Posts by sorefingers

Yeah, definitely feels very good and I'd rate only the profiler higher than the Mustang in this regard.

Bold statement, I know, but yes, I'm very fond of the Mustang series.

Ingolf,

Is there a definitive yes or no answer on whether the v2 Mustang iii works as well as the v1 Mustang iii?
    I read that the effect loop placement in the chain was different on the v2, but also read that a "looper mode" on the v2 loop return would work.

Thanks

Has anyone used the relatively new Roland GA-212?

Roland GA-212

I could care less about their amp modeling, but I wonder if this might be an interesting FRFR cab for my Kemper.

It has two 12" speakers, two effects loops, and has two line ins, which they say can be used to connect external gear. The line inputs bypass any of the Roland processing and hit the power amp then the cab.

The retail on these was initially $1,500, but can be had for around $500 now.

They are listed at 200w, which is overkill for me, but it sounds intriguing.

[Blocked Image: http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k282/mofungo/ScreenShot2013-12-07at91336PM.png]

Wow! What a great review. I have read a lot about the Atomic wedges, but your review is light years ahead of anything else I've seen.

I am just a hobby guitar and bass player. I currently use two Yamaha HS80m studio monitors with the matching subwoofer to play in my home studio.

I've been lusting after an Atomic powered wedge for some time. If I am not playing live and don't have any plans to do so, based upon your extensive experience with the Atomic, is there any benefit to switching from my current setup?

This is an old thread, but you really do need to use closed headphones or turn your amp/monitors up to cover the original, non-transposed sound of the strings ringing.

I had the same problem with a James Tyler Variax guitar that has a knob to change tunings on the fly. It will drive you nuts hearing the original tuning chiming in with the transposed output.

Thanks for all of the tips. There really is a lot to dig in to in the pitch effects on the KPA.

After using them since the beta, I'm finally ready to part with my beloved POG2. From doing a lot of A/B testing between the POG and the Kemper pitch effects, I really do think the Kemper effects have a more natural tone for harmonic guitar effects, and the way-out stuff is great as well. The POG is great, but everything usually still has a bit of that organ-like undertone.

Great review. Probably worth it for the Eventide and Strymon alone. Zoom has really come out with a lot of great stuff over the last year. I think I'm going to try this to fill in the few gaps on my KPA. I only wish it had a plug for an expression pedal.

I have the B3 bass unit, and it is really surprising for how little it costs.

So I think that there is a disease called "Speaker Overload". It involves driving yourself insane testing, retesting and then imagining that the differences you hear are real and valid.

Life used to be so easy, buy a guitar, buy an amp, plug it in and play.

Amen, Brother. I've basically gotten to the point where I force myself to quit chasing the dragon, looking for that one more pice of gear, or a new Kemper profile.

I read an interview with Tom Morello several years ago, and he talked about spending hours tweaking knobs on his guitar and Marshall amp, and he finally just marked the knobs with a sharpie. He decided to leave the knobs where they were, and just wring every ounce he could out of that setting. I've been trying to do the same with my Kemper lately. I try to land on a profile I like, tweak it a few minutes, then just play that profile for a week when I practice.

Same thing with my monitors. I've got two Yamaha HS8 monitors with the matching sub, and a pair of Sennheisers for headphone monitoring. Could I get better monitors? Absolutely, but where does it end?

I have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP interface, as seen here:

Saffire Pro 24 DSP

I read on another forum (I think the Gear Page or Gearslutz) that when using the S/PDIF out on the KPA into the S/PDIF in on the Focusrite interface, you bypass the preamps and D/A converters on the interface.

What I'd like to know is if this is the case, what does this mean in a practical sense sound quality wise? Is it just that the Focusrite is passing the digital signal of the Kemper straight through to my DAW? Am I better off using the analog signal flow from the Kemper to my interface?

I'm very new to interfaces on the level of the Focusrite and DAWs, so any tips from the more experienced Kemper users, especially Fully Grown Male Individuals™, on their preferred signal flow would be welcome.

I'm not looking to take over from Alan Parsons or anything, but if there's a better way between the two types of connections sonically, then I'm interested.

Thanks

I might have done the buy and return years ago, but I'd feel too guilty these days given the state of the economy. Most towns have a rental company or maybe a small studio that rents amps, so that's an option if you really feel the creative need to make your own profiles.

Honestly though, there are so many great profiles available of amps that I'm never going to see even in a Guitar Center or anywhere else in my lifetime, that I don't see the need of me ever profiling an amp myself. I have pretty good ears, but I will never profile an amp like And44 and some of the other famous profilers on this forum, so why bother? As far as profiling an amp to my liking with different tweaks, the commercial amp profiles And44 does have several different variations that cover any knob twiddling I would do anyway.

As an analogy, I love good coffee, but I see no need for me to grow my own beans, harvest them, and roast them when there's a Starbucks every 200 feet. If you hate Starbucks, then insert your own preferred brand in its place. ^^

The only real amp I still own after having my Kemper for several months is my trusty Fender Champ, and that's mostly for sentimental reasons.

I know you're kidding, but I'm sure there will be a market for vintage sound cards one day. :D

I don't know why going from the line out of the Kemper to the line in on your sound card is causing so much latency. If you want to use a mic input and a guitar input at the same time, then I would get a new sound card or audio interface, probably with an s/pdif in for the Kemper.

You may be able to track down the problem, but in my experience you're probably better off trying a different interface or sound card rather than spending days troubleshooting. See if you can borrow an external usb or firewire interface from a friend. This way, if the latency is still there, you will know it's not your sound card. I doubt it's the Kemper that's causing such extreme latency.

I have a Focusrite Saffire 24 also (the DSP version), and highly recommend it as long as you have a firewire bus on your hackintosh. One great thing about the Focusrite is that you can use it as a stand alone mixer with the included power supply.

Good luck!

Actually I'm using a lot the Evil Robot profiles for some new fusion-ish stuff I'm doing. On the Backing tracks from Mats sounds glorious!

That Evil Robot is one of my favorites. Very versatile. Post some clips!

And44 is the profiling Terminator.

"Listen, and understand. That And44 is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop profiling amps, ever, until you are dead."

[Blocked Image: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-RNuenyhm3uw/ToHh_5khyrI/AAAAAAAAAS8/TKnxi_E4el0/s1600/terminator%2Bguitar.jpg]