what kind of PU do you use?

• I've got EMG's on all my guitars. Usually an 81 at the bridge, SA in middle position and either 85 or 60 at the neck. On my guitars with two humbuckers I use an 81 and a HA (single coil in humbucker format) as I find this give me more options.

Got a Fernandes revolver elite with sustainer and an EMG 81... if you haven't tried a sustainer you need to, hours of fun !

• Bareknuckle Alnico Nailbomb Bridge + Coldsweat Neck - Schecter C-1 Custom
    Bareknuckle Black Dog Set - Skervesen Raptor 6
    Bareknuckle Miracle Man Set - Ibanez Rg1527
    Bareknuckle Holy Diver Bridge + Emerald Neck - Schecter Custom Shop 7
    EMG 707s - Schecter C-7 Hellraiser

Clean and Distortion sense vary for each guitar aswell as for each profile. I find for hi-gain sounds turning down the clean sense and turning up the distortion sense gives you a clean/tight tone but with a nice saturation that fattens up nicely without getting muddy.
    I usually try around 2.5 Clean Sense dialing it back if I want to clear up unwanted noise/mud. I have distortion sense around -1.8 to -2.8 depending on the amount of gain in the profile. A fixed setting for each guitar just doesn't work for me.

I'm still getting the basics of the unit but the Input Sense parameters are the most important parts in shaping your tone IMO.

• In my new Strat I installed three EMG SAX. And they are gorgeous! Ok, they can sound a bit "sterile" but that is just because they are so incredibly sensitive and versatile. You can do a lot of expression and tone with your hands. They make me practice new ways of touching the strings. (The Kinman Impersonators didn't stand the test of time. Too much capping.)

Clean Sense 6, Distortion Sense 0

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• Questions to those of you with higher output than vintage single coil pickups:

One "non-stock" profile that is very popular is the Marshall Golub Crunch. The soundclips for it were done with vintage-style strats. My Strat Plus and my Clapton sounded darker, with much more gain (still sounded really good, though). I lowered the pickups on my Strat Plus quite a bit, and the sound in the clip was suddenly there. Now, that guitar sounds great with the Fender amps in the stock profiles, with no editing.

Could I have adjusted the Clean and Distortion sense (Mine are still at Clean = 5, Distortion = 0), instead of the pickups? Suggested settings to try?

Have you needed to adjust Clean and Distortion Sense to get sweet open strat sounds from the Stock profiles? Or have you adjusted the gain, EQ, cabinet, etc. on each profile to get it?

• I am using all of them , except active pickups .

1988 Branko Radulovic Hand Made Strat in Macedonia (SFRJ)

2006 Steve Vai vwh moded with SS frets and Sustainac 2006 (Japan)

2008 Fender YJM , moded (USA)

2010 Tom Andersons Drop Top 2010 (made in California)

2017 Charvel GG sig Caramelised Ash (USA)

2022 Gibson ES 335 2011 Custom Shop Cherry of course ( Memphis)

• Paults: why you don't just reduce the gain, adjust eq and save the Rig as "Golub Crunch Strat Plus". Different guitar=different rig, you would do the same with an amp as well...

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Paults: why you don't just reduce the gain, adjust eq and save the Rig as "Golub Crunch Strat Plus". Different guitar=different rig, you would do the same with an amp as well...

Thanks - that's pretty much what I have been doing with Rigs since I got the Kemper last month. I've been tweaking them, one at a time. But, it occurred to me it would be preferable to find a way to already be relatively close to the sounds I've been hearing on Youtube and Soundcloud when I load a Rig.

I've been revisiting the "Kemper of the Senses" understanding thread again (Yeah, I know it isn't really called that, but I like the sound if that title). I've even re-read that section of the manual :D

I'll play with the Distortion Sense some more (I don't think I've tried it at less than Zero), as well as the Clean Sense. Saving some Input settings is preferable to adjusting the pickups on all my guitars. That way, they'll still sound right with my other amps, too.

• I almost always set Dist. Sense at <0.0> so I'll just post my Clean Sense settings below:
    DiMarzio PAF Pro: 2.5 - 3.0
    DiMarzio FRED: 5.0
    DiMarzio Area T (neck) and Area Hot T (bridge): 5.0 - 6.0
    DiMarzio Area 67 (neck), Area 67 (middle) and Virtual Solo (bridge): 6.0 - 7.5

Yes, I like DiMarzio pickups :p

• Fender Strat
    (Gilmour PUPs)

Neck: Fender Custom Shop Fat 50;
    Middle Custom Shop 69,
    Bridge Seymour Duncon SSL 5

I have lowered the pickups considerably in contradition to what Fender suggests for the Gilmour-PUP combination and now the Clean Sens is at 4.8; the Distortion Sens at 0.0.

Edited 2 times, last by joerch ().

• Les Paul:
    Throbak SLE 101+
    Those are actually low output PUs but they have a real punchy attack and their transients clip many clean profiles. So I reduce clean sense to around 2 when using that fiddle for clean. Those PUs even clip the input of some of my analog pedals, so that is not a KPA problem ;)

Strat:
    Stauffer true vintage (actually those are Häussels custom made for a luthier who builts the Stauffer guitars)
    I use clean sense on the default value when using the Strat.

Tele:
    Van Zandt true vintage. They were originally old ones wound by the man himself. When the bridge PU died I replace it with a current production van Zandt and it doesn't sound like an old one anymore unfortunately.
    I use clean sense at default either with this fiddle.

• Klein's are already on my shortlist whenever I built another strat. I'm not sure about the model though. Are the Jazzy cats vintage sounding and if so more like 50s twang or 60s dirt?