Dunlop John Petrucci JazzIII picks

• Bought two them.

I tried all the JazzIII available. After 10 years playing the JazzIII (small) Black Stiffo, I finally switched to JazzIIIXL stiffo. I just love them. I had a pick attack twice more powerful than regular JazzIII. My guitar rang so well after I mastered it. I meanwith this pick I had a picking Gain (amount of distortion) increased by about 20% !! Before I needed a gain of 8/10, now I am more at 6.5/10 !!

Petrucci picks :
    Pros :
    The dimension are quite the same as JazzIII XL (only 2mm smaller), so I can I felt instantly at home. Also the chops were easier to play (arpeggios and all this sherdding shit)

Cons : the tone. As I think it can be a nice upgrade for small Jazz III players and even for JazzIIIXL red nylon players, for people like me who use to JazzIII XL stiffo, it is a step back for the tone. I mean it is brighter (no stiffo for the JP pick), and as I prefer the tone over the easy sensations for shredding, I finally kept my JazzIIIXL stiffo. These f**king XL stiffo pick have for me THE TONE !! Without any doubt the secret of my tone... However I would rank the JP pick in 2nd position just before the JazzIIIXL red (nylon).

My 2 cents

• Tortoise hère... only thing I've used since the early 70's... unbelievable tone and sharp attack... feels great.. no complaints.. haven't bought one since the 70's either... the only thing I'm planning on taking with me when I check out..

Gettin' funky up in here..

• I got into a "thick pick" habit when soloing. 1mm Dunlop Jazz some numeral.

But lately, since I mix strumming, I'm going back to a softer pick. My favorites, don't laugh, are Beatles ones found on Amazon.

Lame, Gay, call it what you will, but knowing I got Ringo between my fingers, just makes ALL the difference.

Seriously, tho, If I'm recording a solo, I used Jazz 1mm of some kind, and a regular "medium" Beatles pick, which is just a tad harder than a Fender Medium.

The tips are in-between a sharp and rounded edge. I also like using Bronze. I'll get a cheap bronze coin from a coin dealer from some third world country and file it down to pick size. I look for rather think coins to begin with. And the edge will smooth out as you play, so you can file it rather roughly and not fine-file it for any finish even. I think Billy Gibbons uses a Mexican Peso? I tried that and all. Bronze gives such a warm tone, Just love it.