Ambrosi Amps' K-Power Amps - Retrofit poweramp solutions for the Lunchbox - With pictures & videos

• Stumbled into this entirely by accident... I was umming and arring over the Camplifier and it's price and whether it's worth it to a bedroom warrior, but this has my name written all over it!

I'm just trying to be as truthful to my experience and personal opinion that I'm clearly presenting only as a personal opinion no more no less in an honest and truthful discussion about equipment.

• Well, I've opened this thread for collecting opinions on the matter, and opinions have come :)
    Some news:

:thumbup: Andrea Ambrosi Himself is coming to my place from the East coast to install and measure the prototype on the field and compare it with the CLR

:thumbup: I've got a tool for measuring SPL

:thumbup: We'll use a professional camera for shooting and recording

Quite excited if you ask me ^^

• Yeah! Me, too.

Sound Engineer, Musician, Animal Rights Activist.

Fender '89 Clapton Strat, EMG DG20, KPA, Martin, SSL, Neve, Manley, Tube-Tech, Millennia, API, Lynx, RME, Avid, Apple, Adam...

• I don't know if its already been mentioned, but ISP make a great little stereo power amp called a stealth, it's about $500 here in Australia. It's stereo and runs class a/b. I've seen someone with it fitted to their Kemper toaster, not heaps neat but is at least compact and by all accounts loud and nice sounding

• This is really exciting - I didn't expect Ambrosi to make progress so quickly! I'll add my thanks for keeping us all in the loop - great stuff!

It's also really timely in light of Kemper's announcements for improved direct amp/ cabinet separation (as this should improve performance for anyone experimenting with traditional cabinets vs. FRFR, or those who need to run hybrid setups with guitar cabs on stage and cab sim feed to house.) I keep circling around to the Kemper forum thinking today's the day I post mine for sale, but developments like these give pause.

You might also consider an EH 44Magnum, if you don't mind not having a perfect retrofit solution in terms of real estate. It would also be around 1-2 dB louder than the Ambrosi.

Viabroce, I've considered the Magnum 44 a couple of times, as it's so inexpensive and so easy to acquire in the U.S. It would be basically invisible velcro'd to the back of a 2x12 or whatever. Have you actually tried one with the Kemper, and if so what did you think? My concern is that it wouldn't have sufficient clean headroom to do the KPA justice, given it's relatively low SS power rating. I assumed it was voiced to break up pretty early and add character of its own.

I've also considered using an inexpensive car audio power amp - essentially what Line 6 did in the Vetta amps - but then you've got to figure out impedance matching, power supply, etc. and that's a whole new research project.

• This is really exciting - I didn't expect Ambrosi to make progress so quickly! I'll add my thanks for keeping us all in the loop - great stuff!

Well, the amp is a very standard project, really nothing fancy or particularly creative. The layout was the main issue, since everything had to retrofit the Profiler.
    He preferred to avoid class-D amp and switching transformers (his background is tube amps design). Then he added his usual battery of safety facilities, services, thermal and overcurrent protections and the like.
    Also, he chose a 100-W transformer for higher headroom and peak currents.

I've considered the Magnum 44 a couple of times, as it's so inexpensive and so easy to acquire in the U.S. It would be basically invisible velcro'd to the back of a 2x12 or whatever. Have you actually tried one with the Kemper, and if so what did you think? My concern is that it wouldn't have sufficient clean headroom to do the KPA justice, given it's relatively low SS power rating. I assumed it was voiced to break up pretty early and add character of its own.

I've not, since I contacted Andrea for the custom project I gave up everything else. Reports from users who have are good tho.
    Basically, the SPL you'll get depends on the loudspeaker's efficiency.

:)

• I don't know if its already been mentioned, but ISP make a great little stereo power amp called a stealth, it's about $500 here in Australia. It's stereo and runs class a/b. I've seen someone with it fitted to their Kemper toaster, not heaps neat but is at least compact and by all accounts loud and nice sounding

ISP Stealth costs about the same as the Camplifier 290 over here... certainly breaks my bank.

I'm just trying to be as truthful to my experience and personal opinion that I'm clearly presenting only as a personal opinion no more no less in an honest and truthful discussion about equipment.