On the fence between Kemper Profiling Amp and Axe FX II

• :thumbup:

There's a lot of kemper info in this long interview with C. Kemper, from guitar-muse.com.
    Discussing the difference between modeling and profiling and other things. One additional feature that Kemper mentioned early is passive tonestacks, question 3.
    http://www.guitar-muse.com/kemper-profiling-amp-2949-2949

" We are building up a library for passive tone stacks so every amp can be equipped with the corresponding equalizer, even after the profile has been captured. The tone can be shaped then as on the original. But you can even choose another passive tone stack for your profile, or even a studio equalizer, that goes far beyond the boundaries again."

Here is also an intersting thread about the kempers planned long lifespan.
    Why the Kemper is really future proof for at least the next 15 years

• I'm not sure what the guy that wrote that review was doing when he profiled the axe-fx but the ones I have done are near perfect if not better (due to less noise for high gain patches)

Also the procedure he uses to tone match an amp is a little different...you don't have to do a recording. But also to get optimum results you need to get as similar sound as possible... Don't need to do that with the kemper.

I definitely don't care for anymore advanced parameters!!! It's perfect as it is.

• Yes that highly subjective experience in the blog text had some very strange parts in it.
    I don't know anyone who considers the Kemper to sound Hi-fi, it's the most raw amp sounding unit out there. The axe-fx is by many considered to always be very hi-fi, though it has removed some of that in later firmwares when I play it which is good.
    Also the dynamics with guitar volume roll of is excellent with the kemper.
    Plenty of examples here, clips that show KPA's playable dynamic range http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1075570
    Tone matching = traditional eq match copy, exactly what's been done in computer DAW for over ten years and very much simpler than kempers new profiling technology which is very different.

Software amps or modelers have a very different design than real amps so the profiling results may vary, although it clearly can generate great spot on results. There are plenty of spot on profilies from modelers & software around.
    Here is a video by Keith Merrow profiling his Axe fx.
    Strangely some Axe users didn't like that and he posted on the FAS forum that he got hate mails for doing it.
    Post 15 in this link. http://forum.fractalaudio.com/…ofiling-axe-standard.html

Kemper profiling the Axe fx.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

[YOUTUBE]
    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/YOUTUBE]

Edited 6 times, last by orko ().

• Yes, the Kemper sounds also identicaly to the AxeFx II.
    I profiled my II before I sold it.

About >80% of the profiles were spot on.
    Some were a litzle bit different - more/longer refine helped a lot.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• IMO the actual tonestack is just an EQ, that's why it will be easy to move it, but it will bring nothing more that you can't achieve actually.
    Being able to set the center frequencies would be more powerful.

• Yes, the Kemper sounds also identicaly to the AxeFx II.
    I profiled my II before I sold it.

About >80% of the profiles were spot on.
    Some were a litzle bit different - more/longer refine helped a lot.

I think you'll agree, the differences when there are probably stem from the FXII's Effects, not the raw amp. The KPA doesn't have the same effects, so there needs to be approximation. But for raw amp, I found it to be spot on from doing the Ultra and 11R.

Truth be told, it's rather pointless when you have a real amp profiled than to profile a model of a real amp. And vice versa with trying to tone match a KPA for the FX II, why not just do the real thing?

• I think you'll agree, the differences when there are probably stem from the FXII's Effects, not the raw amp. The KPA doesn't have the same effects, so there needs to be approximation. But for raw amp, I found it to be spot on from doing the Ultra and 11R.

Truth be told, it's rather pointless when you have a real amp profiled than to profile a model of a real amp. And vice versa with trying to tone match a KPA for the FX II, why not just do the real thing?

I think a lot of the interest lies in the unreal tones created by some of the artists using the Axe FXII, there is a lot of interest in them and they don't sound like a "real" amplifier. I was looking for something else in terms of tone, but for the "djent" generation, it's probably highly desirable to cop the same tone as some of the artists using the Axe FX.

• Well I just got my new Kemper Profiling Amp via UPS today.

I was able to mess with it for about 2 hours and play through a lot of the standard rigs. I am really looking forward to digging in deeper. It sounds great and I have already found many more usable tones than my Eleven Rack.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I think I am going to be very happy with decision to purchase the Kemper instead of the Axe FX II.

:D:D:D

• I own both an Axe II & KPA. You guys are just too poor to do the same........lol

That's not a very nice thing to say. And it's not true, some of us can afford both but have decided to not keep the Axe II, it is a great modeler, but it's not for everyone. The KPA just works better for me, maybe in a few weeks when the Axe II firmware 32.11 is released I'll feel different about the Axe II and give it another go, who knows...