On the fence between Kemper Profiling Amp and Axe FX II

• I was first an Axe Fx user .
    After that I was using the Axe Fx2, and I was really impressed by the stellar effects and the endless configurability options...
    Axe in the effect loop of my amp - this was an almost perfect sounding solution. :)
    ...., but when I have tryied the Kemper first time, my opinion was changed totally...
    The KPA is responding to my guitars dynamics like a real amp, so I don,t need anymore my amps on the stage. ;)
    Now I,m using only my Kemper without any amp or effect and it,s the best and the easyest solution for a touring musician like me (even if i,m missing sometimes a few effects and a the much more flexible midi and effect route configurability of the Axe...)
    The KPAs sound, responding, easy of use and dynamics are simply inegalable!!!!

• Spoken like a true gentleman Sir.

• -Tonestack location (Stack-EQ block before or after the amp block)
    -Tonestack type (Fender, Marshall, ...)

some more can be found here :D

Advanced Amp Parameters

I think tonestack location and type are great ideas, but I really don't see any need for deep editing features. To me, the KPA doesn't need deep editing features, personally I'd rather see Kemper focus on a dedicated foot controller, PC editor, etc. But that's just my personal opinion.

• Any advanced parameter that is missing in the Profiler?

I agree with timowens.
    I think you've written earlier that you want to keep the kemper easy and simple to use and I really think that's the right approach.
    The kemper nails the profiled amp's signal chain and (if wanted) it's easy to fine tune or transform a profile into something completely different with the available controls and cabs.
    Adding more and more advanced deep parameters turns a unit into a tweaker nightmare, in contrast to easy and simple. More parameters is a sign that something wasn't done the right way from the beginning and adding more is an afterthought trying to fix it. When I use the kemper and axe fx 2 it's easy to see how different the two units are in terms of user friendly and parameter approach. For me great sound comes first, then easy to use is a very important second.

• Yes, this starts with a comparason between the Axe and the KPA - and the Axe has more advanced parameters, more effects and routing options.

If this is importaint is a question everybody needs to answer for himself.

All I need from the current amp parameters are sag and compression.

I try to make my profiles perfect without the need of additional eq's and effects.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• ... I really don't see any need for deep editing features.

The Kemper already has "deep editing" for profiles: definition, sag, pick, compressor, clarity, shape, bias and distortion sense.

There's more to developing software than putting together a check list of features. The features have to make sense within the context of the product.

Think about this: how would the Kemper be able to alter the tonestack location of a profile? The Kemper has zero knowledge of the reference amp's topology. A profile describes nothing but the input/output relationship of the amp/cab/room/mic chain.

The AFX describes amps differently than the Kemper. The AFX models amps in terms of distortion stages, tone stacks, transformers, power supplies, etc. Since those concepts exist in the firmware, it's easy to add virtual knobs.

The Kemper has no model of the components of the reference amp. There's nothing to which one could connect a virtual control for things like tonestack location.

• I don't know where anyone thinks the KPA doesn't have "deep" editing parameters.

There is always a degree when compared to another product, but compared to modellers on the market, the KPA isn't exactly a stomp pedal.

• I don't know where anyone thinks the KPA doesn't have "deep" editing parameters.

There is always a degree when compared to another product, but compared to modellers on the market, the KPA isn't exactly a stomp pedal.

FWIW, I never said that the KPA doesn't have any "deep" editing parameters, I said that IMHO it doesn't need any. I have never touched any of the "deep" editing parameters and I have been getting wonderful results. With the "other" device on the market you need those "deep" editing parameters, with the KPA you do not, in my mind it's as simple as that, so why make it more complicated than it needs to be.

• Oh, nothing personal. I've read on Gear Page and here a lot of comparisons and there's this "Well the KPA doesn't kill you with all these parameters"

For one, I think the FX is pretty easy to tweak. And the KPA can be pretty darned deep. But I was speaking generally, not specifically about your post, sorry to give that impression. It's all cool!

• I can tell that we have the tonestack location switch on our to-do list since quite a time.

• Maybe Kemper could add a parameter for the length of power cord, and what country you are in.

So if you are on the "India" setting for example the KPA could blackout for a few hours! ;)