Posts by MrPond

Any news on this request? I would also love to see ...

• the possibility to store loops (selectable, also via remote)
    • configurable position (my current looper is at the end of the fx loop to record everything, including effects)

Exactly how did you compare the amp and the resulting Profile?

After making the Direct Amp Profile, plugged the amp from the cab and plugged the Kemper to the cab.

Something to consider, Niklas:

Sharing clips might help in that there may be clues in the difference/s between the source and Profiled result as to what's going on. I re-read your previous two threads on the matter and no clips were offered, hence this suggestion.

I'm comparing the sound with my ears - like i said, for me, the amp in the room sound is crucial.
    I'm not comparing Studio Profiles or miked DA rofiles - i'm comparing the profile to the amp on same volume on the same cab with the same equipment (same guitar, same pickup, ...). And - they sounded different. Similar, but not identical.

To the last answer regarding FRFR speakers: This not not how i want to achieve my guitar sound.
    I want (or with other words, i'm expecting) that the Kemper should respond similar to a cab compared to an amp.
    Obviously this is not the case. But due to many reasons (sharing backline, using existing equipment, ...) i just need the Kemper working with a standard guitar cab. I know - cabs are sounding different which is totally fine - so, i'm referencing the DA profile only with my cab to compare it with my real amps.

I'm not "requesting" that much ... i don't need Studio Profiles, i don't need uncountable profiles - i just want my favorite amps (yes, my amps - not other versions or models, just my personal amps ...) available in a Kemper, straight hooked up to my prefered guitar cab (which is a standard Orange PPC412). And while i was testing the Kemper, i was not capable of doing this. Again, similar sound, but not identical (tweaked EQs, of course cab sim off, tweaked parameters in the amp section, ...). So, that's the reason why i asked again if some optimization happened in the meantime ...

Greetings,
    Niklas

BTW, FWIW I've found a slight boost in the lows of .5 and then the mids a boost of about 1.5 and a boost in the highs of about .5 - 1.0 to be pretty much spot on for a V30 4x12. YMMV depending on the manufacter. I do play metal and hard rock so I understand somewhat of what you're saying. Look in the Rig Exchange for my Uberschall Merged profiles. Try those using your powerhead straight into your cab. I use this setup live all the time and the tone is spot on to what I actually get from my Uberschall with my 4x12. If you find that you're missing something with your cab then EQ the output to adjust to taste. Use your ears.

So you are playing through you amp's poweramp and not the digital poweramp of the Kemper?
    I always heard not to do this, because "the poweramp colors the tone and the digital poweramp recreates a more neutral sound".

Greetings,
    Niklas

Thanks for your feedback, glad to hear something.

Whether you are creating a DI or a Merged profile, when you remove the tube power amp with the original cab out of the equation then of course you're going to get a difference.

I thought (and i think the manual also stated it) that the Direct Amp Profile recreates "everything" the amp "outputs". With this in mind, the cab should respond like i'm connecting an amp to it. To EQ the profile to get an identical result compared to the amp would mean, that i'm very limited to one specific cab, because i would EQ the profile to match my cab - that EQ could act differently when hooked up to other cabs. Of course different cabs are sounding different, but it sounds that profiles are reacting differently to guitar cabs. But yes, good to know. I tried to EQ but nothing really hit my reference amp. But maybe i need another round to try more a harder dialed in EQ.

Well, I can tell you now that I am getting great results on my bridge pickup but the profiled tone on the neck pickup is nowhere near the same. If I spend time trying to refine with the neck pickup selected, the bridge pickup sound is then nowhere near the same.

Super good point, i had the same. The profile "worked" with the bridge PU on my SG Standard, but on the neck PU, the profile was really ... nothing like my amp. So, refining the profile on different pickups is maybe a good step in the right direction. If i have the possibility to try one of the KPA's again, i'll try it out. Good point.

Well, I've seen your previous posts, and I've seen that the very knowledgeable DonPetersen got back to you, but obviously nothing came of it.

Yeah, that's right - kind of forgot to get back to the forum to say that i tried it (and it didn't work out) - sorry for my missing answer, that's on me! I was really in a bad mood - i was going to to spent nearly 2.5k in new equipment to go full digital, and it didn't work out how i hoped ... so yeah ..

I'm not saying you’re wrong, but clearly your assessment is wrong. (Note the difference).

You should work with support (or should've worked with support in the first place, when your initial problem remained unsolved).

I tried everything the community suggested at the time - and nothing worked out how i hoped.
    So may standpoint was to hope that some day Kemper will hit the 100% in the profiling process.
    To hear that this is maybe not happening because the profiling process is "done" is really hard to swallow.
    I can't comment how the new tips are working out (if i have the possibility to try it out another time i would do it), but again (as a software developer by myself btw) to say that a specific software part is "done" and not requires any (!) additional work or future optimization is super hard to get and irritating. We'll see what the future brings.

Thanks for all the input.
    Niklas

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

It has been well documented that the profiling algorithm was great from the get go, and despite a little flaw considering the low-end which was rectified a long time ago nothing has changed nor has there been a need to.

Sad to hear that there is "no need to" - pretty disappointing, because you are saying (in other words) that i am wrong and they (the DAP's) sound identical. That is not the case. Like i said: They sound similar, but definitly not identical. The manual kind of promised me an identical profile, and that was not possibly. So ... that's it by Kemper? The software (profiling algo) is done? Forever? Literally "no need" to work on it? .. Tough cookie if i'm being honest.

For the record: I tried the offical community here to get feedback: Direct Amp Profile is not hitting the 100% and Kemper DI profile sounds different when saved

I hoped that Kemper worked on it, obviously not. That there is no plan not only to work on effects is hard ... I now that studio profiles are sounding good and very similar, but again - i need the classic amp-in-the-room setting. I returned the Kemper after my tests, so i'm not right now in the position to make other tests.

@deadpan: Interesting to hear ... i used the official Kemper DI Box.
    @Wheresthedug: Me and my band mates were capable of telling the differences. I dont have a problem when "different" is better. But the Direct Amp Profiles were really inferior (just like i wrote one year ago, the tone had less "flesh", missing low-mids, ...)
    @Dimi84: Thanks for taking your time!

Hey!

I tested the Kemper exactly one year ago very intensively - my main goal was to replicate my amps with the "amp in the room experience" (powered Kemper with my existent guitar cabinets). For that, i used the Direct Amp profile guide and of course the Kemper DI box to make DA profiles of my beloved amps.

The result was ... ok. They profiles were ok, but sadly not more then that. The sound was not similar and definitly not a 100% replication (especially in the low mids, and when playing palm mutes). I had a few talks through some FB groups and tried everything to solve it (tweaking the EQs and options), but nothing worked to satisfy me (i have very good localities to test my sounds)

I'm still interested in going full digital and leave my heavy and big pedalboard at home - but the regular "amp on guitar cab, amp in the room rehearsal/gig" setting is also still required (not on the table for any discussions).

SO! My question: Was anything done in the last year to the profiling algorithm? Is it better? Is it similar? Is anything planned to get "almost" the 100%? Or is it "done", almost anybody is happy and "that's it"? ... I'm not THAT picky when it comes to sound, but my results were really inferior compared to my amps - and that was not my goal ... :)

Cheers :thumbup:
    Niklas

Just my two cents: Switching between the profile and reference does not work while making Direct Amp profiles! I first thought the same (the profile sounds similar compared to real amp) - but that's (sadly) not the case. You have to re'wire' your setup to listen to your Direct Amp profile:

Manual, page 237

"The recommended refining procedure, which comes after the automated part of the process, is a bit of a shot-in-thedark, as you will continue to hear your reference amp through the physical guitar cabinet only ... [...]"

That was the reason why i returned the Kemper. My goal was to make an identical 1:1 clone of my lovely JCM800. Because i play (mainly) through real cabs, that was really important to me. But i was not able to make an 1:1 copy of the amp (i used the Kemper DI Box) - it was very close, but not similar. When Kemper can achieve 100% (instead of ... 90%), they have my money :)

Hey boys and girls!

Yesterday i started serious profiling (Direct Amp Profiles) and sadly i was not truly 100% convinced ... my main profile was almost the same, but not 100%.
    The profile missed something in the bass response/feeling. It's almost identical, but the (bass) response is a little bit different compared to the amp.
    The tone has not quite the same "flesh", the bass is almost "more" compared to my JCM800, but not as "thick" as the amp's one.
    I changed a few settings in the amp and EQ block, but yeah, i didn't get the 100%.

Any ideas to improve the profiling process? Or, what can i do? ... (KPA powered rack, Kemper DI, good cables, played very long and different tones in the refining process)

// Niklas

Hallo!

Ich habe gesucht, konnte aber nichts passendes finden, und grabe daher hier diesen Thread wieder raus ... und zwar weiß ich nicht, wie ich meinen Kemper direkt an meine HS8 anschließen kann.
    Laut Manual gehen die Main Outs entweder an die DAW oder an den FOH, der Monitor Out an aktive Monitore (ich habe die Powered Rack Variante).
    Die HS8 sind ja aktiv, aber ... ganz doof: Ich habe ja zwei Monitor. Also: XLR R und L einfach direkt an die HS8?

Es geht darum etwas zu testen, weil ich mit den Pegeln am UR12 Interface nicht zufrieden bin (Clipped sehr sehr früh, muss bis -20 und mehr am Kemper runter gehen, dementsprechend kommt in Logic nicht so viel an, was ich wenig kompenieren kann), und wenigstens (bis ich ergründet habe, wieso) bis dahin an meinen HS8 spielen kann :)

Vielen Dank!
    Niklas