Suggestions/Ideas for downtuned basstone from guitar

• Hi there,

since i'm not an professional and haven't got as many experiences as many of you, I have the followin idea:

When i record something at home with a (real) downtuned Les Paul to B, I'd like to record the basstrack as well. I've got a bass, a cheap one, usable for my purposes, but in E-tuning.

What would you suggest for the "best-sounding" solution for recording a basstrack? Transpose the bass down to B and record through a profil or transpose the b-tuned guitar, that it sounds like bass?

As i said, its just for homerecording purposes but, of course, I would like to sound it as natural as possible.

Thanks for your tipps and tricks!

Cheers.

• I would not recommend using a guitar for bass. It simply will not sound the same, not even close. You could try getting some heavier string for your bass and just tune it down. Keep in mind though that this might have a big impact on the tension of the neck of the bass. It probably would have to be readjusted. If the neck is not very strong it might turn the bass unusable.

• a heavier string in a lower tuning does not automatically mean a higher string tension.

on guitar, for example, between the D, A and E strings (.026, .036 and .046 diameter in inches), the A string has the highest tension, followed by the D string and the E string comes in last, with 2 lbs less than the A.

• Thanks for your suggestions.

I mainly use the bass for standard tuning. It would be inconvinient to switch between the tunings, as I always had to change the strings and readjust the neck and intonation.

I'm curios because I've read that are effects in the KPA, which other owners in this forum use for detuning their guitars. According to this, I thought it is even may possible with downtuning the bass from E to B.

Of course, I'm fully aware that this option would'nt sound like a regular downtuned bass. The best option would may be a second bass in the desired tuning.

Currently, I'm absolutely overwhelmed by the amount of parameters and features of the KPA and would appreciate any similiar reports and experiences. 8o

• Of the two options, definitely go with pitch-shifting the bass down. You'll notice, though, that the Kemper tends to feel a bit laggy when you transpose down - it's an unavoidable side-effect of pitch effects.

What I'd do is record your bass direct, playing the part in E, use a pitch shifter on your DAW to drop the tuning (Reaper's ReaPitch plugin is great, as an example), and reamp that through your Kemper. The result will probably sound better, especially if you play any chords or really fast bass lines, and won't have shouldn't have any lag since the computer can pre-process everything.

• here're your options:

transpose the guitar down an octave or transpose the bass down 5 halfsteps

you can use the 'Transpose' pitch effect or the 'Harmonic Pitch'
    whatever you choose, use them before the Stack, so the profile can react to the incoming lower pitches.

while Transpose is straightforward, 'Harmonic Pitch' has the extra parameter 'Formant Shift', which is especially useful if you are transposing your guitar down an octave,
    since you can dial in a tone that's more like a bass and not a guitar shifted down an octave. (-0.6 works well)

• We tune our 4string basses to dropped D, and surprisingly transposing from there to B isn't too bad...would make a backup for a 5 string in a pinch.

You might have to go up a gauge for the low string from say 100-105, or 105-110. Whatever holds dropped D tuning stable.

Also tried dropped C with heavier gauge and personally I think the tension and tuning is way too sloppy even with higher gauge strings, a 5 string tuned to B is a smarter choice. YMMV.

More than likely a B string won't fit without altering the nut, plus some are tapered at the bridge, and the intonation is a bitch. The huge jump from between strings (fret 10 on B string = open A) makes it pretty weird to play also.

I haven't played with the formants yet, but I'm skeptical a guitar dropped an octave will sound like a decent bass. I will have to test that theory now.....:D

Plus, do yourself a favour and grab this profile, it kills for SVT-style bass: http://sonicunderground.bigcar…mpeg-svt-blueline-profile

• Thanx!

• Personally I like to play most of the bass higher on the bass than where the root note is on the guitars, either an octave above, a fifth above or make the bass play a harmony. Sounds much better than just playing root notes. :) I tune to B-std as well.

If you absolutely must get those low B-notes, I'd get thicker strings for the bass and tune it to B.