Question about switching latency

• Having played with a mate's Kemper, I'm pretty keen to get one and potentially make the switch from my Axe-FX II. However, since I need the device mainly for live playing I am concerned about the switching latency many users have experienced with their MIDI controllers. This is a deal breaker for me. Not only is this issue virtually non-existent with the Axe-FX, I actually circumvent patch-switching problems entirely by using an expression pedal to pan between two different amp sounds when required. This means zero dropout and I don't have to worry about my clumsy feet hitting the wrong buttons or mis-timing the switchover. Neither of these solutions seem to be available to the Kemper user.

Is there any talk from the developers about reducing the amount of switching latency between rigs?

• Interesting. I've definitely read comments elsewhere (not on this site) from some users describing noticeable latency with the FCB controller. Personally, I would hope to continue using my MFC-101 controller, at least initially. Anyone here also using this?

• The switching latency in Performance mode was recently reduced with a firmware upgrade (2.5, I think. We're now on 2.7). One user on here measured it. I can't remember the exact figures, but the time it took to switch rigs was less than the time it took for his foot to release the pedal.

Cheers,
    Sam

• Hey Sam.

That was me.

Prior to 2.6 firmware, the switching latency was measured at around 200-250 mSec in performance mode.

Using the 2.6 firmware, I did another measurement and it is now around 90mSec (less than 1/10th of a second). As pointed out, the sound transient of my foot lifting off of the pedal as I tapped it happened after the rig change. It instantaneous as far as the human ear can tell.

There is a report that there is an issue with the 2.7 firmware though in another thread. I am still running 2.6 so I can't verify this.

• Honestly, I don't think its that some people have latency and some don't, I think it's more a difference in people's perception of acceptable latency. I tried several Kempers and they all have the same behavior. Eliminate the pedal and change rigs right on the KPA and there is latency. For me, I have some songs that pull tight timing based changes that require no switching latency and the Kemper just can't handle that. But the truth is... not many can. I also have a GSP1101, Gmajor2, etc. that all exhibit the same behavior. The only device that was able to perform instance changes was the Axe Fx II. This has been the biggest issue for me (along with lack of editor) that sometimes make me want to go back to the Axe Fx but I've learned to adapt. I now create rigs for those songs that require instant changes to utilize IA switching instead of rig switching... of course you are limited to one amp but can use multiple stomps to alter your rigs.

• It may have to do as much with exactly when people press the button to make the Rig change.

If someone presses the button exactly on the downbeat of a measure, and hits a chord at the same time (a non-musical idea with any tube or digital amp), they may hear a sound change, even if it is just a few milliseconds after the downbeat.

Some people have a history with older gear that required anticipating the downbeat of the next measure to make a clean sound change. A box with a 30ms switch latency required being 1/32 note early, at 120BPM. Those people don't have a latency iissue with the Kemper, because they learned how to keep older gear from making strange noises at the beginning of a measure, and it is even easier with the Kemper, especially since v2.5.

• even when I was playing a 3 channel tube amp, I was switching a tiny bit before I needed the sound.
    Same with stompboxes (even analog ones) - it's common sense, really.

It's like the old photography rule: 'You can't photograph what you see." You have to anticipate the moment - otherwise you're too late.
    This one comes from the era of analog film cameras btw. ;)

• even when I was playing a 3 channel tube amp, I was switching a tiny bit before I needed the sound.
    Same with stompboxes (even analog ones) - it's common sense, really.

It's like the old photography rule: 'You can't photograph what you see." You have to anticipate the moment - otherwise you're too late.
    This one comes from the era of analog film cameras btw. ;)

This is another analog era saying that is still true. While digital SLRs are fast, the digital camera in my iPhone has TERRIBLE latency.