Posts by Wheresthedug

Dr Z. started making his own because the public ones were not representative of his product. A lot of what is out there lives in this arena.

For me that is a poor example as the DrZ official pack is one of the least inspiring pack I have ever purchased. There are plenty of great profiles of DrZ amps but for me personally none of them are in the official pack.

The market is completely oversaturated.

No argument from me here ? unfortunately a lot of the rubbish os from commercial profilers who would be able to implement DRM signed profiles in the proposed closed ecosystem. I still can’t see any argument to add DRM to the KPA.

then a bunch of people on thegearpage are equally wrong. It doesn’t matter how many of them say it the facts don’t change. The main output is line level regardless of whether it is XLR balanced or TS unbalanced. The difference in output from +22dBu XLR to +16dBu TS is 6db which is the difference between any balanced and unbalanced signal.

you should be aware that thegearpage is full of people who haven’t a clue what they are talking about but like to talk anyway. As James Brown would say “talking loud and saying nothing “ ?

@V9guitar, a green scream is not an overdrive, that is a tub screamer I would assume and I would bet money without ever looking at it thats what it is because that' s what makes sense. No the kemper does not have something that does an overdrive sound like a blues breaker, king of tone, klon, timmy or any other real overdirve.

yes the Green Scream is a Tube Screamer which is an overdrive (pretty much the first OD). The Timmy, Blues Breaker etc are really just TS derivatives to a certain degree. The new Kemper Drive is a generic flexible OD with presets to simulate TS, Timmy, Klon, Precision Drive etc

How are you connecting it to your interface? As I learned it's not good to use a guitar cable. You need a XLR to line cable in order to bypass your devices gain stage. Also the 'space' option in the mic output can be turned off or not just set to 'space mic only'.

it is fine to use an instrument cable. The problem os when you use an XLR as this can’t bypass the interface’s mic preamp.

the space on/off refers to the Kemper outputs not the mic. The manual explains it better than I can though.

“Space

The “Space” parameter adds a small room simulation to the master signal. This makes listening through headphones far more enjoyable.

A brief explanation: whenever you listen to a sound coming from loudspeakers, you are also hearing the reflections from the floor, the walls and objects around you. Even when you listen to a mono signal, these additional reflections will still result in a stereo image once they reach your ears. There is only one common situation where no natural reflections happen, and that is when you listen through headphones; as your ears are, biologically speaking, not suited to this, it can quickly lead to listener fatigue. This effect is called “in-the-head localization” and becomes particularly noticeable when you listen to a mono signal.

By using the Space effect, you can add virtual reflections, to create a sense of room and natural space. A mono signal will be converted to a subtle stereo image, which should be far more pleasing to your ears. Even though this effect is designed for headphones, you may also find it appropriate for listening through regular speakers, or for recording. By selecting the option “Space>HeadphOnly”, you can select whether it is applied to the HEADPHONE output only, or to the MAIN OUTPUT as well.

You can also apply the Space effect to individual Rigs, rather than activating it globally in the Output Section. In this case, simply use the TYPE knob to select it in either the X or MOD effect.

The Space effect is also very useful for improving the sound of in-ear monitors on stage. Unfortunately, in most situations, both stage-monitoring and FOH are derived from the MAIN OUTPUT - as a result, the effect will appear on the main PA as well. As long as you use Space at a suitably low Intensity setting, it will not be noticeable on the PA sound, but will still create a reasonable effect on your in-ear monitors. Needless to say, the monitor signal must be supplied in stereo for Space to have the desired effect.”

Commercial sellers are a nice by-product that never was planned or totally needed for the success of the Profiler. Today every u-tube comedian owning a Kemper Profiler for days (!) wants to sell profiles and make money :D

amen ?

And I think CK never had the goal to rule the world with the Profiler or make the company bigger, just for the sake of growth. He knows for sure what can happen in the market. I am pretty sure Kemper will have an answer. But maybe not, what some expect.

agreed, I am sure it will be very interesting to see what his next revolutionary idea will be ?

the main difference is likely to be that the Kemper headphone out has the Space feature enabled but when you send a signal to your interface and listen through its headphone out you are hearing the signal without Space added. Try going into the output menu of the KPA and enabling the space feature on the main output then compare the two signals again.

Start by assessing whether the volume differences apply to all types of profiles or only between clean and overdriven rigs. If you need to balance the level between different clean rigs or different dirty rigs then use the rig volume or amp volume and resave. However, is all clean rigs are too loud or too quiet relative to all dirty rigs then don’t touch the volumes. Instead, raise or lower clean sense in the input menu. This will act as a global balance. Raising clean sense will make all clean rigs louder relative to dirty rigs. Lowering clean sense will have the opposite effect.

I still totally fail to see how partnering with amp makers is a benefit to anyone except the amp makers.

I have now doubt that a new kick will eventually come to town and will be a big step forward in tech terms. And you are probably also correct that it won’t be too far down the line either. However, I totally fail to see why being a DRM limited closed ecosystem will be perceived as a benefit. As far as I can see it is just a limitation and an inconvenient annoyance.

the genius of the Kemper is its simplicity, ability to perform amazing sound production with minimal processing power all in an amp like box and user interface.

Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if Kemper already know that a new kid in town will eventually take their market and, rather than trying to evolve the profiler CK just decides to make a totally different product to solve a totally different problem as evolving a Profiler MKii is just too boring for him. He already has form in that respect given the Access Virus synth.

Short answer; you could be right, you could be wrong I really don’t know enough about what goes on under the hood to know if it is technically possible but it seems unlike.

long answer: as ckemper and Burkhard are fond of saying “what problem would it solve?” The difficulty I would foresee is how to morph between two amp blocks that need to occupy the same slot simultaneously in order to morph smoothly between them. I don’t believe this is currently possible with the hardware (but who knows except the developers). Therefore, if you can’t morph the amp blocks all that would be possible would be to morph between the FX in each rig. However, in the vast majority of cases I would think that could be achieved with the current morph features within the same rig slot.

Am I missing something? Or is that bear going to be heading my way ?

Wonder what is so "special design" about a tube screamer that Kempers don't like? I know Klons and Timmys get profiled.

i believe its the amount of clean signal that remains below the distortion portion. However, that should also be the case with other TS style clipping circuits.

i have always wondered about the KPA can’t profile multiple gain stages thing. It has often been assumed that it referred to amps which distort both the preamp AND power amp. However, i suspect it might be another “lost n the translation” copywriting issue which actually refers to simultaneous signal paths where clean and distorted run in parallel (like a TS). I wonder if ckemper or Burkhard could throw some light on this for us?

No one seems to be arguing for upgrades to stop, though. You're more than willing to accept the inconvenience because of everything amazing that you get out of the product. So it's not a reason it's an excuse.

i don’t see that as a valid comparison

it is possible to opt out of upgrades by simply not installing them however DRM would be embedded in the system and the rigs and therefore affect everyone using the KPA.

sambrox as Robert Cray said - “give me an hour alone in a bank, tell me a boat full of lawyers just sank......” or the old joke “what do you call a ship full of lawyers at the bottom of the sea? A good start!” Jokes are funny because there is always some truth in them. Litigation typically benefits lawyers more than anyone else.

I predict that morphing between rigs will come.

i predict it won’t ?

seriously though, it don’t think it is possible with the current hardware as it would presumably need the ability to have both slots (therefore two rigs) loaded simultaneously. If the hardware was capable of that there would be nothing to stop dual amp rigs either.

I think the rig X fade only goes up to something like 10ms though. I can't remember the exact number but I seem to recall trying it a long while back a d it wasn't long enough to achieve a noticeable morph.