Opinions on the HH 44 Magnum

• I think the best solution for you is the Magnum.
    If you worry about the extra power supply and stuff...just put it into a small aluminium photo camera case , drill some holes for the cables and sockets and you are good to go.

You can carry this small box to other venues and if you take your cabinet to the gig, you might be able to transport it even inside the cabinet.

Bilora 548 Luxus Alu-Koffer Digital B I

Total cost would still be bellow 200,- .

• I have a Powerblock and used it for a while powering a 2x12 and a 4x12. I ran the monitor out into the crate and adjusted volume that way. I was trying to find a way to re-case the powerblock so I could fit it in the back of the Kemper...no luck. It is a reasonable solution with plenty of clean headroom. If you didn't live so far away I could send you mine to try out.....

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

• So, I just checked and the 44 totally fits in the Kemper's rear cavity along with its power supply. You would need:

- Velcro (or something else sticky) to attach them to the chassis. I don't think the 44 would fit sitting on the bottom of the cavity with two right-angled cables, so personally I'd just find some way to stick it to the back wall instead.
    - An IEC cable with a right-angled connector on the power supply, probably. I didn't want to take my whole rig apart for this, so it's possible that a normal cable would have room to twist around and come back out.
    - A right-angled patch cable from the Kemper
    - A right-angled speaker cable

• My experience is that it is always better to spend some extra euros and get the neatest, coolest and most reliable long term soltution which in this case is the Camplifier. If you live in Europe of course. If one day you sell your KPA you will most probably get back this extra money with a Camplifier installed. ;)

• I picked up a 22 calibre, to use as a small practice amp with my Marshall 1x10 cab. Its way louder than I was expecting, the profiles sound great. I just turn the cab models off on the profiles.

These are great little amps and will make a fantastic backup.

• I was looking for the lightest solution out there because my back is quite broken. I cannot be happier. I've been gigging with a 44 during more than one year (first with a pod xt and then with a profiler) and it works wonders. Volume pot rarely goes above 10 o'clock with a heavy hitter drummer. Headroom at 11 o'clock starts to die, but nothing serious because that's already higher than you probably need.

Pros:
    - Lightweight
    - Tons of headroom
    - Great price

Cons:
    - It doesn't have an On/Off switch

• But I calculated that it would cost me around $675.00 CAD at the end for a Camplifier 290.

I am not a Canadian tax system expert, but I would like to point out that users outside of Europe do NOT have to pay the German VAT.

The Camplifier 290 costs 449,- incl. 19% VAT.
    A Canadian would pay about 377,- Euro only.
    Shipping to Canada is 36,- Euro.

Total : 413,- Euro.

VAT in Canada is 5% (that is what the Internet says...) and this may have to be paid when goods are imported.

The Camplifier 290 would be 434,- then.

This would correspond to 614,- CAD using today's exchange rate.

To find out the prices for the Camplifiers outside Europe you need to create a customer account here:
    http://www.shop.ritteramps.de/index.php

or you just have to divide all prices in the shop with 1,19.

449/1,19 = 377,31

Best,
    Tilman

• My experience is that it is always better to spend some extra euros and get the neatest, coolest and most reliable long term soltution which in this case is the Camplifier. If you live in Europe of course. If one day you sell your KPA you will most probably get back this extra money with a Camplifier installed. ;)

+1

For sure in this case the Camplifier would the best solution. I don't really believe that the 44w of the Magnum will offer "tons of headroom", that's unrealistic. I'm owning different FRFR-systems (AER AG8 60w, Matrix Q12a 260w) and a Powerhead (600w), it's always good to have some extra power, especially considering transistor-amps.

The Magnum might be a funny unit with a lot of power for pocket-size, but the Camplifier offers a lot more (fits perfect into the KPA, much more power, stereo-option ect.) and it's not that expensive, considering that it's developed and built by a small local German company and not by E.H. made in China.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

• The 5% tax doesn't apply to imports. However, there is a separate import fee (called "duty" in English), which is set based on the value of the item and what it is (computer, TV, furniture, clothes, etc). The government's website is telling me it could be anywhere from $30 to $70 depending on what category they put a Camplifier in.

Oh...I see.
    Maybe things will change soon, since the EU and Canada are negotiating the CETA agreement right now. 8)
    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/C…nomic_and_Trade_Agreement

Tilman

• Basically, by spending 100-150 € I can use what I have. Since you guys seem so consistent in your opinions, I must certainly be missing something here. Please talk me out of the idea, if you can. But - in the spirit of a good and enlightening discussion - start from my points and show them false, please :)

Well, heavy airline baggage is expensive. That was my main argument for you to shelve the idea of lugging around a 2x12 with you.

I think everyone is just playing the devil's advocate. You seem to have made up your mind, so in the end, that is the most important battle to win. ^^

• @ Nightlight: Oh, you thought I'd travel by plane! No, I'd use the cab just locally :)
    As for friends here playing the devil's advocate... this is just what I was hoping.
    Also, thanks to each of those who supplied their expertise, advices, suggestions: I've read them all and and appreciated them immensely :love:

Talking about what the "best option" is, sometimes we have to deal with P/Q ratio as well. Best option for me would be to own a powered lunchbox, second option to buy a Camplifier. I can't afford either tho.

I was looking for the lightest solution out there because my back is quite broken. I cannot be happier. I've been gigging with a 44 during more than one year (first with a pod xt and then with a profiler) and it works wonders. Volume pot rarely goes above 10 o'clock with a heavy hitter drummer. Headroom at 11 o'clock starts to die, but nothing serious because that's already higher than you probably need.

I picked up a 22 calibre, to use as a small practice amp with my Marshall 1x10 cab. Its way louder than I was expecting, the profiles sound great. I just turn the cab models off on the profiles.
    These are great little amps and will make a fantastic backup.

Thanks guys, I was just looking for confirmation that it can do the job :thumbup:

I have a Powerblock and used it for a while powering a 2x12 and a 4x12. I ran the monitor out into the crate and adjusted volume that way. I was trying to find a way to re-case the powerblock so I could fit it in the back of the Kemper...no luck. It is a reasonable solution with plenty of clean headroom. If you didn't live so far away I could send you mine to try out.....

This is really kind of you, thanks a lot! :love:

I've not had the possibility to hear either units. On my thread on TGP a guy wrote that he preferred the HH over the Crate because he found the mids more linear. Of course these are statements which depend on the application and should be checked with own ears... But the point is that the HH would cost me half the price, and there seems to be no consensus that it's inherently inferior, which is basically the point I was trying to validate.

Thanks again :thumbup:

• I use magnum + 1x12 with one beyma 12ga50. and it´s very very Loud.
    I play with a 12 members band and it´s more than enought.

furthermore my main rig is kemper + yamaha dxr10. and I tell you I can use magnum + beyma in a gig withouth problems.

• Excellent Denis, thanks for chiming in. Where is the limit (perceived volume/knob setting/satisfactory transparency) when you play clean?
    also, I see the beyma's sensitivity is the same as my Celestions. The only issue is I would use them @ 16 ohm. But for heavyweight lifting I'd use the CLR(s) anyway.

• I use magnum + 1x12 with one beyma 12ga50. and it´s very very Loud.
    I play with a 12 members band and it´s more than enought.

furthermore my main rig is kemper + yamaha dxr10. and I tell you I can use magnum + beyma in a gig withouth problems.

Off topic question, sorry
    Denis, how do the Beyma + Magnum compare to the dxr10? I have a Beyma 12ga50 installed in a tech21 PE60 and I love it, but I haven't had a chance to compare it to a dxr10 or clr
    Thanks for your opinion
    Matt

• Hi Folks,

I do not know if this is of any interest anymore, but I kind of promised to look into a "Camplifier ECO" and see what we can do.

The bottom line is : We could do a 105W@8ohms ; 50W@16ohms and (if anyone wants that : 45W@4ohms) unit.

The lowest price (which would hardly make any sense for me but I could still live with) would be 287,- Euro inside the EU and 241,- ROW.

I think this is still too expensive for you guys (since you spend all your money for your KPA already ;) )

If anyone purchases 1000 units and I can have it made in China, prices might get lower though......

Greetings from Dresden / Germany !
    Tilman

• Hey Tilman, is that a typo or the nominal power @ 4 ohm is actually lower than the nominal power @ 16 ohm? I kind of expected 145 W...

And yes, manufacturing in Germany is expensive...

:)