Ducking Parameter for Delay

• I have never needed to use the ducking parameter much and tend to leave it at 0 or very slightly above 0. However, I was messing around just now and thought I would try and get better acquainted with it. According to the manual a positive value should suppress the delays while playing hard but allow them to return when I stop playing. Thereby give the actual notes a little more space and avoiding muddiness. This does seem to be the case :thumbup:

However, the manual also implies that by using a negative value the delays should be louder and stronger when I play hard. This doesn't happen at all. The further to the left I turn the Ducking knob the more the delays just disappear. This doesn't seem right to me. I was wondering if others have found the same behaviour and whether this is actually intentional (if so what uses do you have for it) or a bug.

• Haven't noticed this particular issue. And I rarely use ducking. I did notice a while back that all the ducking I'll ever need was present from 0.1 to 0.2. So something did at least appear fishy to me earlier.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• If I'm using delay there's usually some ducking applied to keep the main signal more distinct, but I also have never explored the dark side of ducking. It would be cool to hear what it was intended for.

• .1 to .2 is all I tend to use. Just enough to give the original note some room.

Never really messed with negative settings. Will have to investigate.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Positive values can let soft playing of things like chords have delay but when you dig into the strings for a solo it gets drier and more in your face.

Thank Paul. I know that but I can’t get my head round the negative values. They don’t seem to behave as i would expect from either logic or the description in the manual.

• It has already been mentioned that Ducking > 0 makes the dry sound more prominent and leaves the silent passages filled with the effect. And yes, normally you play at +0.3 max. But why not offering a wider scale?

Ducking < 0 ducks the effect while you don't play. This might be the challenge in combination with delay effects: You play a note and a second later, when the delay arrives, you don't play anymore and consequently duck the delay. So to hear any delay effect your signal needs to constantly stay above the threshold. This is how this bi-polar parameter works across the board. If there is a practical application for this in a delay effect ... I don't know.

• It has already been mentioned that Ducking > 0 makes the dry sound more prominent and leaves the silent passages filled with the effect. And yes, normally you play at +0.3 max. But why not offering a wider scale?

Ducking < 0 ducks the effect while you don't play. This might be the challenge in combination with delay effects: You play a note and a second later, when the delay arrives, you don't play anymore and consequently duck the delay. So to hear any delay effect your signal needs to constantly stay above the threshold. This is how this bi-polar parameter works across the board. If there is a practical application for this in a delay effect ... I don't know.

Thanks for the answer. Would like a bit more resolution in the usable range. That's all.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Have you tested it recently? The progression of that parameter had been improved in OS 8.1 - without changing former sounds.

Actually no I haven't. But will for sure. Thanks B.

• I think I need an illustrated drawing on what ducking is. :/

It's pretty simple. A positive value means the delay/reverb won't activate until you stop playing. The delay 'ducks' out of the way and allows the original note room to sound.

Negative means the delay will function while you play, but shuts off (almost like a gate, but only for the effect) when you stop.

• I use a lot the ducking on Delay, Trem and Rotary for Solo parts, so I get the guitar more upfront while keeping the same feel of the Song. I normally just morph up the Parameter (together with a light boost on volume or gain/mids

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

• It's pretty simple. A positive value means the delay/reverb won't activate until you stop playing. The delay 'ducks' out of the way and allows the original note room to sound.

Negative means the delay will function while you play, but shuts off (almost like a gate, but only for the effect) when you stop.

So ducking setting at 0 means the delay functions while you play "and" does not shut off --- which will have delay tails (repeats) go right into the next note if you have moderate feedback setting?? I've never used ducking before and have used the feedback to set the number of repeats. I'm wondering when you would use ducking in rock and metal.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Everywhere.

One of the the (legendary) TC 2290 delay’s claims to fame is its ducking function.

The 2290 can be found in tons of Rock and Metal.