Posts by Tritium

Thanks Hal, but I've looked in the Basic and Reference Manuals and don't see any mention of Performance mode or any other kind of mode operation. Page 114 in the Reference Manual is all about hardware.

As you guys have already determined, there is a paucity of information related to "Performance Mode". However, with that said, "Performance Mode" is mean't to be used and exploited with a floor pedal. Either the Kemper Remote, or the The Behringer FCB1010 with UnO Chip
    http://www.ossandust.be/index.php

The main difference between the Browse mode, and the Performance mode, is that in Performance Mode, you can select five "Rigs" which are immediately stored in the KPA's RAM memory, for instant access and switching.

There is a tiny bit of info in the dedicated manual for the Kemper Remote Quick Start Guide:
    http://www.kemper-amps.com/pag…mplifier___Downloads.html

Finally, you may find this Blog page interesting, which explains how you can change the KPA Remote's display screen to better reflect what Rig (amps and effects) you currently have engaged, and info. on the 4 other Rigs that are part of the bank:
    http://amaudioprofiles.com/blo…play-on-the-kemper-remote

http://amaudioprofiles.com/blo…play-on-the-kemper-remote
    Not a lot of info, I realize. But, hopefully it helps somewhat, Stringtheorist.

Cheers,
    John

Man, this has got to be one of the most fun, most engaging threads in the history of guitar gear & equipment user forums.

Kudos to Tim Owens for coming up the the "Have Amp, Will Profile" concept, and the wonderful Kemper community participation that has resulted.

Heck, I even love Tim's creative title, and the historical turn of phrase. For me, it immediately conjured up memories of Robert Heinlein's classic science fiction novel "Have Spacesuit, Will Travel"...which itself was a riff on the title of the famous 1950s television Western, "Have Gun, Will Travel".

Fantastic, Tim. Thank you so much, as always. You are completely spoiling us. :thumbup: I can't wait to try these out tomorrow.

Cheers,
    John

I'm interested in DI profiles and would buy these ones but I'd like to know if the cab was attached to the amp when doing the DI profiles as the amp reacts in a different way without a cab.

Understood, thank you for the reply, Pacocito.

I sent a PM to TopJimi (Jimi71) asking him to check back into this thread, and provide us all clarification on this issue.

Cheers,
    John

We've got a '69 Marshall Super Bass and a '64 Fender 6G6-B Bassman impatiently waiting to be profiled. We'll get those done soon!

-Jimi

Hi Jimi, sounds great. Looking forward to your next Profile Pack release.

However, the question has been asked twice, now, with no response. Would you kindly advise if the subject Direct profiles, in which you used your own DI set-up to get a Line level signal back to the KPA Return Input -- did you have a pass-through / bypass so that you also had the speaker cabinet hooked up to the amp at the same time you where making the Direct profile?

If the answer is no...do you plan on using an appropriate DI box on future Direct Profiles, so that you will be able to have the reference amp connected to the reference cabinet, to ensure the Direct profile captures the Amp <==> Cabinet interactions.

Thanks in advance for your feedback on this matter.

Cheers,
    John

In reading through the complete thread, I noted that the first profiling sessions in which Tim had upgraded to 3.0 Firmware, begins with Phase 21. Not sure if this is meaningful, or relevant, but I just thought I would point this out, for whomever might be interested.

Tim, if you happen to read this, please correct me if I am wrong. In other words, beginning with Phase 21 and up, your profiles have been based on Firmware 3.xx

Cheers,
    John

Every amp I've profiled ends up with more gain than the actual amp. The kemper is basically an amp and you are going into another amp. It's adding something on top. We still get good results but it changes the way the amp sounds.

I hadn't heard this, skyhighrocks. However, I haven't made any of my own profiles, so I couldn't comment on this matter.

Cheers,
    John

Enjoying these but hoping there are actual profiling tutorials...especially direct and merged as I'm still not sold on them yet. Also, the fact the kemper is adding gain to amps when profiling is still requiring a workaround.

Huh?? Maybe I have misunderstood your post, Skyhighrocks. What do you mean by your statement, which I put in bold text?

The OP is actually right. The manual is inaccurate by saying the cabinet stays authentic when brought into another studio profile. While the said is true, it is to be mentioned that the amp portion of the studio profile will not be authentic. It will stay authentic as well, if the cabinet is brought to a direct amp profile or a merged profile.

We will add this to the manual. Thank you.

OP here,

Wow, I didn't expect a confirmation from the Man, himself. :thumbup:

Thanks for your feedback, Christoph!

Cheers,
    John

I'm surprised noone has yet mentioned the "space"parameter that is most probably ON when hearing through the headphones. If that is the case, then comparing the speaker out to the main out may be a loosing battle as ,you know, the space effect makes the sound sort of..."dual tracked" which in most cases will seem to sound better.

TheBox, that is another good point and something Sugarlou can check out. I am not at my Kemper at the moment, and I would have assumed that the Space effect parameter would be "off" by default...requiring a conscious decision to enable it. But in any case, something to look into.

Cheers,
    John

Hi Michael,

We are absolutely in agreement, with everything you have spelled out, point-by-point...except, and right up until you reach the final step, that I have bolded, for emphasis. By the way, please make no mistake, you may be absolutely right, and the KPA is able to do your final step (bolded) without implementing the CabDriver algorithm. Heck, you are probably right. However, that crucial final step, I cannot understand happening without a very special-purpose computational algorithm, FFT-based approximation (CabDriver) employed upon the target Studio Profile.

Here is my thinking...

Regardless of what Firmware the Studio Profile was saved with...a Studio Profile takes a snapshot of the entire system (amp + cabinet). During this profiling process, I cannot see how the KPA could actively "tag" or discriminate specific data points of this homogeneous signal -- that is, it's associated frequency-response A/D modulated samples, as applying to only the amp portion or only the cab portion of the very same signal. After all, that is the whole purpose of the CabDriver approximation algorithm; to do this discrimination, through a creative, intelligent approximation algorithm.

My thinking is that the new Firmware doesn't change this fundamental issue. In other words, If you make a Studio profile, even with the new Firmware, the KPA is still analyzing a homogeneous, undifferentiated full-system signal (amp + cab), which it uses to construct the profile . Even with the new Firmware, a Studio Profile still requires the CabDriver algorithm to make a creative, approximate separation between amp and cabinet. That is to say, the KPA is not able to actively filter, separate and assign data samples which are tagged "this is only from the amp" and an other "this is only from the cab". In a Studio profile, the data samples are all combined into a single, universal Set X. It is still the CabDriver algorithm that makes intelligent, but approximate/optimized choices, and partitions samples into pairwise disjoint Subsets Y (I think I am a data sample exclusively from the Amp) and Subset Z (I think I am a data sample exclusively from the Cab). The beauty of the CabDriver algorithm, in actual implementation, is to turn the provisional "I think", into a convincing Cartesian "therefore I am". By all measures, it does a very esteemable job of this.

Obviously, this is entirely different when there is a separate data file made during a specific amp's Direct Profiling process. In the Direct Profile process (with intention to create a combined MERGED profile) you first make the Direct profile, and then, with no changes to set-up, you immediately make a full Studio Profile. Then, I can understand how the KPA can perform an almost point-by-point extraction process of the Direct profile (amp X) from the corresponding Studio profile (amp X + cab). However, that is not what we are talking about, here...I think. What stumps me, is that last step, where you are taking a perfectly separated Cab data file that comes from the Merged Profile, and try to combine it with an arbitrary Studio profile. How he heck does the KPA know what corresponding data points to use in the discrimination and subtraction process. Sure, everything is theoretically known, bit by bit, in the Cab data taken from the Merged profile. However, given an arbitrary Studio profile how is the KPA able to determine which data point is part amp portion of the over-all Studio profile, and which data point is part of the cab portion of the over-all Studio profile, without using a CabDriver approximation? In other words, if it doesn't first accurately separate (on a point-by-point) basis, that portion of the original target Studio signal applicable only to it's cab...there is no way (even given perfect knowledge of a the Cab data from the incoming Merged profile), it can accurately, and without approximations, subtract away the contributions of the cabinet that already exists in the target Studio profile.

Ah heck, I have had a few too many pints of Ballast Point Sculpin IPA...so I am probably not thinking clearly while I have been typing this out. I probably have made a complete mess of my thought process. Actually, I am pretty certain I have. :P

In any case, I like and very much appreciate your explanation, Michael. I definitely can envision that you might have the right answer on this matter. I will look at this with fresh eyes (and brain) tomorrow.

Cheers, mate.
    John

It is hard to say which session produced the best profiles, so much depends on your own personal taste, your guitar, your style of music, etc. Along the way we received so many fantastic suggestions which really resulted in a bunch of great profiles that covered a lot of different sonic ground. I'm sure that each person would have there own personal favorites, but I can say that for me personally I'm leaning towards the HAWP-4 session profiles, they just seem to fit my guitar (Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat) and my style of music, I'm hoping to expand on that session with some more profiles at different gain settings and of course with Direct Amp profiles so people can import their favorite cabs or merge the studio version cabs.

I'd be interested to hear which session other people prefer.

Thanks for the feedback, Tim. I have been impressed with everything, so far, so my original request was more of an appeal for someone to help me filter through the vast library. Again, it can't be said enough...thank you so much for all your work, effort and willingness to share with the Kemper community, of which I am just a newbie member.

I will definitely take a closer listen to the HAWP-4 sessions. Also, as a new Kemper Power Rack owner, I must say I am personally excited about any new Direct Profiles that you are able to make.

Cheers,
    John

I have a Tweedy Drive combo with a celestion heritage 12. But again I'm not trying to recreate the amp. I own it already. I'm more concerned with getting the cab sound closer to the headphone tones. There's a snap and sizzle to them that neither cab recreates. I'm surprised no one has said to try a DI profile till now. I'll admit I'm more than slightly confused by what merged means and why I would even want the cab to be profiled if I'm already using a cab. In the case of a DI profile I'm assuming I'd use the Bogner /EVM

Hi Sugarlou,

Indeed, that is what you will want to try. That is, making a Direct Profile of your Redplate Tweedy Drive. The only potential complication is that it is a combo, and on many combos, the poweramp output is hardwired to the speaker in the combo. That will make it a bit more challenging to make a Direct profile. However, I just looked on the Redplate site and pulled up the Tweedy Drive User Manual. It looks like you are in business! It looks as if the back panel of the Tweedy Drive has a physical jack connection between it's poweramp output and the speaker, which would be the one labeled "MAIN". During a Direct Profiling process (and you will want to carefully read the Kemper manual called "Kemper Profiling Guide"), you will unplug the cable from the "Main" jack to the internal speaker. Here is where the DI box comes in. You need an appropriate DI box which has both a Line Out as well as a Speaker Bypass / Thru Output. You connect a SPEAKER cable between the back of your RedPlate's MAIN jack to the input of the DI box's Speaker Input. From the DI box's outputs, you use another SPEAKER cable to connect the DI box's Speaker Bypass / Thru Output back to the Redplate's MAIN jack. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY IMPORTANT, as you cannot run your Redplate without having it connected to the appropriate speaker (load). The DI Box's LINE OUT is connected back to the KPA's RETURN input. On the front end, you simply connect your guitar to the KPA's Input, and connect the KPA's DIRECT OUTPUT/SEND to the front input of your Redplate. Voila -- begin the profiling process. Now, since you have made a Direct Profile, you don't necessarily have to also make a Studio Profile of your same set-up, which involves the mic'ing of your combo.

However, to answer your question as to what this whole Direct -vs- Studio -vs- Merged Profiles business is about, allow me to continue.

Technically, this is what a MERGED Profile is. It consists of first making a Direct Profile (no cabinet tone is incorporated into the signal process), which completely separates the amp profile from any tone contribution of a cabinet. Then, without changing anything on the front controls of your amp, you immediately make a normal Studio profile, by physically mic'ing the amp/cab system. Then, you have one Direct profile and one Studio profile of the exact same amp settings. Finally, you do the MERGE process, which combines them together. The difference, here, is that with a Merged Profile, the KPA can now easily and accurately separate the amp profile from the cabinet profile. The benefit of this, is that the KPA does not need to use it's CabDriver algorithm to calculate and make an optimized approximation of how to separate the amp section from the cabinet section. This occurs on all Studio profiles (which are the vast majority of the KPA profile population), when you disable the "Cab" section. The CabDriver algorithm works very, very well, and is entirely satisfactory for most cases. However, with new Direct Profiling and the Merge capability, the Kemper now has the capability to give you the actual raw amp profile, separate from any cabinet contribution, in which no approximations are made. It is 100% accurate.

To bring this all back to where it may benefit and apply to your case...you don't need to worry about capturing the cabinet section of your Redplate. You can simply make a Direct profile of your Redplate on your KPA, and use that with your physical 1x12 Bogner cab and separate SS power amplifier. OR, you can COPY the Cabinet section from any pre-existing Merged profile (49 are available in the new Factory firmware), and then pull up the Direct profile of your Redplate. You will now see an option to MERGE this copied Cabinet with the Direct Profile of your Redplate. This allows you to now use your KPA with your Atomic CLR, and with a little effort and work, duplicate the sound of your Tweedy Drive combo using your KPA / CLR rig. Again, I recognize this is not your ultimate goal...but I am using this as an example to best explain differences between the Direct -- Studio -- Merged profiles, and how these capabilities can be applied and used to advantage, by any KPA user.

Reading the paragraph from the manual, I'm guessing that the cabdriver algo does not come into the picture because the cab is applied basically as an impulse response. Not much of a guess, just a paraphrasing, hehe...

But the cabdriver is only relevant to studio profiles, where it is used to determine ... something... about the dividing line... hmm....

Hi Michael,

I did of course read your entire post, but just quoted the first part. I may have misunderstood your thought process, so correct me if I am mistaken...

However, my central argument is the following:

It is understood that the new profiling process allows the amp profile and the cab profile to be accurately and completely separated from a Merged Profile. In which case, it is accurate to copy and take the Cab information from any Merged profile, and combine it with a Direct profiled amp.

However, if you were to do the same, and combine it with the amp section of a Studio profile, then the CabDriver algorithm must somehow come into play. The reason is that the CabDriver algorithm is the only way to subtract the exisitng "cabinet" section of a Studio Profile. Otherwise, one would be copying a Cab profile (or impulse response) on top of another Cab profile that is already embedded and intrinsic to the Studio Profile. I hope I am making sense.

Cheers,
    John

Sugarlou, I actually had started writing this post before reading your most recent reply, in which you explained that your goal wasn't necessarily to replicate your Redplate amp. So, this particular post may not be relevant for you...but since I already wrote it, I thought I would post it here, anyway. I am hoping And44 might be able to reply with his thoughts, as his KPA profiling knowledge and experience is most welcome and appreciated.

----------------------

Well you cant really compare the real redplate amp, with the Kemper + CLR. - your hearing the source amp versus the recorded source amp, tonally they will sound very different

If however you miced the amp the same way as the profile.. then listend to both, the test would be more accurate.. better still, mic the amp yourself then profile it the way you like it.

Redplate amps are amazing btw. - and they can be troubslsome to replicate as redplate are forever changing (inconsistencies).

Hi Andy,

I am not familiar with RedPlate Amps, although I have certainly heard of them and their excellent reputation. So, if he were to profile his Redplate, wouldn't it be ideal for him to first make a Direct Profile, and then make a Studio Profile to catch the Redplate's cab. Then, he can Merge them. If Sugarlou has a Redplate combo (rather than head + cab), perhaps it has a Speaker Out connection from chassis to the combo's speaker.

Yes, he will need to get an appropriate DI box, but once he has that, then he has the following advantages...

He will have captured an accurate representation of the Redplate's amp section, including the impedance influence and interactions between the Redplate's amp's and OT with cab, but without the cabinet tone contribution in the Direct profile. Once Merged, he know has fantastic flexibility in working with his KPA + CLR combination. If the Redplate's cabinet does not "work" or play well with the CLR, then Sugarlou can accurately remove it from the profile, and audition any number of other types of cabinets (from Merged profiles) with his CLR. From the growing population of discrete cabinet profiles, there is bound to be at least one that stands out and just "gets it on" with his CLR. I mean, it could be his original Redplate's speaker cab (I assume it is a combo), but at least with making a Direct + Studio Profile followed by Merging, he has the ability to accurately separate the original cab and then mix and match.

Even better -- he may not even have to worry about mic'ing his Redplate and making a Studio Profile. I notice that the newest factory Merged Profile Pack (included in latest Firmware) includes a couple of Merged profiles made by you (TAF), of a RedPlate CDS3. That model is a 1x12 combo with a Celestion V30 speaker. Again, not sure what specific Redplate model Sugarlou has, but if involves a 1x12 with a Celestion V30 --> BOOM! :D He may be in business. The more challenging task of making a decent Studio profile, with all the intricate mic'ing considerations that are involved, might be completely eliminated.

I'm not trying to replicate the Redplate per se. Just trying to get closer to what I'm hearing in the cans. There's qualities there that are missing through either cab. I haven't placed an EQ altering devices in the stomp slots and frankly I don't know what the x slot means but I'm reading this at work. The KPA isn't in front of me. I'll look into it after work.

Hi Sugarlou,

The "X" slot is one of the "free" effects slot in the 4-effect blocks after the Stack section (post-amp). The other three are constrained, because the Mod slot only allows Modulation effects, and of course the Delay and Reverb slots only allow those effects. However, with the "X" slot, you are free to choose any stomp effect, including EQs. The difference being, of course, that this effect slot will be after the amp section, so that EQ effects will have a different influence on your tone than if the same effect is placed before the amp / stack section, in the A through D Stomp slots.

Cheers,
    John

Further to all the excellent replies and advice already provided, I would offer the following...which is more of a change of mind-set and perspective than anything else. In fact, it may sound trivial, but could make a profound influence on how you approach your KPA in relation to playing through either a FRFR or guitar cab.

Instead of trying to get your KPA live set-up to sound like whatever tone you are hearing when listening through headphones, focus on getting your KPA live set-up to sound like, equivalent to, or at the same satisfaction level, as when you are playing live through your Redplate amp. You got to flip this sucker around. ;)

This may take some time and tweaking with your KPA plus CLR combination, and/or KPA plus Bogner 1x12 combination. You probably shouldn't expect to have it ready for tomorrow's gig, even if you had started working on this earlier today. As has already been mentioned, if your goal / intention is to use your KPA live, then never audition profiles and program a rig, intended for this purpose, through headphones. Any favorite rigs that you have created that you enjoy through your headphones, you should rename on your KPA by adding some character or text to indicate it has been specifically tailored and approved (by you) for headphone playing.

This will differentiate the headphone-based rigs from all your other rigs, and especially the rigs you create to work successfully (I have no doubt) for live playing. As has already been mentioned, when you are developing favorite Rigs for use in live playing scenarios, you should do this at near or equivalent volume levels you will be using at gig.

Even in that case, you might want to save new rigs with names that identify them as working best with your either your FRFR-based CLR, or your traditional Bogner 1x12 guitar cab. In which case, you will probably have Cabinets enabled on your CLR-specific profiles, and disabled on your Bogner cab-specific profiles.

Good luck, sugarlou. I am confident you will be able to construct tones on your KPA that you will be proud to use live, and even impress your tube-purist gig buddy. :thumbup:

I agree with you, Tritium.

An accurate separation can only happen if a direct amp profile was subtracted from a studio profile.

And like you said putting an accurate cab from a merged profile onto a non merged studio profile would still use cabdriver for separating the cab from the non merged profile.
    In this regard the manual could be a bist misleading when read the wrong way. I read it a bot differently bist I definitely see what you mean.

Thank you, Ingolf. I needed a second pair of eyes on this, and I am glad that you are able to confirm that what I had written is, in fact, correct and accurate.

Cheers,
    John