Posts by Chris Duncan

You can use the Kemper cabs with an external solid state power amp.

Kemper provided a powered profiler not only for convenience but also so that they could offer something that met their standards for quality in representing the profiler's sound.

Another interesting product possibility would be for them to release a Kemper power amp, essentially what's already in the powered versions, as a stand alone unit. That would let unpowered Kemper owners use something like the upcoming passive Kemper cabs with a power amp that matched the Kemper specs.

Kinda surprised they haven't done that already. Perhaps there's not sufficient demand.

So... it CAN be used with a non powered Kemper with an outboard amp

I also like the fact that they're talking about a future active version, which speaks to the needs of existing non-powered owners.

That means the feature will work with an existing powered FRFR IMHO.

That seems like a sensible conclusion. While there's no way to "guarantee" the tone unless they control the signal from amp to final speaker output, I'm guessing that any good quality FRFR will be "close enough for rock and roll."

You jazz guys are on your own. :)

Saw this Twitter post from Monday (emphasis mine):

If you are at NAMM don‘t miss to drop by at the Kemper booth #3720. We have some cabinets for the PROFILER with us and we are looking for your feedback. More about them soon!

My impression is that the goal for Winter NAMM is just to set up some buzz for product announcements more likely to come at Summer NAMM.

The fact that they're showing cabinets but (wisely) soliciting feedback on them indicates a product still under development. In a similar fashion, releasing a shaky-cam iPhone video that just happens to brush past the highly sought after editor is obviously geared towards stirring the pot.

This is a common tactic in the software biz (often known as vaporware), a preemptive strike on the competition by saying, "Don't spend your money with other people - we have a better product coming just around the corner!" Because if they can keep you from committing your money to the competition today, there's a better chance that they can get it from you tomorrow. If you lock yourself into a different ecosystem, that becomes harder.

In general, this sort of warfare based on non-existent products (meaning you can't buy now and no guarantee that it'll ever actually release) does more harm than good because it gradually wears away the credibility of the company. It's either all promises, no action or (worse) rushing poor quality crap out the door to try to deliver something before it's ready, just to beat the competition to market. In the software biz, I've lived through a lot of this.

That said, in Kemper's case I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

They've supported their hardware for way longer than most companies and are still delivering (free) new functionality. They don't play the obsolescence game. One of the reasons I don't use Pro Tools is the planned obsolescence of hardware. Want the cool new software version? Sorry, gotta buy the expensive, cool new hardware (oh, and good luck getting pennies on the dollar for your old stuff that we've now made obsolete). Kemper is more serious than most tech companies about not rushing releases out the door, preferring instead to take their time and get it right.

So, bad iPhone videos of editors? New cabinets and technologies in the works? Yawn. :sleeping:

The Kemper I have today is already awesome. At some point in the future, when they're solid and ready to rock, these products will be finished and ready for release. I'm saving up all my excitement for then. Conservation of energy and all that, you know. ^^

If I use the power rack (600 watts) to power the cab should I be concerned about blowing the speakers.

I have the powered head, and I ran it into a Marshall 1960a 4x12 (V30s) and also a single sealed V30 cab. Had volume average around 105db, with peaks of between 110 - 115. Speakers were never in any danger at this level. Like you, I saw 600 watts and wondered the same thing, but I believe the point to that much power is to have plenty of headroom. After all, there's only one speaker output, so unless you're looking to have a Marty McFly speaker experience I doubt you're going to be running louder than you would with a tube amp.

I only monitored it with headphones and most of the sounds( I even got the M.Britt AC30 pack) have a screechyness to the high end(yes cab was on) almost unbearable and not enjoyable. Is that just the headphones or am I missing a setting somewhere. All of the profile s seemed to have that same quality.

I've never monitored it through the headphones, only the L/R mains and the monitor or speaker out. I know you can set the source of the sound for all those other outputs, I'm not sure if you can do the same for headphone source as well (not near my unit at the moment). If you can, you might want to verify that you've got it set to main out, either mono or stereo as you prefer. I have all of the M. Britt stuff and haven't noticed any screechiness, including via IEMs, so I'm hoping it's just a configuration thing for you. That said, screechy is in the ear of the beholder, so I can't say for certain that what sounds good to me would sound good to you.

Has anyone come across an AC30 profile that is of the normal channel cranked with cut.

There were 13,000 profiles on Rig Manager last I looked. I haven't used any of them (other than the legendary Morgan) because I'm still getting warm and fuzzy with the commercial stuff I bought, but it might be worth doing some tag searches to see what you find. I find the "sort by gain" feature to be particularly helpful.

This is an unusually friendly and helpful place as Internet forums go, so I'm sure a lot of more experienced voices will chime in to help you.

7 years of stupid turning knobs and clicking buttons .... nothing but poor.

Those of use who came up recording stuff to tape with analogue gear tend to twitch when using the modern DAW. We love what a DAW does, but trying to mix with a mouse is often tedious beyond belief compared to "just grab the fader / knob and move it."

So, an industry was formed around hardware interfaces for software products, often based on the venerable HUI and MCU protocols that drive countless products from Mackie, Avid and a host of others. We've spent a ton of money on gear to give us a more tactile way of controlling our software. The DAW doesn't include it. We have to pay extra.

Then along comes this Kemper thingie, a software based guitar amp emulation gizmo that includes (at no extra charge!) a solid and well built hardware controller.

Human nature being what it is, it's only natural that people then complain that they can't mix with a mouse! ^^

An enjoyable podcast conversation with HW from ToneJunkie and Michael Britt from, well, M. Britt.

They don't discuss the profile packs they have for sale, it's just two very nice, down to earth guys talking guitars, tone and all things Kemper.

And chicken. Apparently chicken is an important consideration.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

(Mods: I hope I'm putting this in the appropriate place, if not let me know and I'll adjust accordingly)

I don't know if this is a specific solution but perhaps the concept that might be of use...

In the days leading up to the Kemper I had a Vox combo and because the Vette has very limited storage space, my full sized Pedaltrain wouldn't fit with guitars and everything else added. (I now have a toaster and DXR-10 so that cat is sufficiently skinned).

What I ended up doing was getting two Pedaltrain Nano + boards. In the soft case, it's not much bigger than a loaf of bread. I put my Voodoo Labs power, wireless and a pedal or two on one. The second was all pedals. I left the power cables plugged into the Voodo. To set up, I just laid them out one in front of the other, plugged the power cables into the pedals, and had a very small and concise pedal board that took little load space and could even be stuffed into two smaller spaces.

I love the Pedaltrain stuff. If none of their standard options fit the bill for you, maybe this modular approach would work. It's an extra step or two during setup but really only adds one or two minutes.

Of course, you might also want to try the new reverb beta and see if you still feel the need for the Big Sky and Timeline. That's another way to skin the cat.

I wonder how the pros that use it in live situations deal with the latency.

It's been my observation that people have different levels of sensitivity to it. It completely screws with me, but other guys apparently just have some kind of predictive logic wired into their brains and go on their merry way without missing a beat.

Welcome - used to own all kinds of POD's as well - great tools in the days - but nothing compares to the Kemper :)

I heartily second that! I went through a number of Line 6 stuff but never could warm up to it. Part of it was the "not quite there yet" sound, which gets better with each new product, but a large part of it was really down to modeler versus profiler.

With modelers I had to spend a lot of time in software fiddling with tones, which I don't enjoy. With a profiler I leave all that to more talented people, pick a profile and just play guitar. :)

Yes mate good points, but to me a beta is a pre-release of an intended official release, to sort out bugs. CK said the verbs were cooked and was waiting for the preset management which is not part of this beta, I think that’s the part that bugs me a little, but it’s not the end of the world for me. I suppose I’m just impatient. ??

Ah, so you're just itching to get the rest of the toys! This much I understand. ^^