A sugary sweet 80s style pop ballad covered with schmoo

• In the 90s I was a Steinberg beta tester for Cubase and this was before VST had come along. Then Steinberg releases the VST version of Cubase and my world hasn't been the same since.

With the first release they had a free VST synth called Neon and you could buy the LM-4 Drum Machine. When I got those I started writing this tune 30 some years ago. The Mac I used was considered powerful at the time but I could only get three drum samples, one bass note and one melody note at the same time.

I found this tune a few weeks ago and decided to redo it with modern VSTi and a modern powerful PC.

At the time a was totally into the slick and polished pop music from Los Angeles and that show in this tune.

This was a fun project and I hope you enjoy it.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Sounds Fab Mats_Nermark, love the guitar tone, which profile did you use?

Thanks Joe!

There are quite a few different guitars amp thingies in this tune. IIRC the medium gain melody sound is the Red Pig in AmpliTube 5. The lead sound is from S-Gear v3. The reason for using that software was that I was doing a review of them. I usually use the Kemper for those sounds as well with my profiles of either a modded Marshall or a Suhr Mike Landau Signature amp. The big clean sounds come from a profile of a superb Bludo-Tone High Plains Drifter (Dumble Steel String Singer clone) I made a few years back. Love that clean and that amp works very well for all kinds of guitars/pickups and does great OD as well. And it's the best amp for using morphing to go seamlessly from really clean to a really nice and warm or biting OD.

Here are a few sounds from the HPD.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Excellent playing and tone, the backing track is absolutely on point for that LA sound too. Great job!

• I agree with Per. Really sweat guitar tones. You got the Country mix and SRV done nicely. I would love to hear your version of the "woman" tone.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I agree with Per. Really sweat guitar tones. You got the Country mix and SRV done nicely. I would love to hear your version of the "woman" tone.

Hmm! I never really got into that part of Clapton. Can you give me a song I can listen to for reference?

Cheers,

Mats N

• All you need to know right here... I cut to the best part of the video but it is worth watching the whole thing. Just use an OD and then Fuzz and roll your tone pot down while using the neck pickup.

External Content youtu.be

External Content www.youtube.com

Edited 2 times, last by BayouTexan ().

• All you need to know right here... I cut to the best part of the video but it is worth watching the whole thing. Just use an OD and then Fuzz and roll your tone pot down while using the neck pickup.

External Content youtu.be

External Content www.youtube.com

Very educational. Thank you!

You mention both OD and fuzz but in the video he goes straight into the Marshall. It seems like I will have to check stuff out.

Cheers,

Mats N

• I used a clean Plexi profile and the OD and Fuzz. I had read somewhere that's the Fuzz is a big part of that kind of tone. But, yes, experiment. I'd rather hear your version than try and copy n paste Clapton's tone.