Please implement standard IR resolution time for the cab simulation

• Hi, Previously bying a Kemper, I had a setup, taking the DI signal from the speaker input at the cab (scaled down to line level) into my DAW using Redwirez speaker IR's with extreemly authentic result!! The reason to the fantastic result is the Redwirez IR's. They are 750 ms and therefor containing, far mic'ing signal, cab resonance, ambient reflections etc etc, opposed to Kempers 40 ms IR. I bought a Kemper because it's more convenient in my home studio. However, I'm very disappointed with the Kemper IR-part which does not capture the whole spectrum of material of professionaly mic'ed speaker. Will that change? :(

• Welcome!

Kemper is not about IR at all and personally I would never go back to or record again with IR's.
    Kemper cabs are far superior to the IR concept IMO.
    Also, concerning IR's it has been stated several times by Jay Mitchell that longer or so called 'HD' IR's are NOT superior and he's a trustworthy source.

• Unfortunately, the Kemper transcoder appears to perform a minphase transform when importing IR's (or creating new ones through profiling.) On the one hand, this eliminates speaker-to-mic latency and reduces DSP overhead by reducing the filter taps to the minimum that get the job done, but as you may have noticed it wipes out audible room reflections and slapback delays resulting from near+far miking. I don't imagine this changing.

• Yes, I guess that Kemper had to do a compromise when designing the cab-part of the profiler. Still, I'm sure that there is a better solution which is including room reflections and cab resonance and keep the low latency, which I agree, is a huge advantage of Kemper:-)
    PS. Fractal captures 185 ms opposed to Kempers 40 ms. DS

• I'm in the same boat, and found that either browsing other cabs made with Kemper profiles has given some great results, or using the Ownhammer IR's to work very well. When converting the Redwirez, something was clearly missing - I don't know if cabmaker 2.0 has made a difference, as not needed to try. I did lookup some of my favourite mics/cabs and save the cab portions of these profiles and then demo them.

The high filter and character in the cabinet section go a long way to help also.

• Yeah, the Kemper speaker sim is far better than any IR file based cab sim I've encountered. It might be nice to additionally have an IR verb as part of the Kemper to give a nice room sound, but I wouldn't want to use IR's for cabs instead of the inbuilt pre 3.0 system, that would be a real step down.

• Yes, I guess that Kemper had to do a compromise when designing the cab-part of the profiler. Still, I'm sure that there is a better solution which is including room reflections and cab resonance and keep the low latency, which I agree, is a huge advantage of Kemper:-)
    PS. Fractal captures 185 ms opposed to Kempers 40 ms. DS

Apples and oranges. If you were to take one of Fractal's 185 ms IR's and apply a minphase transform to that, I would expect that it too would be of similar length.

-djh

• Still, I'm sure that there is a better solution which is including room reflections and cab resonance and keep the low latency, which I agree, is a huge advantage of Kemper:-)

the coloring properties of the room as well as the cab resonances do become part of the CABINET section.
    there is however no reverb captured, use the Space and Reverb stomps for that.