M Britt Kemper Profiles

• Ground Control Pro question for you Michael (or anyone else who might know): I just got one yesterday after watching how easy it was in your video, and seeing that nice bright preset display. Only problem I have is "0" slots. If I switch from 16, 17, 18, 19 - the next is not 20... but 10. I could work around this... except for bank 0, for which there is no Kemper midi number for this. Or is there? It is set up for 1-128, NOT 0-127 as far as I can tell. How do I get around this problem?

Gary ô¿ô

• Ground Control Pro question for you Michael (or anyone else who might know): I just got one yesterday after watching how easy it was in your video, and seeing that nice bright preset display. Only problem I have is "0" slots. If I switch from 16, 17, 18, 19 - the next is not 20... but 10. I could work around this... except for bank 0, for which there is no Kemper midi number for this. Or is there? It is set up for 1-128, NOT 0-127 as far as I can tell. How do I get around this problem?

Unfortunately, the GCP is labeled wrong imo. The buttons should go 0-9 instead of 1-0. That's just a design flaw you have to be aware of when stepping through the presets with the left and right cursor buttons. It doesn't limit you as far as calling up presets once you map it the way you want it though. The GCP doesn't have to call up the exact same program # that matches the preset number. That's just how it comes stock. You can map it to call up whatever program change # you want for each preset in Edit Mode. The instructions for that are in the GCP manual. If you don't have a manual, let me know. I have a .pdf.

On the Kemper, you can assign any rig to any available program change #. Just call up a rig you want to use and hit the "system" button. Scroll to page 5 and "assign" it whatever program change # you want. At first, you may want to just use the factory-assignments in the GCP with the exception of 00. If the assignments are off by 1, you can adjust the GCP in the setup section to start at 0 or start at 1, which should fix that problem. Once you learn to edit the GCP preset parameters, it's pretty easy. For each preset, you can call up a program change, set CC#'s for the expression pedal, rename the preset, etc.

• Unfortunately, the GCP is labeled wrong imo. The buttons should go 0-9 instead of 1-0. That's just a design flaw you have to be aware of when stepping through the presets with the left and right cursor buttons. It doesn't limit you as far as calling up presets once you map it the way you want it though. The GCP doesn't have to call up the exact same program # that matches the preset number. That's just how it comes stock. You can map it to call up whatever program change # you want for each preset in Edit Mode. The instructions for that are in the GCP manual. If you don't have a manual, let me know. I have a .pdf.

On the Kemper, you can assign any rig to any available program change #. Just call up a rig you want to use and hit the "system" button. Scroll to page 5 and "assign" it whatever program change # you want. At first, you may want to just use the factory-assignments in the GCP with the exception of 00. If the assignments are off by 1, you can adjust the GCP in the setup section to start at 0 or start at 1, which should fix that problem. Once you learn to edit the GCP preset parameters, it's pretty easy. For each preset, you can call up a program change, set CC#'s for the expression pedal, rename the preset, etc.

One of my friends works for Voodoo Lab (it is just across town from me too and they make great stuff). Maybe I will suggest that they name them differently!

• By the way, I just ordered your profiles based mostly on the great feedback from this forum and from the samples on your site. I haven't gotten them yet, but I am sure I will really enjoy them once I do. I am looking forward to using them live.

• One of my friends works for Voodoo Lab (it is just across town from me too and they make great stuff). Maybe I will suggest that they name them differently!

Tim,
    I hope they work out for you. As far as the Voodoo Lab GCP, I'm sure it's too late to do anything about the layout but it is kinda illogical to step through the presets 01, 02,…, 09, 00, 11, 12… It really only matters if you're using the left/right cursor buttons, which I often do because it's easier to hit the bottom row than the top row. It just would've made more sense to start with 00 at the top left. First world problems. Ha

• Tim,
    I hope they work out for you. As far as the Voodoo Lab GCP, I'm sure it's too late to do anything about the layout but it is kinda illogical to step through the presets 01, 02,…, 09, 00, 11, 12… It really only matters if you're using the left/right cursor buttons, which I often do because it's easier to hit the bottom row than the top row. It just would've made more sense to start with 00 at the top left. First world problems. Ha

Michael -

Thanks! I am sure they will be great. I was mostly joking about the Ground Control Pro, but I do have a friend that works there! I know what you are saying about the buttons though, I think a lot of midi products can be a little illogical, it is definitely a first world problem! I am the Executive Director of a non profit that does international relief work in 17 countries around the world and I have yet to hear any of my staff complain about their midi foot controller, ha ha! I don't have one since it is a little bigger than I'd like, I use a POD HD500x as a footcontroller for my Kemper, but I'm looking forward to the Kemper foot Controller though. I am a guitarist at my church so that is where I do most of my playing. I am excited to incorporate some of these sounds into the mix, so to speak. I've been playing a Two Rock 35 profile which works well for me and my White Falcon (which is what I usually play onstage mostly because I love it so much). Thanks for all the work on these profiles and for the response!

• Michael - just played through your profiles (with headphones). They really are awesome! Thanks for all the hard work in putting these together and sharing them. I will try them out in a live situation pretty soon, I'm sure they will work great there too! I really like the Marshall rock profile, that one is really nice! Thanks again!

• I appreciate the feedback from you guys. It's nice to know that the profiles are working out for you. I've been working on a bunch of new profiles. Here are some of the amps that I've been working on: Morgan CM50 & TB40, Little Walter 50 & 22, Diezel VH4, '65 Blackface Bassman, ÷13 JRT 9/15, CAA PT100, Bogner Ecstasy, Vox AC30TB, Fender Vibro King, '70 Marshall 100w Super Lead, and '79 Marshall 2-input MKII. Trying to get another good mix of cleans and gain amps with some tones that I didn't have in the first batch like the Vox and higher gain stuff. The ÷13, Little Walter, and Morgan amps have some incredible, fat clean tones for country and modern country stuff. The british Vox was one of the better AC30's I've ever played. And I was trying out a few of the new profiles during Saturday's show. The '70 Marshall is basically a 100w Plexi circuit and it was my favorite solo tone and the Diezel Ch 3 was awesome for our rock medley at the end. I'm gonna live with them and work with them on the road a bit before releasing any more, but I think there will be some good ones in the next pack. I am really gonna have a difficult time deciding which ones to use. My profiles that I've been using are working great for me, but there are a few of the new ones that I like just as much. It's nice having options. Thanks again for your support!

• This is killer news... Awesome
    choice of amps you have there, but I think what's more important is how you profile/your recording chain, so I'm personally happy to see these amps in your hands profile/micd your way! Did you use some of the same technique as you did on your first pack?

• This is killer news... Awesome
    choice of amps you have there, but I think what's more important is how you profile/your recording chain, so I'm personally happy to see these amps in your hands profile/micd your way! Did you use some of the same technique as you did on your first pack?

Yes, I'm still profiling the same way. Every profiling sessions may have slight differences but for the most part it's the same.

• Love your profiles but I think what also really sold me on your demos is that darn Anderson with 3 P90s!
    I'm going to modify one of my Strats with 3 Seymour Duncan Antiquity P-90s.
    I saw Biréli Lagrène play a Yamaha Pacifica 611HFM with a SD P90 in the neck, man what a tone!
    Thanks for sharing your sounds and I'm looking forward to the next batch.

Emilio

• Michael, thanks for the the free profile.

After playing with it, Im sorry for wasting my money on other profiles :(

I tested with a P90 guitar and really sounds close to your demo !

Not thin, over produced, etc.

The treeble booster sound great with this one.

• Tom Anderson Guitars and Kemper ,plus experienced guitarist/musician = killer combination .
    (it seems we have the same paint on our TAG's , see my avatar)

Even I do not have P90 , but H1/3 and HC1/3 in my Anderson (mahogany bodies) , your profiles Mike must sound terrific with my few TAG's .

I find that TAG's pickups have very wide frequency range , at least 10-20% wider than standard pups.
    From that reason , making a good sound with KPA/TAG's could be not easy , since just a slight touch on tone pot can drastically change the output , or if tone pot is set on 10 , I have to compensate strong signal with EQ's ,which I do not like .
    All of this is multiplied if play real amp/cab , amp and KPA on 11 - most of the rest of profiles sound too trebly ,harsh and even too metallic !!!
    Bedroom volumes through QCS sound just nice , not too much treble -but as you increase the volume to max-treble just pop out , and wooden organic sound vanish some how on those high volumes !

So I am glad that people "complain " there is not enough treble ,since it might be the right match for my Drop Top and Bulldog !!!!
    I know KPA is designed for flat response delivery systems, but I like the most real amp head and my Mesa Cab - then KPA sounds better and more organic than real thing .

Also, my message to those complaining about treble is try to play ( rather through amp/cab and ) very looouuud ! You will see there is more than enough treble , but first enough middle and bass , means flash and blood 8)

Cheers,
    Zoran

ps
    DUMBLE - WHEN ???????????? !!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

1988 Branko Radulovic Hand Made Strat in Macedonia (SFRJ)

2006 Steve Vai vwh moded with SS frets and Sustainac 2006 (Japan)

2008 Fender YJM , moded (USA)

2010 Tom Andersons Drop Top 2010 (made in California)

2017 Charvel GG sig Caramelised Ash (USA)

2022 Gibson ES 335 2011 Custom Shop Cherry of course ( Memphis)

Edited 3 times, last by Rescator ().

• A while I didn't use the kemper live, I tried to play with it through a dxr 12 but I couldn't get the sound close to my guitar combo's (65 lil' elvis and the valve combo) whatever I tried. Maybe I'm not too good in tweaking as others do get great results I've read on the forum. With the new firmware and these profiles I must say the bottom end and the high end are much more like the real thing and much more pleasant to the ear. Off course a FRFR never can't mimick exactly the radiation and frequency spectrum of a good wooden combo with 12' speaker, but a kemper and dxr12 is more conveniant to bring along instead of two combo's and a bunch of pedals.
    So thanks for the great profiles, I think the top end in your profiles is great for live performance. I hope with the new profiles you keep your focus on the live-playing! For recording your profiles can also be great, but so are the profiles of Armin, Andy and Frans Plaza which I use when recording.

• It's funny you mention this with your Anderson guitars. I would find that with most of my favorite profiles I love the way they sound in my home studio but didn't love the way they translated to live use. I always found them overly pronounced in the treble frequencies and would need to dial them back. These fit absolutely great in a live mix. I haven't had to touch them at all with my Drop Top, Bulldog, Classic, Pro Am and Raven. They simply sound great in a live mix.