Its like the night before Christmas :)

• Hi Guys,

I have been playing guitar since I was 7 (now am 48). I play in a cover band "Minutes to Midnight" in the Detroit Michigan area.

For the last 10 years or more, I have been a VHT Pittbull owner. Back when I first heard my first VHT live, I was in love (you know what I mean). The growl, the harmonics, the touch, the impact .... all things that ONLY could be had from a real set of tubes and a great 4x12 cab (I also have a fat bottom 2x12 to go with it).

I am a electrical engineer. I often got asked over the years why I didn't use something digital. Always my answer was the same. "If there were anything out there that could be both digital .... and sound like my VHT .... I would have it .... but there isn't. Nothing sounds like a good tube amp!".

So I am browsing over the web forums and come across this .... Kemper thing (I don't even remember what I was searching for when I ran across it). I am not one to quickly make a big buying decision like this. I research 4 digit purchases with a religious furor ;)

Some of the basic questions I wanted to understand was:

• What is the background of the people that are advocating the Kemper? I have heard lots of people who play in their bedroom praise a Line 6, but they don't play live .... which kind of invalidates their opinion for my purposes.
    • What gear did they own before they bought the Kemper? Surprisingly, almost all of the Kemper converts appear to be tube purists..... seemed like a good sign
    • Was anyone using it live and was there a good workflow live?
    • How many reports of issues are there in the field? I can't blow a gig because my gear is down.
    • How good are the efx?

I looked through every post I could find on the Kemper profiler. The more I read, the more promising it sounded.

I have long dreamed of a rig that fits in a rack that I can carry with one hand while I carry my guitar case with the other. Tomorrow .... I will have it.

I have a FCB1010 just laying around that I once thought I would use for more than I ever did (too many foot switches already). I have purchased the Uno 4 Kemper chip (with labels) and it is on the way.

My band uses all IEM's, so I will likely go straight into the PA at gigs. For jamming with friends, I can use one of my Yamaha DSR112's.

This is the end of a long process I started about 5 years ago. I went from an all passive PA with folded horn subs to all powered speakers. I went from a bunch of amps and wedges for monitoring to IEMs, I went from a huge rack containing a mixer and tons of outboard gear to an X32 console, and now I will give up my 2x12 cab, 4x12 cab, VHT Head and digitech 2120 efx unit for my new Kemper profiler.

I have already listened to tons of profile samples. I have a list of my favorites from the clips, but want to get my own guitars into the Kemper to see which ones really sound best to my ears live.

I am looking forward to a long and productive existence as a proud Kemper owner!

• Welcome!

Besides finding some giggable sounds right away, be sure to make some profiles of your VHT when you have a chance. That way, you can have it in your IEMs, anytime you want it. in addition to as many other amps as you would like use. My main gain sounds are rigs made from profiles of my old Marshall Jubilee (I've had it since 1990 or so), with a couple of different cabinets and mic combinations/placements, and different amounts of gain. When I'm not using the Jubilee rigs, I'm using other Marshalls, several Fenders, Vox, Matchless, Roland, some pawn shop quirky amps, and some things that don't sound like a guitar at all.

I'm 186 miles (299km) south of you, in Columbus, Ohio. Do you play anywhere in Ohio? Our northenmost gigs scheduled at this point are Toledo in July, Maumee in August.

• Welcome here, same experience that PaulTS but with a Mesa/Boogie (MarkIIC+).

I did a bunch of profiles of my amp that I play quite exclusively. The results are beyond my expectations.
    You won't be disappointed but of course you will need a Learning curve because there are so many powerful amp/cabs options in that box...

Enjoy !

• Hola! Fellow Detroiter here too. Although I just moved to Texas and was lucky enough to miss this past winter.

The Kemper replaced a marshall tube half stack for me. The sound on the Kemper is amazing, you just have to find the right profile that works with your setup.

It's seriously that good...

Welcome!

• Twas the Night before Christmas
    And all through the house
    a Kemper kept Jamming
    Annoying the Spouse!

LMAO!! That was classic ;)

Thanks guys for the welcome. Sadly, my kemper didn't quite make it to my door today. It is sitting in Ohio. Should be here tomorrow.

I don't gig in Ohio.... too much of a drive for me. Besides, I have to stay clear of competition with Kempers ;) Might make me sound bad!