good home studio monitors...

• I just want a good pair of speakers for home use (not recording or for playing live). I'm a closet junkie so it's just for me to play with.

I was thinking a good pair of studio monitors would work instead of going the PA route or the Atomic CLR route. Partly due to size and I wasn't a pair so cost is a factor.

I was leaning towards the Equator D8s, M-Audio BX8 D2 and the KRK VXTs.

Anyone use these with the Kemper and thoughts?

• I like my KRK VXT4's. :) I've heard nothing but praise for the Equators though.

Personally I'd probably go for the most expensive ones you can, and not care about the speaker size (ie. low end response) since you're going to only use them for guitar. But monitors are really subjective so I'd suggest going to a music store where you can try out a bunch and bring some music you like with you.

• I love my equator D5s (running with a KRK 10S sub). Great bang for the buck. Plenty loud with good clarity.

• Behringer 2031a + KRK S10 sub here, makes me a Happy Kemper ! I would assume for bedroom levels a 5 or 6 inch monitor is enough. Just take the time to listen to a few in the shop. I liked Dynaudio's a lot but they were too expensive for me at the time.

• I have the Adam A7Xs - very nice. As ever with these things, room size and any existing acoustic treatment comes into play.
    From what I've heard though from many users on is that there are a lot of nice options for monitoring the KPA. A lot of them cheaper than the Adams... e.g The Yamahas Raoul mentioned. The Behringer Truth range are attractively priced and get lots of honourable mentions here. But I'm very happy with my A7Xs...

Suhr Classic Pro, Fender deluxe Strat & Baja Tele, Gibson ES335, Ibanez S Prestige 2170FW, Eastman AR371CE, Variax JTV > KPA > Patch bay inc. Strymons (Mobius, Timeline, Blue Sky), H9 Max, TC Triple Delay, & POD HD500 > Adam A7Xs

• FYi This site has some cool comparisons with videos and clips on soundcloud including most mentioned above.

http://www.sonicsense.com/blog/category/studio-monitors/

Sorry if off topic, but would anyone know if a pair, or quad, of, say 8" 75W, monitors could be loud enough to play with a drummer in a basement?

I wouldn't use studio monitors for that. They're called "near field monitors" for a reason. :)

Get something like the Yamaha DXR10 instead for that.

• I don´t think you may define what sounds better on the basis of a commercial category (monitor vs. PA). The matter is more complicated than this, and loudness is just one of the parameters which define the quality of a loudspeaker.
    PAs are generally (or may be) more punchy and "present" than studio monitors, but a good (and expensive) monitor can blow a mediocre PA out of the water.

Anyway, talking about loudness, the amp´s wattage is only one of the parameters which determine it: another important one is cone´s efficiency, which measures how many dBs of sound pressure the come outputs with a given signal strength: the higher the efficiency, the louder the sound with the same input level.

HTH

• after looking around a few other places... i'm giving a set of Equator D8s a try and see how I like them.

At least that gives me 60 days.. (BTW... great customer service from Equator)

• I was investigating the Equator products a few ago. Apart from the dramatic price drop they realized by starting direct selling, the D5 was said by several reviewers and testers to sound better than the D8. In case you're not satisfied with your choice, give the other model a try :)

• I use M-Audio MX 5's for general monitoring around the house, back porch and in hotel rooms/travel. I like the sound of them with the Kemper. I use Genelec 8040's in my studio ; Kemper sounds amazing. I also have a pair of JBL PRX612m's that make the Kemper scream.. and I use my in-ear's when I'm tracking most of the time nowadays, though not necessary, I just dig the sound and it's quiet to the outside world.

MX5's are cheap and sound great, easy to transport... buy them used for almost nothing.

Gettin' funky up in here..