* fixed * ..... KPA really needs a much better EFX Slot Compressor ..... * fixed *

• 18-06-2015 - Fixed / Solution Found => see post here:-

* fixed * ..... KPA really needs a much better EFX Slot Compressor

Hey all

I love my KPA ......and I know I have posted this before ....... but .........

see here from the 1m 40s mark => https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSgxN3rp54U

I know the "Stack" Compressor is good for what it does, but it doesn't work or react anything like a "normal" front end compressor

Just listen to how clear / transparent / invisible this cheap clone of the [amazing] Diamond [ Optical ] Yellow Compressor.

Compression like this is impossible to get with the KPA EFX Slot Comp.

By comparison, the KPA EFX Slot compressor is *very* colored / murky / tone-sapping ...... honestly ...... if you want EFX Slot compression that is even remotely in the ballpark of anything that is transparent / clear / non-tone-sapping, you simply cannot use this EFX Slot compressor.

I wonder -and am hoping- that a future [ soon ] firmware will give us a much better EFX Slot Compressor.

Its really weird because when I got my KPA I went through and gave all the EFX a good run and I was immediately struck by how excellent they all were ..... but from the instant I messed with the EFX Slot Comp I could instantly hear that it was/is nowhere in the league of the other efx ......... (?)

Ben

Edited 3 times, last by benifin ().

• ..... by thy way, Im not in any way having -or- meaning to have a go at Kemper at all ..... its just that in terms of the [ excellent ] arsenal of EFX in the KPA, this stock EFX Slot compressor is a real [ big time ] miss.....

• Maybe you're right ...... in fairness though, that doesn't mean its a "good" comp :)

My guess / sense is that a lot [ maybe most ] KPA users don't use the EFX Slot comp (?)

Having said that ..... if any KPA user can post EFX Slot Comp settings that sound anything like the clarity / transparency / tonal-neutrality of the above video-clip Id be rapped and eat the proverbial humble pie .....

........but I reckon I've spent more time that most [ probably way too much time ] trying to dial-it-in the EFX Slot comp .... and put simply ...... "you cant make wine with chalk" .... :)

Christoph Kemper clearly has amazingears for designing guitar tones, eq's, efx etc....... just amazing ..... maybe he just didn't work on the "comp" module.

• What is a good comp? The KPA is used by so many pro guitarists all over the world and nobody complains about the slot comp.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• I saw the video, the solution is simple: just use a combination of Slot Comp + Slot EQ and you will have all these sounds and more.

I use a lot the compressor and I compare it with great real compressor like DynaComp and Keeley and the KPA one has nothing missing from those.
    What I hope in the future is to have an additional parameter like "EQ" "Tone Shape" directly on the compressor to free one slot instead of using an EQ dedicated slot.

• I'd gladly take an attack/release/ratio on the compressor. Admittedly, most compressors either pre-set those or cram several of them into the same knob, but if the Profiler is ever to really replace a pedalboard, it needs to be able to be many compressors, not just one.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• I'd gladly take an attack/release/ratio on the compressor. Admittedly, most compressors either pre-set those or cram several of them into the same knob, but if the Profiler is ever to really replace a pedalboard, it needs to be able to be many compressors, not just one.

I agree on this, the actul compressor is very good but it is just one, other implementation should be very good...

• The only way I can put it is that you will know when you are hearing and using a really good compressor because ........you won't hear it.

Sure there are [ maybe some (?) ] players who like/prefer a compressor which is very colouring and which alters the original tone etc..... but I don't know any :)

And whilst I too originally thought I could " fake " transparent compression by sticking an EQ after the exisiting comp, all that did was give me "clearer" crappy compression.

No amount of eq / filtering etc...... can make a muddy, tone-affecting compressor react and sound like a clear and transparent compressor.

The algorithms or modelling or processing etc..... that are baked in to the existing EFX Slot comp are just not at all clear / transparent / invisible ....... period.

This is not an anti-KPA issue ...... I utterly love my KPA ...... I am just surprised that even though we are now some 3 or so years down the track -and- after numerous FW updates, that the EFX Slot compressor is still so sub-standard relative to the quality and implementation and sound of all the other efx in the KPA.

Ben

• I haven't had the issue where I thought it wasn't transparent enough.
    I think saying that the mark of a good compressor is that you don't hear it is a fair bit off the mark.
    If you want a un-noticable compressor pedal you'd probably go for an optical comp as they tend to sound fairly invisible.
    I like to go for an obvious sound from a pedal comp (for cleans and country etc) But I had to try many pedals before I found one that best suited my needs.
    One generic comp, isn't going to get you there.

Have you tried using the compressor in the X slot and dialing back the blend? that should get you a fairly clean sound.

• The stomp compressor in the Profiler is a faithful recreation of a vintage compressor pedal. These compressors always had a ratio of 1:infinity, effectively making them really a limiter.

The Profiler's behaves and sounds exactly like I expect a compressor pedal to sound, although I find it cleaner and much more neutral in tone than some I played. Therefore I really don't get your 'muddy' & 'tone effecting' comments.

• that's part of the problem! "Modelled on a vintage compressor but cleaner".
    The thing is neither Arther or Martha!
    We need a good old fashioned comp (script dyno or Ross like) For stomps, And, a studio style comp like and LA2a or something for the X slot.

• Hi telelogic

=> putting the comp in " X " puts it *after* everything on the post side if I'm not mistaken (?) ...... in real rigs the comp is usually [ always ] the first efx after the wah ....

Hi Don

=> do you know if the compressor it was modelled on was an optical compressor (?)

Ben

• Not the case!
    If you put a compressor "after the wah" Your comp is going to squash your sweep drastically!
    If you want smooth compression put is after the mic' i.e. after the stack.

• We need a good old fashioned comp (script dyno or Ross like) For stomps

but that's what the compressor stomp is ;)
    put EQ in front of it to alter the response

And, a studio style comp like and LA2a or something for the X slot.

personally, I have never seen a guitar rig with a LA2a.
    I know it became fashionable with the advent of modelers to slap a (model of a) studio compressor or two on pretty much everything, in the hope that this would improve the tone - which it didn't needless to say ;)

I think I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve.

• I've never seen a guitar rig with post mic effects!
    This is the kemper we are talking about! Old rules don't apply.
    In my old touring rig I found that some effects worked well before the amp, some in loops and some after the mic.
    The "after the mic" effects lived in the FOH racks and got applied at that point in the chain.
    In the studio I may put eq, comp or other modudes after the mic to shape the sound.

P's: please don't accuse me of having learned my craft by pissing around with line 6 garbage ; )