Poor Sound Quality

• wow that does sound bad.. to me seems like a bit of bad AD/DA how do you have your kemper connected? there is not 2 inputs doing the same thing is there? some internal feedback or something?

However here is the bad news..

I had soemthing versy simular as this few years ago with a tele, worked great with some amps.. and others it would do as your clip is.. the guitar was back n forth to the guitar tech and whatever he did the sound problems still were there. - bottom line, I replaced the Pickups and all was Ok.. I agree that this is NOT normal thing to have to do.. but as a test try this..

Load up a rig, Roll the tone down slowly,, does the bad stuff disappear? - If its still noticeable when tone is rolled off completely, then its a dodgy pole piece. - Although in fairness, I DOUBT HIGHLY that it is this, as you have already tried a different guitar.

Try it with headphones.. if it still happens then the input on the kemper might be faulty.

IF it now happens on ANY rig you use then there is defo some fault somewhere..

• Hi Andy . Tried your test & yes the bad stuff does disappear when I roll the tone off. It is the same whether listening through headphones, main outs or monitor outs. The funny thing is clean rigs sound O.K. (not great, but o.k.) it seems to be the distorted rigs that are giving me problems (especially the ones just on the verge of breakup). Does exactly the same with your AC30 pack as well. I agree does sound like bad conversion & I have been in touch with Kemper support.

• How long does it normally take for support to get back to you? I emailed them on Sunday, still haven't heard back from them.

• It does it to some degree with all distorted rigs, both factory & commercial, however clean rigs don't seem to be affected. I have already checked the Parallel Path option & it is off.

• I tried installing older firmware versions & a whole manner of other things as per Kemper's suggestion , but no joy, I even put new pickups in my Strat just in case, still the same. It's having to go back to Kemper!! Not a happy bunny!!

• I think it may be a similar problem - however if it was an intonation issue, surely it would be apparent through a real amp as well - it isn't!! I'm 99.9% sure that the fault lies with the Kemper.

• @ dbel

I have something similar with my strat that doesn't seem to affect any of my other guitars, the strat is the only single coil. Sounds like a separate signal injected into the main tone, possibly, as has been said an AD/DA artifiact. I just put it down to single coil and the amount of high frequency content - most obvious in the bridge.

Like your example it's much more evident when you go from clean to breakup and the more you dig in the more noticable it becomes.

I don't suppose you have a D.I track that could be re-amped and see if that still has the same issue. Just triggered an idea in myself if I can record D.I straight into my interface and send that via SPDIF to re-amp and see if that affects what I'm hearing using the strat (Texas specials)

It would be a good reference if Andy could supply a D.I of the performance behind the sound clips so once we had the pack we could just re-amp and check for parity...hint ;)

• I can't try that at the moment, my Kemper is away to Kemper to be checked out. Which Amp Factory profiles were you using?