Steve Vai - Die To Live ... KEMPER DEMO SOUND (and just a little bit of Love of God :-))

• The thing is, if you listen to the original 'recorded' Vai tones, then listen to the same songs on one live show, then another live show, the tones are all different...his own signature tones are inconsistent...what's consistent is the way he plays the actual solo.

It is absolutely true that when we serach for an artist sound or a song tone, we find different sounds in all the different verison studio and various Live, but it is also true that the main characteristics/parameter/effects/settings of such sound remains constant trought the various version, than the artist has in his hand big part of the tone obviously.

I think we overcomplicate "signature' tones, the signature is in the way you play it, not the actual tone.

... let me describe my personal conclusion on this topic: that every signature tones is a mix of hands/way of playing/guitar used/amp+effects. All is needed in different percentage for the scope, and only working on all these factors together we can achieve the best results.
    How much is important one vs another??? Well, I believe it depends, song by song, on how much is complex the effect chain used and all the rest...

What is amazing now in 2014 is that finally with the Kemper we can switch just a button and pass from Vai to Gilmour to Knopfler to Moore etc etc, and all sounds great and absolutely realistic 8o:thumbup:;)

• Very well said, Maurizio. I can't tell you how many times people would tell me my Pod HD patch didn't sound like ____ even though they thought my clip sounded spot on, but they weren't using my guitar or setup or string gauge or playing style, etc. One piece of a signal chain can't magically make the entire tone. But of course, every piece is quite important, and I try to help others get the piece that we have in common as close as possible.

Definitely like the For the Love of God clip. I think the main thing that's off is the EQ. Way too thin and bright, and it was like that on my rig. I made the mistake of trying to make it a rhythm/lead tone, using the stomp effects to alternate. If you listen to Erotic Nightmares intro, the guitar is extremely bright/thin. So I took a middle of the road approach, which obviously missed the mark. The lead tone needs more in the 500-1500HZ range (probably more on the low side) and shelf everything above 2 kHZ downward by about 3 db.

• Love that tone! Gotta have it. For some reason I can't download it so maybe you can put it on the exchange? Please? :rolleyes:

• Wow that sounds great!!' When I was around 18 I was really into Vai and his guitar playing. Just wish I could play like him ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:D I guess I'll have to settle for his tone which is a good thing.