Kemper Stage for live use

• :)I am very new to Kemper amps from Tubeville but I know good sound when I hear it. I feel confident in the sound I get at rehearsal,Main outs XLR to Mackie profx3 to JBL PRX 1000 watt 12” PA. Yes , more than enough for my tiny gigs but I wanted to hear from users with more Kemper experience . To cab up or not to cab up ,that is the question. For a 150 max occupancy gig , no in ears, are you comfortable with no stage reference? Must you have some ? Either guitar speaker or additional PA monitor or FRFR etc? For a small gig does anyone prefer just going through mains? Thanks to ranks here , I know some of you Kemper Jedi have some info.

• Unless I'm in a room the size of a walk in closet.....I'd want something pointing at me, with mostly me in it.

Otherwise you're at the mercy of the room mix.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I just set up with an am (Kemper) onstage through a cab just like I have been doing happily for 40 years with some in the wedges if on a big stage. It would be suicide to rely on mains only.

• :)I am very new to Kemper amps from Tubeville but I know good sound when I hear it. I feel confident in the sound I get at rehearsal,Main outs XLR to Mackie profx3 to JBL PRX 1000 watt 12” PA. Yes , more than enough for my tiny gigs but I wanted to hear from users with more Kemper experience . To cab up or not to cab up ,that is the question. For a 150 max occupancy gig , no in ears, are you comfortable with no stage reference? Must you have some ? Either guitar speaker or additional PA monitor or FRFR etc? For a small gig does anyone prefer just going through mains? Thanks to ranks here , I know some of you Kemper Jedi have some info.

I never rely on the mains regardless of the size of venue, although ironically my in ears failed at one gig and I did have to rely on it...not the best experience!

Just treat your Kemper like a regular amp but you don't have to mess around with mikes in front of the cab...so you have a loads of options:

1) PA monitors speakers - in other words the same solution as the singer

2) Regular guitar cab - but you will need a power amp

3) Kemper Powered Kabinet - in my mind the best solution!

• You can throw a mic in front of your cab just like post Shea Stadium. I know of Kemper users that (gasp) don't "go direct" but mike their cabs like "always" with great results. Their Kemper is simply their tube amp. Sometimes on battle of the band type gigs, stages where they are turning bands around fast they just have a mic up there to stuff in front of whoever cab is up next. I was doing a fast turnaround gig once unfortunately with an inexperienced soundman and he freaked out on the Kemper line signal coming to him. ( I don't think he knew how to set the board from mic to line) And since everyone was pushing for time and drum mix and monitors were taking priority, A mic was placed on my monitoring cab. It all went OK. The people there that knew us didn't notice anything was off and all had a great time.

• You can throw a mic in front of your cab just like post Shea Stadium. I know of Kemper users that (gasp) don't "go direct" but mike their cabs like "always" with great results. Their Kemper is simply their tube amp. Sometimes on battle of the band type gigs, stages where they are turning bands around fast they just have a mic up there to stuff in front of whoever cab is up next. I was doing a fast turnaround gig once unfortunately with an inexperienced soundman and he freaked out on the Kemper line signal coming to him. ( I don't think he knew how to set the board from mic to line) And since everyone was pushing for time and drum mix and monitors were taking priority, A mic was placed on my monitoring cab. It all went OK. The people there that knew us didn't notice anything was off and all had a great time.

I've also done this at festivals but to me its sub par becuase the guitar cabs smooth everything out. So it sounds Ok but not at its best IMO.

• I had a gig once where I couldn't hear my sound - I found I played the guitar harder and then quickly had the energy and excitement to play zapped, it was not enjoyable or fun and I still don't know how it sounded to the audience.

You're going to want and need something, especially if you're by the drummer. Whether it's a cab, in-ears, a wedge, etc. - get something to monitor your sound.

• I'm with the crowd on this one.

You need something to hear what you are doing. The drums alone will crush most of the PA signal being reflected back onto the stage. Additionally, there are times when the guitar part is back in the mix. It would be nearly impossible to hear yourself from the FOH even if you were standing in front of the FOH speakers clear from the other on-stage noise sources.