Posts by Kahuna59

OK, enough of these PRS beauty queens. Here's my workhorse ugly duckling. I picked it up years ago at a thrift store fairly cheap. A high mileage Red label Yamaha FG-180. Great guitar but , shall we say "well loved". When I saw the wear and the "natural" fretboard scalloping I knew it couldn't develop so many scars unless it was used a lot, and that usually implies a great sound. It is a fine sounding acoustic. Also, I do love natural distressing way more than the fake stuff. Can almost smell the tobacco and beer.

Wow! Thanks for the video. Your sustain should be measured with a calendar.

And if you ever need to intimidate a drummer, that's the rig!

Very impressive toy room. Love it.

I litterally bought it for the same amount as i earned on the gig so it was a kind of “why not” situation.

Nice business model. I'd try that too but at the end of the year I'd only end up with a couple of Squires, some Sweetwater candy and a t-shirt. :)

So, Dumble was known to bury his secret sauce amp mod components in a glob of black epoxy-like material to keep anyone from copying. I'm wondering what would happen to the amps value if any of those hidden components failed. Most are still working amps, not museum pieces just for looking at. I think the best you could do is return it to a functioning Fender again and that might cause significant depreciation. Just pondering for fun. I would definitely want a robust profile!

I can understand if it's an investment appreciation play or if you have a few $B and just want to hold it and look at it. But the reality is it's just a guitar. The legendary sounds that came out of Greenie, Blackie, Brownie, Stevie, Red Special, Black Beauty, Lucielle, etc. had most to do with the magic in hands that were playing it. To my ears Greenie sounds different when played by Peter than how it sounds when played by Gary Moore. If I played any of them, they would sound like me, ugh.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Wow, I just flashback'd to 1972. Is glitterboy actually playing that guitar or just dancing with it? Good tune.

Wow, that's sooner than expected. We didn't even have time to marinade in our normal when-will-it-be-released complaint cycle. Good job Kemper!

Welcome Woody. I think you'll find the Forum nearly as valuable as the rig. Looking forward to hearing your impressions once you turn her loose it on the road.

If you ever played in a Texas dance band this one was always on your set list.8)

Great performance but highlights one of my pet peeves about music videos. I don't know if others feel like I do but I get really annoyed when the video looks like it was edited by someone who has no understanding of appreciation for the musicians. It seems like every time I watch a video of a live performance, waiting for a specific guitar solo, bass line, drum fill etc., right when it starts they pan to backup singers that aren't singing or rhythm guitar, or some dude in a control booth. Instead of highlighting the musicians when it's their time to shine they just pick some random shot of someone in the band bopping their head. There weren't even any shots of the backup singers in this video and we barely got a glimpse of the horns. But maybe as a musician my perspective is biased.

Guitar number 3 of my 5 builds at college this year. The fourth is on my work bench at home getting set up but the final one will need to wait until after my holidays to get finished as there is still a lot of work to do to it.

This one is called "Voil" after the loch we live beside. It is an headless, multi scale acoustic with an ergonomic body shape to reduce back neck and shoulder strain when playing seated. It is very much a prototype at the moment and there are several things I want to change already but the basic proof of concept has worked out much better than I could have expected.

Wow! That must be a great school you're attending and you must be the star student. That's next level stuff. Thanks for the info on the finish technique - it's more forgiving to sand wood than lacquer.

I'd like to order one with the optional mini bar in the sound hole please. :)