OK Testing FW 3.0! [How Kemper works? All amps sound similar]?

• Hi, with the new FW - I have a feeling that Kemper boosts the low freq? What do you think? Last MW profiles also have a lot of low freq. IMO
    My Comparison Mesa SIngle vs Torpedo vs Kemper.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Stay Metal!

I'll agree with Deadlight. There is a little bit more low end to the Kemper sound, but the difference between Amp/Kemper is quite insignificant IMO (especially compared to Amp/Torpedo). I guess this comparison was done without any EQ changes on the Kemper? I know this thread is about A/B comparisons, but I guess you could dial out the additional low end by reducing the bass just a little bit. Other than that, the Kemper profile seems to be spot on...

Edit:Just did a quick random A/B test of the mixes. I wasn't able to distinguish between Amp and Kemper mixes. (Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 -> Shure SRH840)

• Now that sounds like it could be very interesting!

Are you trying to compare the real cab vs the Kemper cab?

The amp will react in a different way without the real cab so the Real Cab+mic vs Kemper Cab block comparison will not be valid. If you add the real cab to the chain (using the thru output of the Torpedo) the amp will react the same in both chains.

• well, Torpedo soft its not Perfect IMO, Voxengo also... but... :D give me some time - working on Pack IR for Torpedo :thumbup: if you want you can be my beta tester 8o Just send me email: [email protected]

Stay Metal!

Hey Sin,
    That sounds interesting!
    One thing I didn't like about the torpedo is cuts down the IR's to about 20ms IIRC so its not that much different than an axe-fx
    Would be great if there was a hardware IR loader that could do the full wav file

• Hey Sin,
    That sounds interesting!
    One thing I didn't like about the torpedo is cuts down the IR's to about 20ms IIRC so its not that much different than an axe-fx
    Would be great if there was a hardware IR loader that could do the full wav file

The reason that the torpedo live does not sound as good is because it is a load box, combined with an IR loader. Due to the fact that the load is highly different from the complex impedance curve that a real cabinet will provide, you simply cannot expect the same sonic structure. But this is a problem with any loadbox or power soak. I always recommend to not use any of these.

Speaker Emulation does not need long IRs. The KPA does not even capture a small reverb tail. It´s important for reverbs, not cabs or EQs. The whole story with "ultra resolution" and 30 seconds IRs is mainly a marketing mechanism.

• I have to say that I noticed the same thing today when I did some new profiles. I had laid off for a while waiting for the new 3.0 software to get a few bugs worked out. Today I profiled my old Marshall SLX, a H&K Switchblade and a Laney GH50L. Now I think all three of these new profiles sound great, but My mic broke on the first one so I was left with doing only direct profiles and merging a cab in that I had saved. I could make the profiles sound different by changing the gain. All of these amps have some high gain ability but a couple have much more than the Marshall. When I got done, they sounded good, but VERY similar. Perhaps my old ears are tired but something seems to have changed. I do think its associated with the higher gain amps. I did a couple of clean amps today also and they sounded very different and unique.

No more pawnshop mics for me, I broke down and ordered me my first m57 today.

• That may be it. I also noticed that you can do a direct profile and then start looking for a cab to add to it. While you scroll through the sound changes just like it used to do as you hit each cab. After you get to a cab and hit merge, then it seems to get real woofy or bassy. I'm going got play around it some more tonight.

• Don't hit merge when Amp and Cab are already seperated! Merging has been done before, seperating Head and Cab. Merging again would do that exact process again.

This! The Merging process is actually doing the opposite : it's separating the Cab portion from the pre and power amp portion (Direct profile) of the Studio profile. It's only called merging because it's "adding" the Direct profile to the Studio profile so that that is what is fed to the powered output in to a guitar cab onstage. Otherwise it's the Studio profile you're hearing.

• This! The Merging process is actually doing the opposite : it's separating the Cab portion from the pre and power amp portion (Direct profile) of the Studio profile. It's only called merging because it's "adding" the Direct profile to the Studio profile so that that is what is fed to the powered output in to a guitar cab onstage. Otherwise it's the Studio profile you're hearing.

The Messe 2015 video of Olli Lohmeier from session music was etremely informative, though it was in german only. He interviewed Helge from Kemper about the exact process. According to his information the cab profile that is pasted into the direct profile is recalculated when hitting the merge button and then the pasted cab profile is replaced by the new cab profile. I really think we need this video with english subtitles.

• The Messe 2015 video of Olli Lohmeier from session music was etremely informative, though it was in german only. He interviewed Helge from Kemper about the exact process. According to his information the cab profile that is pasted into the direct profile is recalculated when hitting the merge button and then the pasted cab profile is replaced by the new cab profile. I really think we need this video with english subtitles.

Ah, so it's the other way around, then. The separated Cab is pasted on to the Direct profile? Of course, this makes the most sense. I just remember reading one of the mods explaining that the Studio profile and the Merged profile with Cab engaged were identical. This wouldn't be the case, then.

• Ah, so it's the other way around, then. The separated Cab is pasted on to the Direct profile? Of course, this makes the most sense. I just remember reading one of the mods explaining that the Studio profile and the Merged profile with Cab engaged were identical. This wouldn't be the case, then.

Hmm... I don't see why it wouldn't be the case?