M Britt Kemper Profiles

• Ok, I bought the pack, here is my point of view (tested with my Fender '66 "reference"-strat):

- I found some really nice clean profiles
    - the crunch and higher gain profiles generally sound muddy to me (too many low mids), I'm missing treble
    - I don't like the KPA-compressor on a lot of profiles, I prefer real raw profiles

My conclusion: crunch and high gain profiles from MW, Andy and Armin are much better (for my taste), if you're looking for clean profiles and crunch/gain-profiles with a lot of mids/low mids and less treble, maybe this could be the right pack for you.

I think MB did his sound to sound good for a live Setup on a PA, which I find others profiles way too bity or trebly on live loud PA . It's just too much high end and it bites your ear off.

So this is a nice welcome, and they are not super dark to me. I guess different strokes for different folks !!!

• I tried these profiles out this weekend during 2 gigs and they sound awesome! The thing I like the most is that I can just pick a profile and start playing it, even during the concert I did this a couple of times and it just worked out! I don't miss, the mentioned by guenterhaas, treble at all, OTOH I find most of the other profiles I use too direct and trebly out of the box. Also I got a very good amp feeling with these profiles, they seem while playing through my 1*12 cab more like the real thing. For me the pack to go! There's a lot of great clean/crunchy tones in the pack and till now I have been missing these the most because there's way more good high gain stuff out there (commercial and free) than good clean tones.

So good work on these Michael!

Only downside is that we played only 20 songs so I had to leave a lot of profiles unused for this weekend..:-)

• Hi Michael, just bought the profiles, really like some of the /13, Princeton and 3P. I'm yet to try these live, looking forward to it!
    Loving the sound of the profiles in the Youtube video, they sound great.

Interesting you're using real amp and cab for monitoring on stage? And no second backup Kemper either!

I may be wrong but, I think a lot of Kemper users, me included, are getting great results through studio monitors at home, but
    can't seem to get the same sound live through monitors, amp, FRFR speakers etc. Hence question about real and cab.

Mark.

• I think MB did his sound to sound good for a live Setup on a PA, which I find others profiles way too bity or trebly on live loud PA . It's just too much high end and it bites your ear off.

So this is a nice welcome, and they are not super dark to me. I guess different strokes for different folks !!!

Ok, that might be the reason why the pack isn't the right one for me, I'm using my KPA for recording and playing direct-to-desk with in ears.

I took a look at his video, he is using the KPA live without a FRFR-system, just a Peavey-tube-head and a normal guitar-cab. Of course the profiles monitored by a tube amp -coloring the signal strongly- will sound totally different than the main-out-signal. There are two very different signals: the main-outs straight into the desk and the monitor-sound colored by a tube-amp and a guitar-cab. For me it's perfect if the monitor-sound and the main outs are as identical as possible, different story and set-up.

Maybe less treble on the profiles may sound well for a live setup like this. I just can say, if you're looking for great recording profiles, the MW-pack is the most interesting one at the moment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

Edited 2 times, last by guenterhaas ().

• from the webpage:

"These profiles were primarily developed for live use so most profiles use the same or similar 3rd Power speaker cabs with similar mic’ing and Celestion speakers."

• from the webpage:

"These profiles were primarily developed for live use so most profiles use the same or similar 3rd Power speaker cabs with similar mic’ing and Celestion speakers."

...and a tube amp for amplifying the KPA...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• from the webpage:

...and a tube amp for amplifying the KPA...[/quote]

Yes, in the beginning, many of these profiles were designed for the purpose of me using the Kemper in a live situation. Once profiled, I have also used these profiles on many recording sessions with great results and several other Nashville and Dallas session players have used them as well, so to just label them "live" profiles would not be entirely accurate. And they were not simply developed for amplification by a tube amp. I developed them for going direct into a p.a. or recording rig or whatever direct monitoring system you choose. The tube amp onstage is for a low-end thump as well as having a backup guitar amp rig. I'm not mic'ing the cab or using it for anything other than stage volume so the stage doesn't feel so quiet. It's also highly baffled so the high end isn't offending anyone else onstage. Just wanted to clarify that these are not designed for just running into a tube amp.

• Just bought these as well, thought a little feedback in this thread was in order: I thought they're simply awesome, best cleans I've ever heard from my KPA, great mid gain and lead tones, and the 3rd Power + Klon profile is to die for :love:

BTW I'm running my KPA into a Yamaha DXR10.

• Ok, that might be the reason why the pack isn't the right one for me, I'm using my KPA for recording and playing direct-to-desk with in ears.

I took a look at his video, he is using the KPA live without a FRFR-system, just a Peavey-tube-head and a normal guitar-cab. Of course the profiles monitored by a tube amp -coloring the signal strongly- will sound totally different than the main-out-signal. There are two very different signals: the main-outs straight into the desk and the monitor-sound colored by a tube-amp and a guitar-cab. For me it's perfect if the monitor-sound and the main outs are as identical as possible, different story and set-up.

Maybe less treble on the profiles may sound well for a live setup like this. I just can say, if you're looking for great recording profiles, the MW-pack is the most interesting one at the moment.

Okay, I have to step in here, because you are kind of spouting some misinformation, and apparently not comprehending how he runs his rig. WE ALL know that a tube amp will color the signal, but that is not what the FOH is hearing at all, I mean surely you understand that he is using the monitor out into the EVH (not peavey btw) head. It's almost as if you are insinuating that his profiles are not to your liking on their own but would be if ran through a tube head or something like that???? FOR YOU it might very well be great if the main out and monitor sound are identical, and once again if you saw how mike runs his rig, he uses an IN EAR SYSTEM as well, which is also the feed you were hearing during his gear rundown demo. I have no idea what you are monitoring on, but I completely and 100 percent disagree with your reviews (how long did you spend with these? what are you listening on? ) on these. I am pretty sure, if these profiles were "too dark and muddy and too much low mids", that the guy in a band with 9 number one hits, and a more than likely SICK FOH guy would probably be able to figure that out: But it's quite the opposite, you are really the only one standing out here, and thats fine everyone IS entitled to their own opinion. Whats even more peculiar is that Mike has said SEVERAL times these are obviously not "just" for live use, as many seasoned pros in nashville have apparently used these on projects as well. I also monitor with an FRFR rig (2 yamaha DXR 12's) and again completely disagree with you. Like many others have said, many profiles are far too bright I have found once cranked up through a powerful PA. Not sure what your background is or what type of shows you have played but all I can say is TURN THESE UP and you will surely not feel they are too dark, they are definitely not in the least through a LOUD PA. On the contrary, many of the profiles you mention are insaneliy too bright to be used at that type of volume without some serious low pass filtering going on: Trust me, ive been using my KPA for almost 3 years live with many of the profiles you have mentioned, alot of them are too bright; in my opinion of course...I just wanted to copy and paste my review from the other night that i put on the gear page...here it is

Well, I have to say, I was one of the first to purchase these probably. I think I bought them within 2 minutes of the website going live, haha! I went so far as to email Mike about these, as I am a long time fan, and have always hoped he would someday make his profiles available for purchase. I never expected them to be THIS good though, however.

I knew they would be great, but as time has gone on, many will probably agree there is somewhat of a "diminishing return" when it comes to profiles: atleast what is made available to the public that is. There are at this point thousands of profiles available, and some that are no doubt absolutely incredible. It is hard to imagine the bar being raised (again, with what we have available, you better believe there is much better profiles in world class studios than what we have available free or commercial): but it has....

I can safely say I have virtually deleted everything in my kemper other than these. Are they the "best" as some are saying? To ME, they most definitely are: and last nights gig proved it. Last night I played with an artist, 1200-1500 person club, probably 1200 or so there. "decent" PA, nothing spectacular (6 yorkville 15s, 4 18 inch subs), and it was the most comfortable I have been on stage since gigging with my kemper for the first time in 2012. It was also the best I have played I feel, these are truly some inspirational tones, atleast for me that is. Everything that has been said is completely true: how they sit in the mix, right amount of high/low/mids etc;They are unique and they sound fantastic, and I also did absolutely no tweaking other than adding and tweaking some effects (delay, octive pedal, wah). But that is only part of the story; what really makes them special is how inspirational they were to me. and yes, it was also the best live sound I have had to date in my opinion as well.

Pretty sure my sound engineer, who has been mixing my live tones for a year with my kemper, did absolutely no EQing as well, and if he did, it was to correct some of the lackluster PA. All in all, some had said it was the best they have heard us sound, it was an all around electric night, and just a fantastic gig and turnout. Was it all because of the profiles? probably not (haha!), but they contributed to my playing, and made me play the best I could play, and did what was most important: Make my artist sound the best HE can as well.

So, obviously I am a happy guy. There is no better feeling than deleting a bunch of unused or immediately unnessessary profiles, I feel like I have finally found tones that are not only completely unique original and usable, but the most inspiring profiles I have played to date. I couldn't be happier, not even with those real amps [Blocked Image: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/images/smilies/smile.gif]

• I've been watching your stuff since the first time I saw you on here to see where you were going with your Kemper supported sound. I don't know if my day can get over quick enough so I can head to the rehearsal room and throw them in!! Thanks in advance Michael for bringing some live profiles. Both myself and our other guitarist use Kempers for live and have at times struggled (slightly) with other profiles and tweaking them for live. Not that they haven't worked just worked hard tweaking. We have a big show coming up honoring our Veterans with Lee Greenwood and Michael Wright. We play through a stereo DXR's for stage monitoring. On larger stages I will add a Mustang or an Egnator TM for the power amp to move some air as well. Your profiles sound right up my alley. I'll humbley give a review for the FRFR guys once someone rips my guitar out of my hands!!

• HA! VESmedic (won't quote the entire message, it's rather large): I'm so glad to realize I'm not crazy for thinking many profiles available from the exchange, factory profiles and even some commercial profiles are way too bright for (loud) live use! I too make an effort to tweak out the excess brightness but for some reason often end up feeling they're either too bright or muffled when I shave that top end off, as if originally the high frequency emphasis was out of place or something. In any case Mike's profiles seem to be the answer to that problem, I can only imagine how hard he's worked in order to deliver the right frequency content in his profile pack, I'd risk guessing his profiles are "pre-produced" to deliver punchy record-like tones taken at the amp sweet spot for live use, which is exactly what I've been looking for.

guenterhaas: to each their own of course, I figure it's hard to please everyone, but the profiles sound fine through my DXR10. Maybe they'll get a bit too dark with a guitar equipped with very hot humbuckers, but you can always lower the profile gain and clean sense. Can't say anything about how it sounds through in ears though, I hate those things with a passion :p

• guenterhaas: to each their own of course, I figure it's hard to please everyone, but the profiles sound fine through my DXR10. Maybe they'll get a bit too dark with a guitar equipped with very hot humbuckers, but you can always lower the profile gain and clean sense. Can't say anything about how it sounds through in ears though, I hate those things with a passion :p

I used these profiles with in ears last Friday and they sounded spot on! No main out EQ to FOH (or the profiles themselves for that matter) needed, everything was set to 12 o'clock. Soundcheck was done in 2 minutes.

• Just an update, tried these profiles this afternoon with a Matrix GT800FX amp and Marshall V30 2 x 12, Holy shit awesome!

Yet to try with my DXR10. Keep trying to cut down my gear, damn!

My new number 1 profile 3P Plexi Klon 2-1 just replaced Andys JCM800 (Sorry Andy!)

Trainwreck 3, Oh yes!
    Marshall 72, Oh Yes!
    Princeton, Oh Yes!
    3rd Pwr 68 Timmy, Oh yes!

Thanks Michael for taking the time to create these profiles, it's not often you get professional gigging musician giving up his time and his own profiles for masses.

Ezergeezer.

• Hey guys, I don't understand all these discussions..... The MBritt-pack seems to be perfect for guitar-players playing FRFR- or guitar-cabs. Probably a lot of them will use it for cover- and top 40-bands. Many of the profiles around have too much treble for FRFR-cabs, I noticed that, too f.e. using my Matrix Q12a.

I'm a session-player for more than 25 years and live I mainly play big venue-tours (2000+) with state-of-the-art FOH- and monitor-equipment, then I'm using my UE 11 Pro-in ears and no cabs on stage. Playing small clubs I still prefer "real" tube amps.

Let's be tolerant, it's fine that many of you like the pack (that's why I bought it), but it's not the right pack for my purpose, I just didn't read the manual....(infos on the webside). :whistling:
    And because we live in a free world and this is an open-minded forum, I should have the right to post my opinion here without being criticized. Our tastes are different and I prefer the MW-pack and a lot of Armin's and Andy's stuff. Not everybody is posting a critical opinion here (of course he better should...), I got a PN today from a guy who bought the MBritt-pack, made exactly the same experience and deleted all profiles. I kept a few clean profiles, there are some great ones in the pack.

VESmedic: I didn't read your whole post, but 1) please stay formal and 2) if you want to get some information about my work, just visit my webside.
    Deny: today everybody's using in-ears on big tours, if you have the right ones you'll immediately stop to "hate those things with passion".

Edited once, last by guenterhaas ().

• please do not insinuate I am being less than "formal"...I simply disagree with you (just as I am allowed to) and gave reasons for it...Your latest posts, and your "review" (if you want to call it that) of the profiles came off as slightly condescending and less than friendly, maybe take your own advice.

• Yeah.

The only thing, maybe, was this:

putting the KPA-compressor on many profiles is an eyewash, too... Either a profile sounds well without tweaking/adding effects or it's simply not a good profile.

That's not entirely fair, I think :)

• You tried them live yet, cranked ??? I'd be interested to here what ya reckon bud :)