bit. If you usually play with your guitar volume on, sometimes you'll overlook some fretting out that will kill sustain. If I notice sustain is not happening, I'll go quiet and play, usually I'll hear the problem right away. I prefer low action when allowed and things can go from low to fretting out real fast with weather changes. Even the smallest amount can roast your sustain.

• I only use a compressor on a clean rig. This is exactly how I use a compressor in all of my guitar solutions. An overdriven tone is already compressed. I would never want to try to compress it more. That to me is a recipe for unwanted feedback and noise. This to me would have the same affect as using way too much gain.

• prefer low action when allowed and things can go from low to fretting out real fast with weather changes. Even the smallest amount can roast your sustain.

^ This

I mostly play my PRS SC this time of year because the low humidity kills the action on all my guitars. And the SE is the easiest to adjust

• A trick to add sustain for FR and Trem bridge guitars is to add more springs in back, but the real trick is to add more without making the whammy harder to move -- so, use old springs and loosen up some on the previously installed ones.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• OK,

After more testing at even louder volumes.

I find the add C/S adds a lot of noise that's hard to control.

Because it's before the Kemper, so the gate does little to stop the noise.

So after many hours of tweaking, I think it sounds best with no compressor at all.

So I have rehearsal next, I have saved all my settings with no compressor.

I will report back.

Cheers,

• Ditch the pre compressor, Check your profile quality, try a bit of clean boost pre amplifier when you solo & make sure you're frets aren't buzzing at all when you bend. Personally, I never add the pre boost on distortion profiles unless I am really wanting it touch sensitive like doing tap harmonics or harmonic dive bombs. Pretty much the same as when I would use an OD in front of a Marshall to really get it cookin.