Virus for guitar

• I am a long time Kemper user/owner, and supporter, who also plays midi guitar. My girlfriend plays keyboards and my favorite synth she owns is the Virus, also developed by CK. I personally find the Fishman Triple Play to be the most accurate, professional guitar to midi converter ever released, and I've had them all. I really, REALLY enjoy the Virus when triggered by my guitar, as it is extremely organic, a trait familiar to Kemper users. The only downside is that most guitarists prefer a 6 voice multitimbral synth at a minimum, so that each string can send separate note and bend information, and the Virus only has 4 voice multitimbral capabilities, requiring purchasing two units. Three units give 2 voices per string, but that is quite expensive. It is absolutely possible to play in certain modes using only 1 Virus, but it limits options, and most technology obsessed musicians don't like being limited.

An absolute dream piece of gear for me, would be for CK to develope a version of Virus for midi guitarists with 6 voice multitimbrality, and as long as I am dreaming, a usb input to receive midi over usb to receive the a triple Play data, ( like iconnect ), would be pure icing on the cake.

The KPA is addressing the needs of the modern guitarist who desires a hardware solution to tone creation, and a 6 voice Virus would fill a void for the midi guitarist who is not wishing to rely solely on software synthesizers.

Here's to dreaming.

Oh YEAH!
    Pulleeze put Roland out of the guitar/synth business!

How would CK making the Virus a 6 channel multitimbral device put Roland out of business? There are MANY excellent rack synths that are well suited for Guitar to MIDI rigs.

Now if CK would like to make a better Guitar to MIDI mousetrap, I'm ready to jump ship from Roland. The Triple Play doesn't measure up for my needs yet...I'm a bit disappointed.

bd

Just wait for KPA Firmware 3.0 .... :D

Is there a secret hexaphonic input and 5 extra A/D paths hidden in the KPA??? LOL!

Seriously, the KPA isn't the right architecture to ever do polyphonic pitch to MIDI. The Roland VG99 is still the best game in town for hexaphonic guitar...and does pitch to MIDI 90% as well east the FTP. That's why I run a VG99 as a front end to the KPA...best of both worlds.

Now if CK had partnered with FTP's creator, Andras Szalay (also creator of Axon), THAT would have been a nice product!

bd

• Not a Virus, but... have you guys checked out Midi Guitar from JamOrigin? Its in 'public' beta and its pretty damn good for a software solution.

You can check it out here (if interested): JamOrigin.

disclaimer: I am not associated with JamOrigin in any way, other than an impressed trial user.

Peace...
    bluzkat

• Tried that JamOrigin ... but didn't work very well for me... not at all - I must've made a mistake setting it up I guess as there are many good reviews. Do you use it?

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• Tried that JamOrigin ... but didn't work very well for me... not at all - I must've made a mistake setting it up I guess as there are many good reviews. Do you use it?

I tried it, and it worked awesome. Tracking was even better than with my Roland GR30 + GK2. Put some Omnisphere + Orchestral Libary on there, really impressive :thumbup:

• Not a Virus, but... have you guys checked out Midi Guitar from JamOrigin? Its in 'public' beta and its pretty damn good for a software solution.

You can check it out here (if interested): JamOrigin.

disclaimer: I am not associated with JamOrigin in any way, other than an impressed trial user.

I have used Midi Guitar from Jam Origin and it's a lot of fun!
    Testing with some nice instrument sample libraries and also weirder synth sounds.

• I have bought this a while ago. It's great to play midi notes into logic feeding any Software Instrument you can think of, and it tracks very good. And all this without having to install a hex pickup.
    I think Jam Origin have done a very innovative job here.

Yes it's pretty amazing it works without any special pickups!

• It is somewhat close, but really not ready for any live use, IMO. 13 pin will take you there with proper technique, on a consistent and reliable basis, you have to get over adding a pickup, guitarists add them for normal electric guitars, all the time. However, I can't wait for Midi Guitar to be fully realized. By the way, using it with Omnisphere (textures, etc.), or any strings, pads, etc., is not a good test. Piano is, and it is not quite there yet, but I hope Jam Origin keeps up their outstanding work!

• Midi or not, but just a synthesizer module inside Kemper would be awesome. Synthesizer with real wave forms (oscillator saw, square) for monophonic solo playing or polyphonic pads. Or having a synth sound pitch up a 5th along with normal guitar sound instead of using the harmonizer makes it real interesting.
    Or playing a moog solo sound like Jan Hammer. In my old pod xt pro i have a upgrade with synth sounds and its ok, it trigger ok monophonic but the sounds is not to good. I used it live but I think C.Kemper can make this much better. :)

Edited 5 times, last by strengdal ().

• Something tells me this will never happen...
    The Profiler is not another Axe-Fx, it doesn't aim at being an all-in-one solution... and, if I got to know Eng. Kemper a bit in these years, he will not do it.

:)