Latency

• I've recently switched from AxeFX Ultra to the KPA. But when using the KPA I notice actuall latency and this is quite annoying.

Ive tried some diffrent approachs but nothing seem to help.

I Plug my KPA direct thru my soundcard (Fasttrack Ultra M-Audio) thru XLR.
    Tried the constant latency button and so forth.

Any tips and Ideas?

Thanks.

• Are you feeling de ~3ms latency?? wow what a beast... (No ofense here, but get sure you can really notice it and its not due to "brain tricking")
    For normal practice I wouldn't bother, as the latency is unapreciable.
    If your concern is more about recording, you can try sending Git Analog to your DAW, that output is a direct copy of your analog guitar signal, no latency involved here at all.
    Also for reamping, you can try to compensate the loop latency with your DAW (sure it has an option) and that should get rid of all your latency-displacement issues.

Hope this helps,
    Cheers

• Yes I play 16th notes lead guitar in 215-235 bpm so I actually notice this.
    I will try this out. Never experienced this when I recorded with the AxeFX. All of a sudden I have this issue.

If you dont have anything constructive to say. Dont say anything.

Thanks kukulkahn for answer.

• 1. Do you get latency playing the KPA straight into headphones?

2. What's the latency on your sound card? Are you using Direct Monitoring on it?

3. My math tells me that a 16th note at 220bpm is roughly 65ms. I know not everybody's ears are the same, but I'm extremely skeptical that the Kemper's 5ish ms of latency are going to make a difference. The average person can't even tell there's lag until around 10-15.

• I remember I have also felt something similar when switching to the KPA, but measurements indicated that it was most likely not latency.Is it possible that somehow you are more used to the 'fake' more compressed, direct sound of other modeler products?
    IMHO the KPA really well emulates the dynamics of real tube amps. And real tube amps can be a little more spongy, more late-blooming, more elastic feeling while playing than some of the other modeling products.

PS: some latency issues were solved during early stages of FW development, so make sure you use the latest version.

• I remember I have also felt something similar when switching to the KPA, but measurements indicated that it was most likely not latency.Is it possible that somehow you are more used to the 'fake' more compressed, direct sound of other modeler products?
    IMHO the KPA really well emulates the dynamics of real tube amps. And real tube amps can be a little more spongy, more late-blooming, more elastic feeling while playing than some of the other modeling products.

PS: some latency issues were solved during early stages of FW development, so make sure you use the latest version.

This is a great thought! And I would bet could be the cause.

Many tube amps are "loose" feeling which could give the perception of latency. There a lot of thing that add to this like extended bass response and even the speakers used.

OP, if you put a green screem in one of the first 4 slots does this help?

• I think that was something to do with his output settings on the Kemper side going into his sound card. This happened to me while trying to figure what was wrong with power amp I had just bought as I wasn't getting any sound from the speaker. If memory served me right had the same problem about a month ago. There is no solution as the Kemper does not have any real latency. The Kemper was not set up right that's all. Thought it was a flamer. LATENCY????

• I did not know how to think about latency. It has never been a problem for me, so I just disregarded it. The only latency that bothered me was the one related to DAW monitoring when overlying new tracks. But I disgress.

What changed my mind about the whole "digital devices' latency" issue has been my experience with my friend Umberto Fiorentino, guitar player in the Lingomania fusion band, I wrote about some days ago.

When we connected the Profiler to the active CLR he immediately said "I hear a latency here", while he felt ok using his Fender amp. Needless to say, I did not perceive any difference.

So I thought it over, with the premise that I completely trust Umberto, his ears, his skills and him lacking any bkas or agenda.

My conclusions are that some people are more sensitive to latency than others. This might sound obvious, but a more meaningful idea I came to is that the classical comment that x ms of digital latency equal y meters distance from the cab is somehow misleading.

The fact is that when we hear ourselves through a cab 5 meters far, all our perception adjusts to that. Depending on the room, the interaction between early and late reflections Vs. the direct sound creates a set of signals we are perfectly able and accustomed to decypher. The same is true, if you think of it, when we listen to an acoustic musician, a singer, or for what it matters any source of noise at a certain distance: we see the person acting, but the sound arrives later than the light (think for example of classic situations such as a sprint race starter, or fireworks).
    We are perfectly accustomed to interpret these situations, and put together image and sounds in a realistic scenario we've been accustomed to since million years.

But when we have a cab in front of us and there's an artificial delay which sums to the natural one, somehow our perception of time/space is misled.
    I've come to the conclusion that this is what we call "latency" when we refer to the one which bothers some of us: that sound, from that distance, just shouldn't come "so" late.

• I believe I was having the same problem. Owned a kemper for few weeks now. Felt a bit of like a latency problem when I pick my guitar. Resolved by tweaking the noise gate knob at the kemper front panel. It was actually set to full. I forgot that I was actually playing around with this knob when I first recieved my Kemper. Reset the noise gate back to 0 and issue was gone :). Not sure if this solution applies to everyone. Just sharing. Hope this helps.