A Little bummed out.

• Ok I bought the KPA primarily to use with a cover band that does a fairly wide variety of styles. I tried a combo amp and a giant pedal board before the Kemper and it was ridiculous to set up and transport not to mention a tap dance to change tones.

I use the KPA w an Atomic CLR atop a Bogner single 12 w/ ss power amp.( see my avatar) This combination sounds pretty damn good! Im primarily using MBritt profiles

I also have a low key "blues" restaurant gig I do every Friday ( same spot last 10 years and running!!)

For the "blues" thing I use a "real" tube amp. The gig doesn't require a lot of tones.

Well my tube amp needed to be shipped back to the builder (RedPlate) for repair...no problem I thought, Ill just bring the KPA

Well heres what I quickly realized....

A) The KPA headphone output tones sound amazing..I don't use my tube amps at home anymore. Strictly headphones. Very inspiring ...play for hours!

B) The Atomic CLR ( Main Out w cab sim) sounds good but not as crunchy / sparkly as the headphones and doesn't move air like a standard guitar cab.. Not terribly inspiring

C) The Bogner single 12 w/ EVM speaker/ power amp ( monitor out / no cab sim) sounds the worst of the three. Moves air but no sparkle no crunch/ boxy sounding.. uninspiring

BOTH cabs together seem to add what the other is lacking but it's not realistic to drag the two cabs/ amp to this small room blues gig so I initially was going to just bring the guitar cab.

Not gonna happen. Not happy with either cab on its own.

I've tried setting up the out put eq for direct and main out but haven't been happy yet.

Is it time I look into direct amp profiles? Ive read of some discontent over this. Maybe create some rigs especially for just one cab?

Kinda bummed I gotta be honest. Im going to bring my Egnater Tweaker and leave the KPA at home and that sucks.

The guy I gig with on Friday is a tube amp "purist" ( anti ANYTHING but tubes) and I really wanted to school him on how good the KPA sounds but obviously Im not up to speed yet.

Edited 12 times, last by sugarlou ().

• Thanks boblaz!

If I show up with half of this rig his belief that the KPA doesn't cut it will be confirmed and I would have to agree at this point.

How do I get the sound from the headphone out ( or at least much closer) to the cabinet?

I thought the CLR was a great choice for this application but Im not getting the same killer sounds Im hearing in the headphones to the cab.

I tried messing with the output section EQ . I'll keep at it. I'll also create a rig specifically voiced/ EQ'd for each cab on its own I guess.

When I first got the KPA a couple months ago I was very excited about the possibility of ending my GAS for tube amps.

Haven't given up but was back online looking at "real" amps last night .

Edited 2 times, last by sugarlou ().

• A comparison between the Headphone Out and the CLR and/or a speaker cabinet is imho not fair, because headphones are stereo and sitting next to your ears. Headphones and the CLR also are covering a totally different frequency range compared to a speaker cabinet.

You can get decent sounds with headphones, with the CLR and with a speaker cabinet, but the approaches are different. You should keep that in mind.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• For the "blues" thing I use a "real" tube amp. The gig doesn't require a lot of tones.

Maybe increasing the Cab Volume (on the Cabinet parameter page) slightly might help the tone a little?

If it was me, I'd just take a combo amp if the gig didn't require a lot of different tones and/or effects.

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• You should really spend some time tweaking a special rig for this purpose, start by choosing the one that sounds the best.

but first, Be sure to EQ your output (Master button) until you're satisfied with results, it can be very different settings with the CLR or the Bogner

Bogner cab option :
    lock your CAB off on the KPA and browse the rigs once you found one that sounds natural on your bogner cab then tweak : definition , clarity and so on until you're satisfied. I had similar problems with a solid state combo but I eventually managed to find one rig that definitely sounds like a vintage tube amp. I'm ready for gigging with this single rig, maybe get 2 & 3 variations of the same rig with Rhythm/Crunch/lead rigs.

Other option is to tweak the KPA for the CLR , lots of users here reported some fantastic results , maybe some can suggest the best rigs for this option.

• It sounds like the cabs, not the KPA are keeping you from the best tones. Maybe a small tube amp is better for this gig if this means less gear to have to bring. Can you just output direct to FOH and not have to use the extra cab?

• I've learned to never try out profiles or do any tweaking with headphones. Always try to tweak with your cab your going to use live and at volume if possible. Also check out the cab I use. It's a Mission Gemini, it has more mid range punch and less harsh highs than a lot of FRFR setups, more like a traditional cab but still giving the frequency response all the way up to 20k. Either way, getting your sound from headphones and then using 2 different cabs must have your ears running in a billion directions. Simplify what you're working with and I think you'll be much happier with the results. Good luck!

• <p>

You should really spend some time tweaking a special rig for this purpose, start by choosing the one that sounds the best.<span style="line-height:1.28">.

This. Do it at gig levels to avoid the Fletcher-Munson trap (i.e. dialing in too much bass and treble) and do it with the CLR because the CLR will exactly show how the profiles you use actually sound.

Learn to tweak the amp menu parameters first and if it doesn't get you where you want make use of EQ.

• Ingolf and waraba are spot on. I've been gigging for allmost 2 yrs with a CLR and like anything else took a little time to find the right tonal balance to cover all bases. The amp and cab settings are your friend try them

• I haven't explored the cab settings. Just found a profile I liked and adjusted the output EQ. I'll certainly look into it. Thanks for the tips but it looks like it's a tube combo tomorrow night. I can't have my buddy saying "see that electronic gizmo sounds like ass".

• Further to all the excellent replies and advice already provided, I would offer the following...which is more of a change of mind-set and perspective than anything else. In fact, it may sound trivial, but could make a profound influence on how you approach your KPA in relation to playing through either a FRFR or guitar cab.

Instead of trying to get your KPA live set-up to sound like whatever tone you are hearing when listening through headphones, focus on getting your KPA live set-up to sound like, equivalent to, or at the same satisfaction level, as when you are playing live through your Redplate amp. You got to flip this sucker around. ;)

This may take some time and tweaking with your KPA plus CLR combination, and/or KPA plus Bogner 1x12 combination. You probably shouldn't expect to have it ready for tomorrow's gig, even if you had started working on this earlier today. As has already been mentioned, if your goal / intention is to use your KPA live, then never audition profiles and program a rig, intended for this purpose, through headphones. Any favorite rigs that you have created that you enjoy through your headphones, you should rename on your KPA by adding some character or text to indicate it has been specifically tailored and approved (by you) for headphone playing.

This will differentiate the headphone-based rigs from all your other rigs, and especially the rigs you create to work successfully (I have no doubt) for live playing. As has already been mentioned, when you are developing favorite Rigs for use in live playing scenarios, you should do this at near or equivalent volume levels you will be using at gig.

Even in that case, you might want to save new rigs with names that identify them as working best with your either your FRFR-based CLR, or your traditional Bogner 1x12 guitar cab. In which case, you will probably have Cabinets enabled on your CLR-specific profiles, and disabled on your Bogner cab-specific profiles.

Good luck, sugarlou. I am confident you will be able to construct tones on your KPA that you will be proud to use live, and even impress your tube-purist gig buddy. :thumbup:

Edited 4 times, last by Tritium ().

• I don't think this guy will give the thumbs up even if he does think it sounds great. "Theres no tubes it aint good! "( whatever! )

I initially adjusted the amp settings when I found the profiles I liked. I found them with headphones then adjust them through the cabs (both) at gig levels ( loud). And came up with something that works for me for loud live cover gigs.

Last night I went into the cab setting and started adjusting them. It seemed to me that the settings at 0/0 or straight up sounded the best. Maybe a little bump in cab volume but for the most part seem they are already optimized.

I was using just the CLR at gig level ( for this gig VERY low) and that adds another hump to get over. I think it's much easier to get good tones with higher volumes.

People are saying (and rightfully so) "just bring a small tube combo amp" . Thats what I will do tonight. But Ill keep at it because I didn't buy this KPA to play in my house w headphones. Theres plenty of computer software for that.

Right now if I A/B the Redplate and the KPA/ CLR its painfully obvious what is the "real" amp and what is the facsimile. (Henry designed some seriously toneful circuits)

Admittedly Im not big on "tweaking" sounds. As I move frequency around I say to myself "that sound different. Better? I dunno but different" . It goes around and around until I can't tell if the changes are better or just different. Its frustrating and the main reason I got rid of the Axe.

I think Ill start saving a bunch of different EQ settings with the same rig so I can quickly scroll through them to make the differences more obvious and quick to compare.

I'm more of a plug n play type. Tube amps with simple EQ have always been my preference. If I can't quickly dial up a tone that lets me play without "listening" to the sound of the amp I get distracted listening to the sound and not making music. Apparently the KPA is not as plug n play as I anticipated. Either that or Im a picky S.O.B.

I'll keep at it . If anyone has settings/rig recommendation for the CLR / KPA/ Fender Strat feel free to share!

Edited once, last by sugarlou ().

• Well you cant really compare the real redplate amp, with the Kemper + CLR. - your hearing the source amp versus the recorded source amp, tonally they will sound very different

If however you miced the amp the same way as the profile.. then listend to both, the test would be more accurate.. better still, mic the amp yourself then profile it the way you like it.

Redplate amps are amazing btw. - and they can be troubslsome to replicate as redplate are forever changing (inconsistencies).

i know what you are saying about the headphone output. and i agree .

i know what you are saying about the CLR not moving air. and i disagree .

:D

Note: increasing the cab's volume doesn't affect the tone more than increasing the profile's volume. The amplification you get in both cases is perfectly linear.

:)

• I think Ill start saving a bunch of different EQ settings with the same rig so I can quickly scroll through them to make the differences more obvious and quick to compare.

I'm more of a plug n play type. Tube amps with simple EQ have always been my preference. If I can't quickly dial up a tone that lets me play without "listening" to the sound of the amp I get distracted listening to the sound and not making music. I'll keep at it . If anyone has settings/rig recommendation for the CLR / KPA/ Fender Strat feel free to share!

I've had mine for 2 years and just now getting to know it more.
    Although I'll occasionally try out some free profiles in the Rig Exchange (mainly if there are clips available), I'll stick to the paid profiles. I've never been disappointed with them, they're insanely cheap compared to buying the real amp, and I'm not going to waste time auditioning a million free profiles to find a good one. The MBritt profiles are what I use 95% of the time.

In regards to tone tweaking, I have started to put the EQ Cut The Mix preset in my X slot and another one in the D Stomp slot called something like Cut The Mud E-A Strings (not the exact name, but close) on the majority of my presets and leaving them on. It really helps.

I have found that different guitars require different Performances and tones....especially between my Strats, Les Paul, and Telecaster. I'll copy a Performance and then tweak the EQ and/or dirt for the different guitars.

Make sure you create a backup when you do extensive editing and rig creation.

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• I'm not trying to replicate the Redplate per se. Just trying to get closer to what I'm hearing in the cans. There's qualities there that are missing through either cab. I haven't placed an EQ altering devices in the stomp slots and frankly I don't know what the x slot means but I'm reading this at work. The KPA isn't in front of me. I'll look into it after work.