VIDEO: Keith Merrow & Andrew Wade on Axe vs KPA

• C'mon, Keith. :)
    You had a few friends that toured with the Lunchbox and had problems because it's not durable, but you could throw the Axe-FX off a building and it would most probably survive. :D
    Hmm, I don't have much to do today, perhaps I'll do a video of me throwing an Axe-FX off a building and see how well it survives. :thumbup:

• Sorry but I thought that was a really lame demo. :thumbdown:

Kind of, but I think it´s ok for what it´s meant to be: a little part of a 2 day workshop presenting A LOT tips and tricks for recording rock guitar. And he shows some nice tricks for micing amps with two mics in other videos of that workshop...

• I keep hearing that the guitar and pickups you use while profiling will make a difference... but they don't. Your guitar isn't even involved until you start refining, and that's just so the Kemper can hear how notes in a chord get smushed together in the amp. Different pickups will affect that a little bit, but at that point the profile is already 90% done.

...Right?

• I think they are trying to say that you will setup the amp and EQ it to sound good with a certain guitar and pickups. So when you use that exact profile with a different guitar, it will sound different. But you are right the guitar and pickups are not part of the profiling chain.

I thought they would explain a bit more about the connections and how the KPA profiles the amp. If I was new to the KPA and saw that video, I would still have a lot of questions about exactly what it does.

But there are already a good number of videos available showing how to do the actual profiling, so no big deal.
    Sean

• Well, Keith really said that the guitar and pickup gets profiled too, which might be the reason why he thinks it's hard to share profiles.
    That's how a new myth can be created, still the profile is NOT including the guitar colour.

Since he does his own profiles he could have made an easy test:

- Make a profile
    - Refine it with first guitar
    - Make A/B comparison and see that it sounds equal
    - Swap the guitar while leaving everything else untouched
    - Make A/B comparison again and see that it sounds equal
    - See that the profile might not be suitable for the second guitar, the same is true for the actual settings of the reference amp.

This is the reason why shared profile might sound a bit odd with your guitar.
    Tip: the Definition parameter in the amp section is perfect for adapting the profile to your guitar by the strike of one knob.

• +1 to CK. Most of the time I dial up a profile and am like WTF, I visit the amp parameters and notice that Definition is set to 10. This definitely does not work for my EBMM JPM with a crunch lab in the bridge for most profiles. I turn that down and the tone fattens up. Then if I want additional pre-EQ shaping, I use a Studio EQ to dial in the sweet spots.

• Mybe do a section on the Kemper homepage where you put all the myths and how they are bull****.? I think a bunch of people would learn something from this!

• The response of the amp to the player has been completely ignored. # 1 reason to own a Kemper IMO.

I hope the lady gets to talk in another part ;(

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.