The difference between green, yellow and red

• I feel ridiculous. Been having so much trouble with getting my input settings right. The most noob issue anyone could have with the Kemper. I'm guessing.

Yet it's likely to be the first problem faced by anyone new to the Kemper. I got my unit in the middle of this week and out of the box I had a superb experience.

Then came my first update and things became confusing. I was convinced that the input settings had added gain to my signal. The reason? My input LED was clipping.

I subsequently lowered my clean sense, as any good user should in such a situation. Right? Apparently wrong. The feel went right out of the Kemper. It became like any modelling unit in terms of the playability, though the sound was better than what I've been used to.

Today, I was screwing (believe me, the right word) with the input settings and raised clean sense. And man, what a difference it makes to playability, feels so lively and bouncy. But my LED was clipping...

Or was it? I think a lot of the confusion stems from the difference between yellow and red. Green is easy to understand, but when the yellow flashes, I thought it looked a bit red :cursing:

But when red flashes, it looks really red :cursing:

So is it clipping super fast and therefore I see a little red in my yellow (orange)? Or does a red clip LED only count when you see it as clearly as a OD/Distortion LED? :cursing:

Or maybe I'm just colour blind X(:thumbdown:

• Hi nightlight, the setting of my Clean Sense parameter is at 6,4 - my guitar has "normal" passive pickups, I have never seen the red light flashing (but I don´t look often at it...).
    This are just numbers, your ears should be the master, when the setting is wright, you can hear that it sounds very good and feel the perfect playability, so give a f*** the LED colour. :thumbup:

Play it like you mean it.

• Hi nightlight, the setting of my Clean Sense parameter is at 6,4 - my guitar has "normal" passive pickups, I have never seen the red light flashing (but I don´t look often at it...).
    This are just numbers, your ears should be the master, when the setting is wright, you can hear that it sounds very good and feel the perfect playability, so give a f*** the LED colour. :thumbup:

Cleans sense 6.4!!!!!! I can't get mine anywhere near that. What guitar are you using mines a PRS Navarro modal not the SE one and my clean sense is 0.8 without it hitting the red

• Try lowering that clean sense, then slapping a pure boost or green scream in the stomp section before the amp and dialing that up a little. You may find the feel is back to where you want it to be without clipping the input (just virtually clipping the sim's input), by clipping your input you're compressing your signal somewhat as well as the input stage of the amp sim which makes for a more fluid feel, if you use a stomp to do the same then you should avoid harsh digital input clipping but get the same effect in unit (with it's analog simulation giving you an approximation of analog clipping instead which sounds nicer). It feels and sounds much the same as doing the same thing to a real amp. I find I have to do this to get the Kemper to behave and feel close to my real tube amps too.

Alternatively you may just prefer to play a little louder, so work from the other end of the chain and simply turn the speakers up.

You know how it is when we get new toys. Look at them, drool over them, dust them now and then. I saw what I thought was the red light, except maybe it was the yellow light, but Mr CK says a red light is bad. And it was such a new and shiney device. I just had to turn it down :thumbup:

Cleans sense 6.4!!!!!! I can't get mine anywhere near that. What guitar are you using mines a PRS Navarro modal not the SE one and my clean sense is 0.8 without it hitting the red

After playing it at 0 for a day or so, I yesterday hiked it to 1.9 and the difference is evident. If I go beyond that, I see a "solid" red light, as opposed to reddish-looking yellow light, which might just be an orange light. Doing so solved the volume issue that I mentioned in your other thread :thumbup: